Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Liquor industry's new pitch: How to drink on a diet"

Liquor industry's new pitch: How to drink on a diet

Christopher Lawton

Wall Street Journal, Dec. 17, 2003 10:28 AM

link to article

In a world where it's OK for dieters to load up on bacon and hamburgers, what's so bad about a cocktail?

Not much at all, according to the liquor industry. In an effort to cash in on the popularity of trendy low-carb diets like Atkins, makers of vodka, whiskey, and other hard liquors are starting to pitch their products as low-carb and diet-friendly, following the success of a low-carbohydrate campaign this year by Michelob Ultra beer.

In fact, looks can be deceiving and there can be some surprisingly low-carb and low-calorie drinks behind the bar. Guinness, for instance, with its thick consistency and chocolate-cake color, is likely to be one of the first beers carb-conscious drinkers would cut out. In fact, it has only 10 grams of carbs and 125 calories per 12 ounces - fewer carbs than Budweiser, Coors and Corona. (The reason is, Guinness contains less alcohol.) Other products that look more virtuous, such as the clear-colored malt beverage Smirnoff Ice, are fat-laden. A 12 oz. serving of the trendy brew has 32 grams of carbs and 228 calories, or about the same as a baked apple pie from McDonald's. Same for drinkers of non-alcoholic beers, which can carry more than 14 grams of carbs per 12 ounces.

Tuesday, consumer advocacy groups launched a campaign to urge liquor companies to put more nutritional information on their packaging, saying current labeling rules are haphazard and hard to decipher. Two major groups, the Center for Science in the Public Interest and the National Consumers League, petitioned the federal government to require uniform labeling for liquor much like what's already required on food-product packaging.

The proposed labels would include information on alcohol content, serving sizes, calories and ingredients. Currently, the government has widely varying rules for different products - low-carb and light beer must list calorie content, for instance, but wine, spirits and regular beers don't have to.

"People are unaware of the calories and ingredients, and don't know how to compare between types of beverages," said George Hacker of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Brewers and distillers including Anheuser-Busch and Diageo said they are still evaluating the proposal.

The low-carb, high-protein dieting trend should be terrific news for liquor makers: Rum, vodka, gin, whisky and tequila contain no carbs or fat at all, and never have. Still, 63 percent of consumers incorrectly believe wine and beer are lower in carbs than spirits, according to a study by Ipsos Public Affairs.

All of this has triggered a wave of new marketing campaigns. Diageo, which makes Captain Morgan Original Spiced rum and Johnnie Walker, is now urging bartenders to promote holiday-themed drinks such as a Johnnie Walker Red Label and Ginger, a mix of scotch and diet ginger ale that clocks in at 96 calories, about the same as three rice cakes. Allied Domecq, which makes Kahlua, is also targeting barkeepers and encouraging them to, for example, offer "skinny" White Russians made with skim milk instead of regular milk. It's trying to stir up buzz by sponsoring parties at the offices of Hollywood producers and publicists, as well as some hip hair salons. The drink has roughly half the calories (229) two-thirds the carbs (18) of a normal White Russian.

Phillips Distilling recently launched a low-carb campaign for its UV vodka and is telling distributors to cross-market it with products like Crystal Light sugar-free lemonade. And Bacardi plans to dust off some of its old advertising from dieting crazes of yore. An 1984 print ad, for example, asks which has more calories: five ounces of white wine, or a five-ounce Bacardi and diet Coke. (Answer: The rum drink, 66 calories, wine, 121.)

Still, drinking on a diet is harder than it looks. A pint of regular beer can have up to 150 calories and 13 grams of carbs. The Atkins diet bans all alcohol, at least during early days, as does the South Beach Diet, which stresses eating the right carbs and the right fats. For dieters who choose to drink, Weight Watchers recommends drinking moderately, which is defined as one drink per day for women and two drinks for men.

Liquors become diet busters because they're often served with sweet juices and sugar. A simple pina colada can rack up 27 grams of carbs and 236 calories per a typical 9 oz. serving, of which only 2 oz. is usually alcohol. Plus, drinking can weaken inhibitions, making people likely to indulge in wild behavior such as eating pasta.

Avoiding high-calorie mixers can make a big difference. Subbing Diet Coke in a rum and Coke cuts the calories to 66 from 209 and the carbs to nearly zero from 21 grams. Club soda instead of regular soda will save someone who drinks three to four a week, thousands of calories a month.

Jayde Feinstein, a 22-year-old office manager in Los Angeles, dilutes the cranberry juice in her cranberry and vodka with a little water to limit her sugar and carbs. She also dilutes red wine with sparkling water to make sparkling wine. "It's a brilliant way to minimize the carbs, but still get the same flavor you desire."

Simple moderation is the best approach, says Stacey Snelling, a professor and registered dietitian for American University in Washington, D.C. When students ask if they can freely drink low-carb beer without getting a beer belly, she warns that switching to a low-carb beer from most light beers saves just 10 calories. "There are still alcohol calories in low-carb beer, and alcohol calories are stored as fat," she says.

It's tough to make an argument that a bar is a good place to maintain a diet. Consider the final pitfall: Mindlessly grazing the bar snacks. Three handfuls of mixed nuts can silently harbor a whopping 500 calories, or fully a quarter of the Food and Drug Administration's guidelines for average daily requirement.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 12:42

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hooray - said the low carbing alcoholic! HA HA!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ditto!

A few inaccuracies, though:

Quote:
Guinness (...) has only 10 grams of carbs and 125 calories per 12 ounces (...) (The reason is, Guinness contains less alcohol.)

Er... that's part of the reason that the calories are lower, but alcohol isn't a carbohydrate.

Quote:
Other products that look more virtuous, such as the clear-colored malt beverage Smirnoff Ice, are fat-laden.

Does the fat come from the barley or the lemons?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Something else they fail to mention is that the body will burn alcohol for energy in preference to all other energy sources (including carbs), so overindulging on liquor isn't likely to be doing your weight loss efforts any good, empty calories issue aside, even if the carb count is zero.
Obviously a cocktail here and there isn't going to make or break you, but it's something to keep in mind, especially if you've been indulging a little too often and notice a discernable slowing of weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - Induction!
Stats: 170/157/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Plus, drinking can weaken inhibitions, making people likely to indulge in wild behavior such as eating pasta.

I love that! "Wild behavior".

What party animals us low-carbers are!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 21:21
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
wild behavior such as eating pasta.

Oh, I know, that part is worth reading the whole thing! It just made my day....

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 03:13

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Interesting - back in the 50s or 60s there was a book called "the drinking man's diet" as I recall, it recommended cutting carbs, to minimize weight impact of alcohol. Couple of days ago in my home town paper, there was an article about a local counselor who is having success by putting alcoholics on a lowcarb diet. Her reasoning is that alcohol cravings are like sugar cravings, and that hard drinkers are also frequently hypoglycemic. She admits she has no studies to back this up, only empirical success stories. But she points to Atkins, says he got no respect either at first. It kind of makes sense to me, lots of us find that alcohol sabotages our lowcarb efforts, so why wouldn't high carbs sabotage efforts to curb drinking? She thinks the two are diff sides of the same card, she may be right. Bill
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 04:54
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
drinking moderately, which is defined as one drink per day for women and two drinks for men.

Most of Europe would get a diagnosis as "immoderate" if this guideline were in any way realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman
there was an article about a local counselor who is having success by putting alcoholics on a lowcarb diet. Her reasoning is that alcohol cravings are like sugar cravings, and that hard drinkers are also frequently hypoglycemic. She admits she has no studies to back this up, only empirical success stories. But she points to Atkins, says he got no respect either at first. It kind of makes sense to me, lots of us find that alcohol sabotages our lowcarb efforts, so why wouldn't high carbs sabotage efforts to curb drinking? She thinks the two are diff sides of the same card, she may be right.

I've been working with a national alcohol-control organization for 5 years, and this is one correlation which comes up time and time again. There is even an unofficial term, "alcoholic hypoglycemia," which gets thrown around to describe the phenomenon. People in our program frequently talk about the "witching hour" around 5 PM, when blood sugar goes through the floor and the desire to drink is most insistent. A lot of people find that controlling their blood sugar is the key to a successful moderation program, and until their blood sugar is under control--through diet, exercise or whatever--their good intentions will be frustrated.

Emily

Last edited by tholian8 : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 05:01.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Alaskman: I'm really surprised there isn't more "hard evidence" of the hypoglycemia/alcohol connection. I might be wrong, but I remember reading on a diabetes risk factor list that a family history of alcoholism was a risk factor. Or was it that a family history of diabetes was a risk factor for alcoholism?

Anyway, the connection would make sense to me. Alcohol definitely messes up one's blood sugar. I can easily see how the two apparently distinct health issues start becoming enmeshed. Note that both can affect mood. Note that AA meetings are allegedly often big donut fests.

Susan Powter - remember her? - turned out to be a hard-core alcoholic all those years she was screaming about FAT FREE everything. Her next book about alcoholism recovery and diet was, guess what? (fairly) low carb.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 08:53.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:02

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

That's a riot about Susan Powter! I didn't know that.
In the sixties there were a few books about the diet/alcohol connection, Dana Carpender talks about them in her book. It makes a lot of sense.
I'm convinced a lot of the eating/drugging/drinking people do are attempts at self-medicating. The tons of refined carbs in people's diets could be a big factor.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 22:31
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Diet Coke and Tequila

I had a bartender make me one of those at a Christmas party (she looked at me very strangely), but it was VERY good.

For those of us who like sweet and tangy alcoholic drinks, I give it two thumbs up.

When there are no good sugar-free mixers out there, diet Coke is a good standby with most hard liquor (I know, I know aspartame... but it's better than sugar).
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 07:57

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, okaaay...it's does sound weird, though.
At home I have made gimlets with vodka (Svedborg is great!) lime juice and a dash of splenda. Shake it up to make it frothy, and it's great.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:52
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here's the text from the Low Carb Drink Menu that I designed for the Elm Street Bar in Dallas. The Syrups are all from DavinciGourmet.com. (I found a local supplier that sells me the syrups for about $6 US/750 ml.)

COCKTAILS (Under ½ gm net carbs)

LC Amaretto Sour
Vodka, Amaretto SF Syrup, Lemon-Lime Juice

LC Cinnamon Schnapps
Vodka, Cinnamon SF Syrup

LC Royal Watermelon
Crown Royal, Vodka, Watermelon SF Syrup, Lime Juice

LC Grape Shot
Vodka, Grape SF Syrup, Lime Juice

LC Cherry Limeade
Vodka, Lime Juice, Cherry SF Syrup, Soda

LC Hawaiian Sunset
Vodka, Pineapple SF Syrup, Lime Juice, Dash Cherry

LC Fuzzy Navel
Vodka, Peach SF Syrup, Orange SF Syrup

LC Margarita
Tequila, Lime Juice, Orange SF Syrup

LC Peach Margarita
Tequila, Lime Juice, Peach SF Syrup

LC Piña Rita
Tequila, Lime Juice, Pineapple SF Syrup

LC Piña Colada
Rum, Pineapple SF Syrup, Coconut SF Syrup, Cream

LC Kahlua & Cream
Vodka, Kahulí Caffé™ SF Syrup, Cream

LC Hazelnut Cream
Vodka, Hazelnut SF Syrup, Cream

LC B-52
Vodka, B-52 SF Syrup (Kahlua, Bailey’s, Grand Marnier), Cream

SF JELLO SHOTS
Vodka, SF JELLO (various flavors)

SF Red Bull Cocktail
Vodka, SF Red Bull. 1.5 gm net carbs

BEER

Michelob Ultra (2.6 gm net carbs)

Rock Green Light (2.6 gm net carbs)

Miller Lite (3.2 gm net carbs)

Coors Light (4.4 gm net carbs)

Amstel Light (5.0 gm net carbs)

Bud Lite (6.6 gm net carbs)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 15:13
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thank you, gotbeer! I'm going to print that drink list out right now.

Generally I'm quite happy with gin & diet tonic, but this opens up a world of possibilities.

Last edited by RosaAlta : Fri, Dec-19-03 at 15:16.