Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%
Default Need stall advice

I've been stalled *forever*. Depending on how you're counting, 16 months (since I first hit 149) or 2.5 months (since I "got serious" and started over from induction). In that time I have:
- cut out all non-water drinks except the occasional green tea with cream
- drunk enough water to float the titanic
- cut out all sweeteners of any kind
- cut out all processed food of any kind
- added supplements
- added exercise (except I just broke my ankle, so I'm doing sitting exercises for a few weeks)
- upped my carbs
- lowered my carbs
- ate only eggs for two days
- started refeeding

None of it has moved my weight or inches one bit.

I was wondering if someone could look at my fitday stats and tell me if I'm kidding myself in some way?
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...wner=epmatthews

- the cakeroll on 12/13 was my 3-year old's birthday party
- the chinese food is from a place that uses no msg and no cornstarch if I ask

Thanks so much in advance - I know I would never have even held onto this stall if it wasn't for you guys.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:27
Registered Member

forgot to mention, I also cut out all dairy and tea for a week as well.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi... well, i went back a few days on your fit day and you seem to have "just a bite" syndrome... a bite of real ice cream here... a bite of frosting there... a bite of orange... pretzals/pizza... and while pretzals and pizza might not be a common thing for you (I only went back 3 days), the just a bite thing is probably a horrible idea in your case. Even though a little frosting doesn't seem to have a lot of carbs/calories, remember that you are putting REAL SUGAR into your body. When you add even just bites of white flour/sugar/etc here and there, your body will probably stall on them. That's my guess anyway...

If you have the opportunity for just a bite here or there, don't. If the scale/inches haven't budged at all, this might be one of the culprits...?

ALSO -- you have days where you've only had 1000 calories?! Not only are you probably not eating enough calories, you're getting peaks from the occasional bite of sugary oatmeal or ice cream... you're better off just eating a few snacks of string cheese or bacon or something throughout the day, cutting out all those bites, and getting your calorie intake up a few hundred calories...

Last edited by filmlass23 : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 12:35.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:53
Registered Member

oops - another thing I forgot to mention was that day before yesterday (12/16) was a refeed day, so you'll see quite a few "illegal substances" there, like pizza, pretzels and ice cream (although "Just a bite" because they're higher in fat than good for a refeed)

But as a rule, I don't pay attention to my calories at all, other than to note that they hover around 1400 typically.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 276/253/215 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree - those bites of this or that will KILL your induction (and usually phase 2 also) very quickly and you will be going through it all for nothing.

I have had to learn the hard way that you are either on the Atkins diet or you are not

Your diet: Sorry, but 10 Ritz crackers is just not on the Atkins diet! Maybe after you have lost all your weight and are on on going weight loss, and you find that Ritz crackers don't cause you to release a bunch of insulin...

Remember what induction is:

(And it can take a week to see if it is really working for you - so you have to go by the book)

NO sugar of any kind

(including the corn syrup that is in just about all commercial baked goods these days)

NO flour of any kind

NO vegetables that are not leafy green

NO fruits or juices, probably best to avoid "diet drinks"

Thats why its called "strict induction". Your body is obviously being stubborn, so you need to get back on strict induction. For you "bites" are cheating, and especuially while on induction.

Basically you want to GIVE UP all processed sugars and processed flours FOREVER as your lifestyle - not get to a point where you can "cheat" and get away with the effects. If you eat a higher carb meal on a special occaision it should be maybe once a month. Keep telling yourself that there are plenty of foods to eat that are satisfying and healthy, and get into the habit of eating them!

Persevere! You can do it.

Last edited by jqp : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 13:11.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Thank you for taking the time to look at my stats.

The ritz crackers and all the other illegal food was on the refeed day, 12/16. Please ignore that day.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:25

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

But the bites are almost every day! That's what jqp and I are trying to point out... they seem harmless but are not.

I'm not really sure what these refeed days are... or how often they're happening...

And don't necessarily look at bites of ice cream and sugary oatmeal and crackers as something to rid from your life FOREVER... that's such a long time, jqp... I just think you might want to avoid such things until you get to your goal weight... if you're maintaining your weight right now with those occasional bites, that's cool... but you're not ready to maintain yet, right?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:44

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Go back to 20 carbs a day for awhile. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Stats: 276/253/215 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yeah I am not up to date on the concept of "refeeding" , but it definitely can't happen in an induction.

I am not saying I will never eat sugary foods or flour, but if it caused me to gain the weight, and if it is too concentrated a form of carbs for healthy eating, it should not be a part of my lifestyle diet.

Once a month is not my lifestyle diet
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:53
Registered Member

ok, I think I've incredibly muddled this thread, but thank you for your advice, I'll certainly take another look at cleaning up my act. Wish me luck!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

matty:

Just a few comments.
I, too, noticed quite a bit of "0.05 cups General Tso Chicken" or "1 tsp Peanut Butter" or "5 grapes".

This WoE isn't about eating small bites of things to feel satisfied -- it's about having food that is good for you, and having as much as you need to have to feel satisfied.

Your menu appeared so all over the map as to make me think that your body doesn't know which way is up anymore.

Go back to a strict induction, eating NOTHING that is not on the acceptable foods list, and I bet you'll go back to losing weight.

H
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 14:08
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

I know this is not a calorie counting WOE, but Atkins recommend 10-12 times your current body weight (in lbs) in calories pr day. You are nowhere near that. (except on refeed days when you have all the wrong kinds of calories an carbs !)

Atkins also recommend that your daily calorie intake have the following breakdown: 70-75 % should come from fat, 25-30 % from protein and 5 % from carbs.

I received a looooong e-mail from Atkins support durng my own stall. If you PM me your e-mail adress I'll forward it to you. (It's far to long to post here !)

I feel for you, I know how it is to be stalling. I admire you for managing to hang in there !

GOOD LUCK TO YOU !