Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:11
Nequaquam Vacuum!

Plan: The Zone, Fat Flush
Stats: 178.5/147.5/147.7 Female 64 inches
BF:more than enough
Progress: 101%
Talking KIS Day 8

Well! Day 8 on KIS, and I'm down to 163 (that's 4.5 pounds lost in 8 days!). Also, we had Demi's meatballs and fried cabbage last night for dinner, it was VERY yummy! I think I'm going to fry more cabbage tonight, with my garlic stuffed chicken (I put about 20 cloves under the breast skin and roast it)
I also found mayo at Trader Joe's that has absolutely no sweetener of any kind in it, and no preservatives. The ingredients are very straight forward:
Expeller Pressed Canola oil
whole Eggs
Apple Cider Vinegar
Egg yolks
Water, Salt, Spices,
lemon juice concentrate...

Since I'm losing so nicely with just the olive oil right now, I think I'll stick with it for a while longer (a few weeks at least) and then try to sneak the mayo back in, although the chicken fat that Doreen suggested sounds v. good, and so that might carry me along until the end of the month.
I drink decaf green tea (also from Trader Joe's) for something warm in the morning, and it doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects, but I think caffeine at this point, would be a bad idea.
Missed Breakfast
Went out for lunch but had: Grilled Salmon and grilled veggies on sticks (mush, zucs red bell, carrots (just a few) and red onion)
Dinner: Roasted garlic clove chicken, fried cabbage (I'm hooked, Demi!) I just fry it in olive oil (what else?) (Hmmm, maybe I'll get some of the fat out of the chicken...) with red pepper flakes, so good.

Count me in on the "list of people too embarassed to change stats during weight gain".

jasmine

Last edited by Jbbrennan : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 20:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I made my fried turnips like hash browns for dinner tonite, I am so full, I'm not even looking for anything to munch on, wow, that was good and filling. try it folks. JUst put the turnip in the food processor with onion, then fry in olive oil til crispy, like hash browns. Oh-h-h-h heaven. chris
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 22:51

Plan: Atkins, PP, locarb in general
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey all this fat flush is doing wonders-- after two days of no cheat at all I weighed in at the doctors office at 167!!!! Morning of day one I was 175! That's 8 lbs of fluid!! Can that be possible. I weighed in 3 times- both before and after in disbelief! I couldn't believe I had gained that much over the holidays, nor could I believe the Dr. scale. I have a digital one & regular one at home. Oh well I'm not complaining!! A1C is coming down too from 7.2 to 6.9. It is getting there. Maybe after this flush I'll be under control!!! yeah yeah!!! Mary
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 07:58

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

Nawchem - I'll look into the tea. Usually the tea doesn't bother me.

I'm actually allergic to the pollen and the grass itself. A few years ago, if I sat in grass, I would come away with welts where the grass blades hit my skin. THAT'S how allergic I was. I've been taking allergy shots for 4 yrs now, so I'm not as bad as I used to be. I don't want to experiment with the grass again, though! LOL! It made me so itchy, red and swelled up from where I touched the grass. I'm allergic to most things green, pollen, dust, mites, mold, oh gosh everything - BADLY. I'm NOT allergic to three trees - all pine-cedar type trees - so Xmas is okay for me. :-) I've had allergies all my life, but it took 34 yrs to get to an allergist. You have to look at the good side though, they'll be no grass stains on MY pants! Good luck on your allergy testing, Nawchem. Let us know how it turns out. Shots have been a godsend for me. I would be so sick all the time and I can't tell you how many times I've been on antibiotics for infections all my life. At least 4 times a year. Yeah, I know, candida I'm sure was growing rampid in my system. After I started shots, no more infections. I went through some Caprylic Acid for candida and it helped tremendously.

I think I'm going to try the BHB Plus and see if that helps. Also check out the tea you suggested. Thanks!

have a great day!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings Flushers and Kissers

3 days of Fat Flush down, and 25 more to go I'm definitely seeing and feeling the water-bloat disappear -- but not stepping on the scales until Saturday. Yeah, I spiked up too over the prior week, and didn't change my stats. If I changed my stats with every spike up then down, I'd be changing the number daily. Up down up down .. my weight chart at Fitday looks like an ECG trace!

For now I'm just thrilled that my pants are getting comfortable again, and my hands are less puffy.

Onward!! Hope everyone has a wonderful day

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi everyone!

>>"(looks like a lot of us just didn't update that profile)"

Guilty!

>>"And I wasn't tempted a bit! It's currently in the freezer, because I may treat it to myself on my birthday."

WTG, Roz! Your DO needs a spanking!

>>"Im back on induction and experimenting with coconut oil...and dropping weight ..so whatever gets us to goal right? "

Hi Glim. Definitely. It's strange, but mixing up the fats can really make a difference. A while back, I "discovered" avocados and started having ground flax seeds daily. I cut back on meat just because I was too lazy to cook, not because I was making an effort to do so. I got one heck of a woosh! Those fats were the only thing that changed.

Mischa - hope you have a better day today. IMHO, it's more important to listen to your body than to stick to the FFP 1200ish calories, especially for a taller, muscular gal like you. I'm sure you didn't pollute your liver too much.

"That's 8 lbs of fluid!! Can that be possible"

Mary - great job!!! I'd say yes. I've lost 7 lbs of fluid (or whatever) since Sunday.

--
So is anyone getting bored or frustrated yet? I am, a bit, but I keep telling myself, "you can have it in (x) days. It'll still be there." I realized that I have a bit of an emotional attachment to the coffee, even decaf. The weather here is *bitterly* cold, and "a nice pot of decaf when I get home" has been the "carrot" I dangle to get myself out there when I need to run my errands. Dandelion tea or hot lemon water ain't the same.

Well, I hope everyone has a great day.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:46
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
.... Dandelion tea or hot lemon water ain't the same. ....
Try heating a mug of cranwater with a cinnamon stick and a strip or two of lemon or orange zest. Add a few dots of stevia if desired. It's a nice change

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/180/175 Female 5'11"
BF:

Quote:
looks like a lot of us just didn't update that profile

I did when I weighed Monday but I can tell you I've probably been at 179 since before Christmas

Day 3 and got on the scale. Looks like a couple pounds down but I'm not officially claming anything until Sunday, after 1 week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is definitely harder than I thought it would be. I came back to my office after a meeting hungry for a snack and all I have here is Wasa's and cheese. I do have a doz. raw eggs in the fridge but already had 3 fried for breakfast. Can you "OD" on eggs??? Heading home for lunch in a few so I'll fill up on some water.

Looks like we are all having our ups and downs. We've just got to hang in there. I see the losses are showing and our efforts will not be in vain.
Humpday Hugs going out to everyone!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:58
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I'm down 4.5 lbs since Friday and that's with the slice of bacon I had with my breakfast yesterday!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:19

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs down turnips

hey chris, i would have thought no way to turnips.... but they weren't half bad. a little stronger tasting, but it went great with my steak and mushrooms.
i will have them again...maybe even tomorrow. btw...what is that weird wax that is on it? i peeled it all off, but they don't grow that way do they?

a day and half and i am doing a lot better than i thought. even though i am dragging around here, i keep telling myself that in a few days i will see results and after being stalled for 8 months... it will all be worth it.

it's still so dang cold. i want to be out skiing, but they have the ski hill closed. hopefully, it will warm up by the weekend so for now i am off to pop in by aeroboxing tape.
happy flushing and kissing
~catherine

Last edited by anais57 : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 12:21.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 22:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

." btw...what is that weird wax that is on it? i peeled it all off, but they don't grow that way do they?"

No Catherine, they don't, I don't know why they put that wax on them, but you've got to get it off, along with the peel, before frying them, The directions I posted can also be done with DAIKON (white radishes) I remember we had a thread about the mock hash browns some time ago. I never tried it with the daikon. thogh.

Well, I'm doing OK, today, however, a freind sent over some ATkins icecream, which I did taste,...shehad bought it and didn't like it, so she thought I might like it, now I have to hide it in my freezer so I won't be tempted. I cooked up a batch of chicken thighs tonite, so I'lll have something to snack on. but I'm doing OK, and I "appear to have dropped 5 lbs so I'm almost down to my posted weight.lol...lol. Hope you all have a good one. chris
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anais57
.. turnips.... ... btw...what is that weird wax that is on it? i peeled it all off, but they don't grow that way do they?

hi Catherine,

"Turnips" are not waxed .. they're beet-sized, white and purple with white flesh, and sometimes still have the green tops attached, which are delicious BTW. "Rutabaga", also called Swede, is larger with yellow and rusty-purple coloured skin, and yellow flesh and a slightly sweeter flavour than turnips. They're coated with wax for storage. The wax keeps out air and keeps moisture in, so these sturdy roots will store in a cool dry spot for months. Rutabaga also has more carbs, but not a lot .. ½ c. cubed raw white turnip has 4.1g carbs/ 1.2g fiber. Rutabaga has 5.7g carbs/ 1.8g fiber for ½ c. raw cubes.

Growing up, we always called rutabaga "turnip" and even now when mother announces "turnips for dinner" she means rutabaga.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:16

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%

nope...doreen these were turnips the rutabagas were right next to them.

i think i will go to the co-op next time to get my turnips and avoid the whole waxy mess
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:23
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anais57
nope...doreen these were turnips the rutabagas were right next to them.

Yikes!!

Why on earth would they wax turnips? They're small! And more expensive too .. who wants to pay extra per lb for all that waste.

Good idea on the co-op

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:40

Plan: Atkins, PP, locarb in general
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%

Kristine - Thanks! I feel great!

Try having 1 tbls Flax seed meal (Ground flax seed)_ with 2 Tbls flax oil in large bottle (12 oz) of cranwater and 2 tbls whey protien powder. Shake this well. You can also whiz some fresh fruit like bluberries, strawberries to make it more filling and get in the fruit. I find that hard to do - I'm not a fruit lover especially in the winter. Flax should be mixed with protien to get the best utilization in your body. (Oil/Protien Diet, Dr. Budwig)(It could also be Protien/oil diet, I forget the sequence) Also recomends coconut oil for wt loss. There is a whole coconut oil diet out there. I just can't remember where I found it. We are using it in everything as all my family has low thyroids and it is supposed to help correct that. Morning weight 165! oops off to the bathroom ....again Mary

Last edited by Laczkoskie : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 12:44.