Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:09

Plan: healthy eating/water/walk
Stats: 163/155/120 Female 5'4 and 1/2
BF:?/28%/20%
Progress: 19%
Unhappy PLEASE!!!! No TOM, am I pregnant?

Hi...this is pretty personal but I need to know...my period is pretty late and I've taken 2 pregnancy test, 1 week apart, and both came out negative, clear as day negative.

I told my mom and she told me that when she was pregnant for me (I have 2 older brothers) the pregnancy tests AND the blood tests both came out negative until she was 5 months pregnant for me...the doctors were surprised as well...

I have been pregnant once before but due to the circumstances of my life and those of conception I did not keep it. The point of this statement was that my body feels the same now as it did then, it's like "feeling pregnant" if anyone can relate...I actually felt this way before I was even late for my period, I know this because I was checking my journal and was worried about being late about 1 and 1/2 weeks in advance of my TOM.

Things are different now and I would really like to know...I went to a dinner party last weekend and drank about 3 glasses of red wine a 1/2 glass of beer (I know, I know...bad LCer)...If I were pregnant would this greatly affect having a baby? I hear horror stories of retardation and disformation...could I have caused such things in one night?

I don't know what to do and was wondering if someone could suggest a way for me to find out. I do not have a family doctor. But I live in Quebec and have health care so...

concerned...
-mildwild

Last edited by mildwild : Sun, Dec-14-03 at 22:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:27

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Mildwild,
I , too, am late. Last TOM was 10/30/03. I normally run an average of 35 days. That would make me now about 10-11 days late. I have taken 4 test, all negative. The lastest Ive been in the last couple years is a week. I used two different brand tests. So I assume Im not, because I dont think two brands would lie, but then again Im not a doctor. As far as your question regarding drinking, Ive been told that the body has a way of taking care of things(good way) that early in pregnancy. I dont think you should worry about that. As soon as you find out for sure you should definitely stop. Let us know what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:36

so if it's been that long for you how do you know if you're pregnant or not? Are you going to go for blood tests? Should I?

-mildwild
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:40

BF:

Until I have my TOM , I dont know. The home tests are very, very accurate. Try a different brand for yourself. I tried the new digital Clearblue, and 1st response.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

My period is always 28 days, since I've started lowcarbing its been off. The first month it was an entire week late, then 4 days late the next two months. When my period was late I felt pregnant also tired, bloated, achy breasts. I think the pregnancy tests are pretty accurate these days (maybe they weren't in your moms day). Don't get too freaked out. Two weeks is late enough to see a doctor about it. Also I have seen a lot of threads here that others have been late as well. Take care of yourself and try not to worry. I know easier said than done.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 21:14

I hope you're right nawchem...I'm going to go to a clinic this week sometime...and check it out....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think you should not worry. Insulin is a Master Hormone in the body and it affects ALL the other hormone levels.

When we start LCing, we drastically lower the insulin level in the body and switch to the other Master Hormone, glucagon, to process food for fuel AND take fat out of storage.

It is ENTIRELY USUAL that a woman's cycles are out of whack for at least the first month of LCing.

One could, for example,:
-skip a period
-have a heavier or lighter period
-have an early period
-have an extra long period

Wait until the second period should have started and see how things go. IF you are staying totally on the LC plan you have chosen, then things are VERY likely to go back to normal.

If, after 3 months of LCing, things are not normal, OF COURSE consult your doctor.

As you are on LC, you will not be drinking alcohol and you will be taking supplements of vitamins, so you won't be doing anything bad if you should happen to actually be pregnant.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Dec-14-03 at 21:22.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 22:21

I just calculated it out with a good friend of mine and we came to the conclusion that I approx. 2 weeks late...

The other thing I was wondering was if this was due to the amount of weight I'd lost. I lost about 20lbs in 1 and 1/2 months...would that do it??

I didn't think LCing would be the cause because I was not really terrible about sugar and starch before LCing so it wasn't a complete shock to my body...

I went off the pill about 3 months ago as well...so I know it's not that, my body is back to normal...

I'm guessing that it's what everone says and I'm just late, so I'll wait and see...if I don't get it by mid Jan. then I have problems...

-mildwild
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 22:29

BF:

In my case, Ive been low carbing for just over a year. It never really threw my TOM off because Ive always been irregular and my norm is 35 days. Only you know your body, and if you feel like you need to find out, take a test. Personally I wouldnt wait/couldnt wait 3mths to find out if I was pregnant, or did I misunderstand you tofi?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 06:01

well...I've decided that either way it doesn't matter...If I'm not, life goes on...If I am, then I'm keeping it anyway...

It's just something you would sorta like to know if it's going on in your body...it's not like having a cold...I was doing some research and it turns out I wouldn't know until just after 6 weeks anyway (that's where the U/S would show).

thanks for the info., it's nice to know I'm normal if I'm not pregnant.

-mildwild
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 07:19

I was checking out this thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=15285

and it seems that it's more normal for girls to get it early than late...the other thing is I'm only 21...so it's not my system, I'm still fairly young...

well...I still think it's weird since like I said, this WOE is not too different from what I was doing before. I did this WOE in May-June for about a month, then stopped until October 25th and started again...nothing has changed during the whole time...

oh geez....I hope I get it and I hope I don't...anyway...
-mildwild
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I still hope you get into see the Dr. There are other symtoms of pregnancy and they will be able to put your mind at ease one way or the other. Also you don't want to be on a weight loss diet and you need extra vitamins if you are expecting. Hope everything works out the way you wish, and take care of yourself.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 06:10

I don't have a doctor. All the doctors in my area are not taking patients, I've been trying for a year (well, there was one, but he was a mean old man and his office was dirty, so I didn't want to go back)...The best I can hope for is that a pregnancy clinic will see me for a test, I was going to make that call later today.

yup...still no TOM...

-mildwild
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 17:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The other thing I was wondering was if this was due to the amount of weight I'd lost. I lost about 20lbs in 1 and 1/2 months...would that do it??

Yup. One word for you: hormones. Hormones are stored by your body in your body fat. When you suddenly shed a lot of that body fat, the hormones are also released from storage and can throw things off, especially for women, until weight loss slows down a bit.
A visit to the clinic is still not a bad idea to rule out any problems or pregnancy, especially if you have been sexually active without birth control. Even if the pregnancy test is negative, a quick pelvic exam can often confirm if you are pregnant or not due to changes in the appearance of your cervix when you are pregnant.
Hope all turns out well!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:23

I can tell you though...something is definitely going on down there...I can feel it...it's different..

I go to a pregnancy clinic tomorrow for another urine test, if it's positive they let me see the doctor for more check up stuff...if not, I have to find my own doctor which I don't have so I have to go to the hospital to find out what's wrong...

something is different, i feel it...anyway, I hope I'm pregnant, i don't wanna know what's going on otherwise... :{

-mildwild