Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:32
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Good Morning!

I'm pleased to report that I've got partial access to the internet again, so here I am, mid-week!

I've successfully dealt with my foot problems. I'm doing a longer warm up, and have added the alphabet exercises that Kelly suggested. Also, until I get sneakers, I've taken to wearing 3 pair of socks and a pair of crocheted slippers. Looks like I have some unfortunate deformity, but I haven't felt bruised or swollen since doing this, so it's working.

I've been fitting a lot of activity into my life lately, mainly using exercise as a stress reliever. I'll do my official 50 minute cardio workout, then I'll just start the music over again and walk/march with my giant feet in a big figure-eight through the living and dining room. The cats think I'm crazy, girlfriend already knew this, so no biggie.

What is a biggie is being able to be on my feet for 1 hour and 40 minutes. In June I was hard pressed to do my 10 minute walk. I credit these Challenges, because I doubt I'd be urging myself to keep taking that next step all by my lonesome. Especially when things get hard. So thanks again for joining me on this journey!!

Atkins4myW ~ Zoned out three hours on the treadmill??? My goodness, that’s some serious exercise-induced alpha-waves! It strikes me that you are really into a deception free lifestyle. You’re following your LC plan by the book and enjoy the treadmill because you can’t cheat. I admire that a lot. The older I get, the more I feel it's important to choose rules ... and then follow them. Thanks for the information on flax meal, btw. This is my recipe for fiber spice muffins. I’m going to replace the DaVinci’s with chicken stock, sweet spices for savory, and add some veggies. I’ll let you know how it works for me!

Kelly ~ I love those alphabet exercises! Sometimes I do cursive, sometimes caps, but it’s all good. I only do a few minutes worth as a warm up, but I think it will help my feet and ankles. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bjuba ~ Congratulations on that great resting heart rate number! How long did it take to go from 73 to 64? And Woo Hoo! Another 2” gone!

Jessie ~ What did you think of Walk Away the Pounds? Many people love it (I’m one of them), but some folks don’t. Hope you enjoyed it!

Teresa ~ Have you ever thought of getting a pedometer? You could see how those miles pile up when you're traipsing around your campus! Hope your holiday shopping was enjoyable.

Liz ~ I've been hearing about the early snow in your part of the country and thinking about your decision to buy a treadmill. I think it's wise to make a way to exercise indoors - in a way you don't hate. What about some adding some sort of exercise tape / dvd, too? You could break up your at home winter workouts a bit that way.

Marie ~ Congratulations on making those goals and *losing* weight over Thanksgiving!

Crysania ~ Glad to hear you’ve cleared an area of boxes! Hope you are enjoying your office / exercise / entertainment room!

Dianne ~ Welcome! I’m glad you joined the Challenge. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation just packed with activity! I thought about your Extra Credit answer ... At different times in my life, I would have answered the exact same way. Some people are born jocks, but I sure wasn’t. However, I think there is an enjoyment that comes from being proficient in an activity - just like you were saying about your legs hurting at first in Las Vegas; after a few days you felt much better and could keep going for longer. That feeling is addictive as you feel it growing. Hopefully physical activity will be something you really like doing eventually!

GreenEyezz ~ Congratulations on ‘doing a lot more than you usually do’! And best of luck for a great job.

Mary ~ My goodness, I’m sorry to hear about your abduction. Talking about the enemy within! Are you willing to share what that ‘OMG’ experience feels like after lifting to failure? I imagine it’s like the ‘good burn’, but something tells me it’s more intense. (Okay, now I’m imagining you doing one of those crazy Herbal Essence organic shampoo commercials while lifting weights.)

DusterCat ~ I’m so sorry to hear things have been extra stressful for you lately. The fact that you recognize those stressors, however, and how they can derail you, is a positive thing, IMHO. Puts you in that ‘action’ (choice) mode instead of ‘re-action’ (habit). Okay, that was a little psycho-babbly, but do you know what I mean? (PS - I’m sending my best wishes that your toe really heals during these cold months so you’ll be out there walking by the river this springtime!)
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:38

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Ah, yes, the challenge...

Here I am recovering from the flu or some other related illness. I worked out a few times last week (nothing significant), but then it struck. The latest round of ills are traveling through my office (gotta love those that come in to share the stuff)-- I got nailed on Weds. That nastiness basically did me in for the rest of the week. I'm now happy to report that I'm recovering and will be back at Curves tomorrow.

Glad to see everyone else is doing so well!

Happy exercising!
Nikki
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 10:29
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

AntiM - I started excersing Oct 25th - resting rate was much higher then but I never started recording until recently - did not know the significance of it. My goal is to be in the 40's --

Thank you for all the work you are doing moderating this group --
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 06:34

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi everyone
I'm very happy to report that I am done with my workouts for the week and made all my goals!! I doubled up on Monday since I am going out of town tomorrow and won't be able to workout. I will post new goals on Friday.

Monika - you really make me laugh imagining you with your "giant feet" LOL I am happy they are feeling better. You have made such awesone gains!!

Here is the brownie recipe I make. It originally had more oatmeal, and I subbed 1 c of it with 1 c of wheat protein isolate to make the carb count lower. They aren't too bad and make a quick, portable meal for me.

Protein Brownies

8 egg whites
1 C low fat cottage cheese
1 C oats
1 C WPI
4 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C Splenda (I used the liquid, it makes a flatter brownie but no carbs)
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1/2 C water

Blend all together in blender or with hand mixer. Spead in 9 x 12 cake pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 min.
Cut into 10 bars.
Cals: 130
Fat: 2.3g
Carbs: 8.4g with 2g Fiber
Protein: 17g
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: SYNDROME X
Stats: 252/162/150 Female 65 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Monika-Boy have I missed my computer and all you guys!! We have had a major reality check in the past few weeks! We were forced to take mom out of the hospital because "there was nothing more they could do" and decided to bring her home to spend her last days with her family-or at least the ones who get along! This has required 24/7 care (with a little help from visiting nurses)and much conversation between my sister and I which has turned out to be OK. The problem is I lost most of my appetite and started skipping meals and snacks. At first I thought this is good, maybe a little boost to the weight loss-NO WAY, I haven't lost an ounce in 2 weeks and 3 days!! I'm trying to eat more often but it makes me feel guilty to eat when I'm not hungry. Anyway, I have learned a huge lesson with all of this. Even though loosing the weight is great, it still has to be about my health!
Goals-To continue my very early morning treadmill-weights and aerobics except when I must stay with mom-then Late night exercise is ok too-it helps me sleep. Water is no problem-1 gal. a day.
The exercise really helps me motivate through the day-I can't imagine how depressed I would be without it.My favorite exercise right now is Jane Fonda Light aerobics-I can take it with me and its only 20 minutes so I can get a quick charge wherever I am. As I watch everyone rush around with the holidays I feel like I am in slow motion with all the events. I am grateful I have all of you to come to with the ups and downs of my Life and WOE. And I'm grateful for the priveledge of sharing this last Christmas Season at my moms bedside. She is the strongest person I know and will be my forever role model.!
Thanks and God Bless!
Lynn
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:25
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Monica, I'm checking in with my results from week 2. I can walk more distance in a day if I do several shorter walks. Someday I would like to combine the two but for now I have to keep it the way it is. Overall, I am satisfied with my progress so far.

This week was stressful because I had 3 final exams to take. It’s Thursday evening and I’m tired, so I will be going to bed early tonight to get some rest.

WALKS

Friday: am walk 2.1 mi, weights, pm walk 1 mi

Saturday: am walk 2.1 mi, pm walk 1.35 mi

Sunday: am walk 2.1 mi, weights pm walk 1.35 mi

Monday: am walk 2.1 mi, pm walk 1.35 mi

Tuesday: weights pm walk 1.35 mi

Wednesday: am walk 2.1 mi, pm walk 1.35 mi

Thursday: am walk 2.1 mi

WEIGHT WORKOUT - 20 reps, light weights. I increased a few sets on the lat pull downs and rows.

DB preacher curls x6
DB side laterals x6
DB front laterals x6
DB rows x6
Lat pull downs x6
DB bench press x7
Tri push downs x6
DB tri ext x6

EXTRA CREDIT

My favorite exercise is walking. I enjoy the fresh air and open spaces. Walking is low impact so it's an activity that I can do comfortably. I also feel good while walking and it seems to work almost my entire body. It also energizes me for the rest of the day.

My goal for next week is to stay consistent and approach my exercise with a positive attitude and to be satisfied that I am doing what is right for me.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 01:01
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much

Okay, I'm checking in for week two saying--the aliens have landed and taken over my body! (Or my time, or my life, or my brain, or SOMETHING). All insanity broke loose at school, and there have been extra sectionals and rehearsals because of Christmas and our annual concert, and I've only made it to Curves ONCE this week. AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

However-- I plan to go tomorrow. I want to leave school by 4 pm and GO. And I'll go on Saturday. So that will be 3 days--just not the 3 I meant. Then on Sunday -- if I can squeeze it in between church and rehearsal and decorating the tree which we're going to get on Saturday (all 10-11' of tree) I'll try WATP for the first time. Yup, the tapes finally came.

You know it's been busy when there hasn't been time to do laundry (and we have a washer and dryer in the house.)

Jude
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 03:44
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Week Three

be confident
To succeed, you must know you can do it!

Goals
Make goals for what you will accomplish this week. Be realistic, make them attainable. Challenge yourself, but don’t set yourself up for failure by promising more than you know you can do.

~ Remember to prevent injury during your workout; warm up, cool down, stretch, use the right equipment, etc.

~ Are you going to maintain this level of activity? If not, can you take a small step towards increasing duration or intensity this week?

~ Consider adding a different health related goal …

Extra Credit
This weeks question:

Name some rewards you could give yourself for completing all your workouts for one week

Example...
(1) A massage.
(2) Some new workout shoes or clothes.
(3) That new novel I've been wanting to buy.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 04:51
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Week Two in review:
I got in my water intake
I got in my exercise three times (Would have been more but I bought season 5 of buffy... I sit and watched the whole thing... in one sitting.. lets just say I was up awhile for that lol I did get in alot more water that day like about 15oz each ep lol)
As far as getting the gerage done not even close but its kinda cleaned up, x-mas stuff is up and my two rooms are completely finished (minus one ceiling fan)

Week Three Goals:
5 dance or yoga (or combenation there of) workouts
120 oz water a day again
possitive affirmations for myself daily

Extra Credit :
Name some rewards you could give yourself for completing all your workouts for one week
just the secifaction that I completed somthing that is for myself, I enjoy doing my dance and yoga both its just getting started on them that is hard - I am such a procratator!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 05:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Since I had a great week 2 I am raring to go into week 3. My DS and DH have the Flu, so I'm just praying it stays away from me. I did have a flu shot but from what I am hearing on the news that really doesn't seem to help too much this year.

I was out of town in a larger city yesterday and I looked at weight machines at a few stores. I would REALLY love one!! I'm going to look here and see what they have, and also listen to the local radio for used ones. A machine would really help with the variety of what I can do here. I have wanted one for a long time, and when I talked it over with DH this fall he said if I stuck with it he wouldn't care if I got one.

Week 3 Goal
3-4 times cardio, 30 min tape
3 times weights, 2 lower body workouts, one upper body
I tried a whole session with supersets and I liked it so I will be doing that again.

Extra Credit
A new weight machine?? LOL
Maybe a new exercise video

(((((Jstpeachi)))) My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Monika - yes, and OMG workout is JUST like that commercial
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 09:13

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:

Goals for this week...

Keep moving! Seriously, though-- Don't let work or other junk get in the way from me being healthier.

* Get to Curves 3x/week.
* Get WAP in 1-2x.
* Walk a mile M-F.

Still nursing the back to get it to its former glory, but at least I'm not hurting (at the moment).

Extra Credit...
* If I am good and get all my things done this coming week, I think I will get me a nice sweater or outfit to wear for Christmas dinner. One can never have too many clothes!

Have a good week/weekend everyone!
Nikki
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:46
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%
Default Dec. 12th progress report

Goals this week:

to increase session time - done - last week 297.7 Min. - this week 389.37
to increase miles per hour - done - 4.3 to 4.8
to increase calories used - done - 2661.8 to 3487.6

Completed 28.82 miles this week compared to 21.98 last week.

This week I have reduced by body fat by 1.79%, which equals 4 lbs of body fat but gained 5 lbs of muscle. Therefore no weight loss on scales. Bummer!

I have increased my # of days exercising to 6 from 5 this week - all on the Gazelle - it would seem as I am loosing inches all over my body that I do not need addition weight training at this time - but will add this (maybe a Curves) -- will re-evaluate at the end of January.

I am doing the 1/2 hour Gazelle video tape (four cardio fast sections - as fast as you can go for 1 min.) then do an extra 1/2 hour walking at 4.5 miles per hour for fat burning.

Extra Credit

My sense of balance has improved greatly
Can shop on cement floors for hours without feeling fatigued or my feet hurting
No bloating, gas, or runs since after Oct 25th.
Except for some muscle soreness the nagging whole body neck and back pain has been greatly minimized.

I have lost a whole shoe size or more
Exercising shirts now look like short dresses!
I can now get down to the floor and get up without help or immense pain.

Next weeks reward if I maintain or better this week's progress new cross trainers!

#73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:08

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Just wanted to stop by quickly and say I met my goals this week but will have to wait till Sunday to record my accomplishments and new goals. Just too much going on over the next few days!!!!!!

Glad to see everyone else is doing so good.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Kelly

#74   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:10
One day at a timer

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I know that you are a few weeks in but I would like to start anyways.

Here are my goals for the (my first week your 3rd week ) week:

Stretching routine at least 4x
Walk at least 3x

EXTRA CREDIT:

I will treat myself to a neck, hand and foot massage (DP parents are CMTs).
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 17:32

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Oops, I forgot the weeks go from Friday to Friday. But I did manage to get my walking in for 3 days this week, so I made that goal. I will get the 2nd goal done over the weekend, which is to come up with an exercise routine I can do here at home on the off days from walking.

Week 3 goals:
- walk 30 minutes 3 times
- implement exercise routine 2 times

No extra credit for me this week.

Congratulations to everyone who made their goals this week!