Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Unhappy Looks like I'm on hiatus for a bit

My daughter was just diagnosed with Scarlet Fever today (it's a severe form of Strep). The doctor checked my other daughter and she was fine, at least for now. He asked how I was feeling, and I admitted to having a sore throat and not feeling so great - he took a look and googlie mooglie my throat was covered with blood and pus! and I had a fever of 102 and I also tested positive for Strep.

We are both on Antiobiotics and bed rest for a bit (yeah, bed rest with 2 kids!! )

Unfortunately after stopping at 3 different stores I cannot find any throat lozingers I can have that are LC friendly - they all have aspartame (which gives me migraines). So it looks like I'm on a little bit of a hiatus for the next couple of days. I was hoping that I could gargle with salt water, but the pain is just too intense.

Anyone by chance know of throat lozingers that are made with Splenda? I really hate to get extra carbs for something like that - but I'm dying right now without something. The only plus is I can't really swallow, so I don't have to worry about eating - then again, I have no apetite anyway. But the doctor reccomended lots of juice. ARRGH!

Sorry for the downer - I'm just bummed after things going so well I'm going to be set back by throat lozengers and juice! Can anyone think of any substitutes?

Thanks!
Jaya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:48

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have never found that throat lozenges actually help real pain, they more just keep it lubricated. I would think that little sips of warmish water or splenda-sweetened soda should do the same. And then pain medication for the actual pain.

So sorry you are so sick... I hope you feel better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

get better soon!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:20

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Jaya, please take care of yourself!

Are there any sugar-free gatorade type products? Those would probably be good for you. If you can't find any sugar free products (juice, lozenges etc) just go with what you can find. It sounds like you're going to be doing good just to take in enough calories to cover your basal metabolism.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Edited: In case anyone read this before I edited it, I'm an idiot. Sis had rheumatic fever; so I deleted the parts that aren't germaine.

Last edited by AzureMoon : Thu, Dec-11-03 at 15:27.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:26
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Get well soonest! Sorry you and your family are under the weather at this time of year. Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:46
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

When I have a sore throat - I drink ice water with lemon juice. I find that it helps with that feeling of not being able to swallow.

Feel better soon!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:01

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks so much everyone! I tried sucking on an icecube and that seems to help and is numbing things for a bit. I'll give ice water with lemon a try next. I remember seeing either cranberry juice or grape juice sweetened with Splenda - so my DH is going to check for me on his way home and see if he can find it.

OY, talk about stress! Then on top of this, we finally got the job offer that my husband has been waiting for down in Florida. The offer is awesome! My husband and the company are only negotiating a couple of minor things - the biggest problem and stress maker is they want him down there on Januaray 5th! HOLY CROW! How Am I supposed to get my house ship shape, sell it, buy another and get all that sorted out in 3 1/2 weeks! OMG, somebody shoot me now!

Last edited by Plagiomom : Thu, Dec-11-03 at 16:02.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:18
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Plagiomom I got two words for you, Homestead Village. I stayed there for about five months while doing some work for my company in another state. Most of them are new so therefore not run down or anything. I am single so I didn't have little ones to worry about but I do have a cat and they even fed him once when I was going to be away for a few days. It would give you time to find a good house instead of jumping into somehting. BTW, I sure hope you get better soon I had no idea Scarlete fever was still out there.

Gabrielle
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:32

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

So sorry to hear about your little one...

...and you!

Frankly, I'd use whatever throat lozenges make your throat most comfortable. When we're ill, we can't always be 100% LC as we would like to be. I'd go for comfort. Chances are really slim that utilizing lozenges will throw your entire program into a tizzy.

Feel better soon!

Donald
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 17:28

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I hope you and your daughter get well soon!!!!!! The move will work out!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 17:50
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

Wow - it sounds like its going to be a wild ride for you - Christmas, sick Mom and kids, and moving! Hang in there - you'll make it!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:02
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Wow, it's sounds like a stressful holiday. Hang in there.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:03

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

WOW! congrats on the offer though! lol dang I HATE moving! I dont want to move for a long time! lol
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 20:53

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I sure hope you get better soon. Take it easy and don't worry about the carbs right now. Your body needs to focus on getting better, not losing weight.

Congrats on the job offer and good luck on the packing. Just make a list and work on it one thing at a time.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 21:34

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Gawd, I missed the moving part!

First, CONGRATULATIONS to your DH (and you) on landing this offer!

Second, oh, let's see...what's that old adage? Oh yeah, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

Sending you get well vibes, house selling vibes, happy holiday vibes, LC strength vibes...

Take good care of yourself and the rest will fall into place as it is meant to be.

Man I'm deep tonight...

Good luck & get well.

Donald