Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:29
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Re-starting with only 11 lbs to go, need advice

Hello everyone,
Due to various stressors and excuses the past three weeks, I've been doing a half-assed job of low-carbing. I've only gained a pound or two, but I know I'm in a bad trend and I plan to start a clean induction period as soon as I can buy groceries (3 days from now). I know what I need to do, so that's not my question.

This is: How quickly should I try to move through the Atkins phases on this final go-round? I have 11 lbs. till goal. I lost 9 lbs during my first induction and have averaged 1 lb. a week since. I think it's likely that I'll lose 3-4 lbs. during a one-week clean induction period. I stopped counting my carbs during OWL because I got lazy and figured I was still losing so I must be okay (bad, I know). I have no idea what my CCLL is. <groan>

I remember Dr. A saying that you should move into pre-maintenance when you have 5-10 lbs left to go. I need an induction period to get myself back on track mentally. (With Christmas 2 weeks away it's probably not the ideal time to do this, but hey.) Any advice, timing-wise? One week of induction, then keep stepping up the carbs every couple of days? I have no clue. (This is why it's best to follow the book as written. I should be in a very different place right now.)

Thank you in advance,
Rosa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:29
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'd say do a clean two-week Induction to break the cravings and get back in the right mind-set. You then might be able to move straight into Pre-Maintenence, adding 10 daily carbs per week until you stop losing.

I haven't attempted to raise my carb levels yet, though, so maybe those who are in Pre-Maintenence or Maintenence right now will have a better solution.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 17:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I do a clean kind of "detox" when that happens to me. I usually only do it for a week then slowly start upping the carbs again. Sinc eyou are in or close to premaintanance, go ahead and up it by 10g a week, but be sure to follow the carb ladder adding in more veggies and fruits before jumping on whole grains and LC junk foods.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

Hi Rosa! First.. congratulations on being SOooooooo close to your goal! I don't have a set goal, although 160 sounds like a neat weight to be at ... I was thinking of going back to a clean induction from now till Christmas (2 weeks away!!!!) and seeing if I can lose another 10. If you like I would be happy to be a "buddy" to you... privately or in the buddies forum. I think I need someone to "keep me honest" ... since DH was doing this WOE with me, but has since given up... so I'm on my own now, and it's SO much harder on your own!!!!!!!

Whaddya say?

Blessings!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 23:51

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default getting back into the induction groove

[FONT=Arial Black]RosaAlta,
Your posting about re-starting with 11 to go is exactly my situation. Half-assed is the only way to describe my low carb behavior in the last month. I read everone's suggestions and I think I will go back to induction and try to be cheat free. Tough timing, but I do not want to blow back up over Christmas, so I'm gonna give it a major effort.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:32
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for the tips, everyone. LadyBelle's 'detox' idea is what I had in mind, although I may extend it for 2 weeks as Hilary suggested. I like the idea of considering myself in pre-maintenance after that period, but following the carb ladder rather than thinking "Ha! I'm in pre-maintenance! I can eat all sorts of things now." (That's what I would do normally, I'm afraid.) It'll be nice to get back to basics.

shaerat, I would love to be your buddy. I'll post in your journal soon.

If anyone else has suggestions for me between now & Monday, bring 'em on!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 06:32
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

shaerat... I know exactly how you feel. My DH was on Atkins for over a year, he finally convinced me to give it a go.. After me being on a few months he strted eating footlong subs again and other things.. UHG, I kinda liked having him as my woe buddy.. Hope he returns