Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Adding Bread

Just wondering if and when anyone started to add bread back into their daily carb allowance. A slice of Dempsters 100% whole wheat bread has about 11 carbs so just wondering if anyone thinks this is ok or no??????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I added some low carb bread after 4 or 5 months. It's called Healthy Life and it has 11 net carbs for two slices. It comes in wheat or white and tastes good. I don't have it that often but it hasn't seemed to bother me. I eat turkey and cheese sandwiches made from it and it tastes as good as regular bread.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

any idea where to get these low carb breads????
I am from Ontario Canada and i have never seem them??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:19

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I don't know about Canada but I buy mine at either Wal-Mart or Kroger. Do you have access to any health food stores? They might have it too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 22:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Here you just can't get LC bread in stores. 1hr away you can get bread you keep in the freezer. It's very small, tastes eh, and isn't worth the money. At home I can get a loaf of Atkins bread, still very expencive.

There is one brand of LC bread that is shelf stable. You might try finding it and ordering online. The Atkins bread is available online, but you have to pay a small fortune in cold shipping charges.

Bread is one of last things to be added back in on the carb ladder under whole grains tword the end of OWL though.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 22:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Side note. Why not instead buy the LC tortillas online. They have a ton of fiber, the small ones having 3 net carbs the larger ones 5. They don't have to be frozen so shipping is cheap, but you can freeze them and use them occasionaly. They taste great and make fabulous roll ups.

I used to get mine at www.netrition.com That is wher eI actually do a ton ofr online shopping. They have many flavores of DaVincci syrups, as well as steels LC jams and cooking sauces.

Then I found a store 1 hr away that had them. After buying there a while I found a store here that just started carrying them and had like 5 packages :P
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 22:12

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

I live in Ontario and if you are near Pandora;s Pantry store they have LC bread in their freezer...2or 3 carbs a slice.....or ask at health food stores as well..most are in the freezer 'cause they don't sell that many...also if you have a bread maker the GNC stores and other health food type places have Atkins, and Keto food bread mixes you can throw in your machine, or if you want to get real adventurous I have real great recipe from scratch for your machine ;o)

Not sure were in Ontario you are but this website delivers for free over $100.00 or if under it is only about $5-6 and they also have a store in Kitchener...they have the mixes and lots of Atkins food. I have ordered online (very fast service by Canada Post) and been in their store. Highly recommended.
www.sndcanada.com

Maggie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 08:58

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I believe the natural foods store in Sherway Gardens sells frozen LC loafs with 3 net carbs / slice. You have to freeze LC bread pretty quick b/c it'll spoil a lot faster without all those preservatives (what the HECK is in Wonderbread that makes it last so long???). Check out the Canada link for more stores etc.: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Wynter

Oh yes, and keep in mind, LC bread can stall some people (like me *sulk* ) so watch how it affects *you* personally.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:09

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I introduced LC bread after about 2.5 months (in retrospect, much too soon...) and over the few weeks that I ate that bread, my weight stopped dropping! I'm not even bringing LC bread back into my diet until I'm about 70% to goal...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:14

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmlass23
I introduced LC bread after about 2.5 months (in retrospect, much too soon...) and over the few weeks that I ate that bread, my weight stopped dropping! I'm not even bringing LC bread back into my diet until I'm about 70% to goal...

when you introduced it, how often did you eat it? Did the stall happen right away, or after eating a slice every day?
Thanks!
Maggie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:16

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%

I agree with firmlass, it completely threw me off balance. I would not be having LC bread for a long while. Not even LC muffins or pancakes. But i do find myself doing well with Bars and Candy....still in moderation.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:43

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hi - I'm in the Brampton area and there is a Sports Nutrition Depot store off hwy 10 just south of Bovaird. It sells lots of lo-carb options. I tried making the Keto Pumpernickel and it didn't rise. Will try bread machine mix next. I too would like to find a frozen bread ready to eat, but just for stuffing for Christmas. I'll check SND this weekend to see if they have bread there.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 19:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

One trick I use when I really want a sandwich is this. I take a slice of wholewheat bread that has 9 carbs and I toast it. Then while it is still warm I slice it horizontally so I end up with two very thin slices of toasted bread. I then fill it with meat, cheese and veggies and spread with mayo and voila, one awesome sandwich! Hit's the spot.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 19:44

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I make my own from scratch. The recipe forum has a lot of recipes. There are some that taste good and are also very low in carbs.