Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.5/173.5/145 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question After 38 days, I still have questions?

Thirty Eight days on this LC WOE, and I have lost 16.5lbs!!! All without feeling deprived, hungry, or feeling like the WOE has taken over my life.

I have two things that I would like some input on,

I am trying to eat allowable vegetables with every meal to increase my daily carbs from 20 to 25. Breakfast has been the hard place to add them. I eat celery with cream cheese every morning with whatever else I am eating - usually two boiled eggs. This week I made some zucchini hashbrowns, turned out more like zucchini egg fu yung , so I have been eating a patty with my breakfast. I find that something hot, is very satisfying. Would like to hear what hot veggies you all are eating in the morning.

Secondly, I have been following this WOE 99.9% by the Atkins book. In the last week I have been getting dull headaches and slight nausia, usually after eating. I drink a minimum of 128oz of water a day, plus 3 12oz. mugs of green tea. I stay away from sugar alcohol treats for the most part, and when I do partake it's one serving, and usually not more than once per week. I do not use anything sweetened with apartame. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:41

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi!! Miabella!!

I have been having some low level dull headaches too and I think it is because of having too much of the green tea. Mine has caffene in it and I think that may be the culprit. But the tea does make me feel warm and full.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:

I have been so cold lately, much more so after eating. So I drink a cup of tea to warm me up. I would hate to give up the benefits of the green tea, but maybe I should try some of the herbal blends or a decaf green.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:50

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I have never tried the decaf kind but I did see it in the store the other day. And I still have half a box of the regular kind hmm.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 11:15

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

I find if I make an omelette or scramble egg it is easy to throw lots of carbs in.....green and red peppers, green onions, or a regular onion has LOTS of carbs ! cheese, tomatoes, etc. I also like fresh tomatoes with anything I fry in the morning such as bacon.....

Maggie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I add 1 cup of fresh spinach, mushrooms and a slice of swiss cheese to my 2 scrambled eggs almost every morning...a delish way to add a few carbs in the a.m.!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 12:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For the zucchini hashbrowns to work, you have to really press the moisture out. What I do is lay some paper towls on a bath towl, then place the shredded zucchini on top. I roll it up, then sit on it for a while. Pressing between two large books could also work for the less adventerous

Other ideas for including veggies in breakfast include making the jicima oatmeal. Or using spinach. Today I had scrambled eggs with spinach and salsa for breakfast. Often I will heat up frozen spinach and press out all the excess moisture. Then I'll blend in 1 tbsp mayo or a soft cheese and use that for omlette filling.

AS for the green tea, caffine could be playing a part. It oculd also be mild dehydration. Even though you are drinking alot of water, green tea is a mild duretic and can dehydrate. I drink several hundred oz of water, but on days I donate plasma I can't have coffee or tea in the morning or I'm to dehydrated to maintain stable pressure.

For most of the health benifits of green tea you do need the caffinated kind. You also need massive amounts, much more then 3 cups a day. Using a suppliment is a much easier way to get in the needed amount.

Be careful of other ingredients in teas as well. I can't have any tea with chamomile or I get nasty headaches. If you have any kind of allergies or hay fevor you have to be extra careful about teas. Also watch for senna in some diet teas. This can be a rather harsh laxative.

I enjoy Good Earth Slimming tea. It is a duretic so it can dehydrate you if you're not careful. It has no senna or caffine though and I really enjoy the taste. You can explore a wide variety of teas. Use some DaVincci syrups in them to get even a wider variety of tastes and a sweet treat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I don't eat vegies at breakfast, unless you count the hot sauce I use on my eggs.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

spinach with eggs is great! mushrooms too, daikon and fried onions are yummy. I also like pepperjack cheese and salsa in my eggs. I also like to eat them with fresh tomato and cucumber slices lightly salted.

Ive made zucchini fritatas before with shredded zucchini and other veggies and those taste great too.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:10

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I forget about tomatoes. I have a difficult time with keeping my carbs up. Two years ago when I was on Atkins for over a year, I had a few slices here and there on a daily basis. I can't do low carb bread because it triggers cravings.

Yeah, tomatoes would do it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:51
Registered Member

BF:

I don't like fresh tomatoes I know it's wierd, because I love salsa and tomato sauce, but not a fresh tomato. I try them all the time, because they look so good and I want to like them, but so far no can do!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 17:00

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like you are doing great!

I just wanted to add that your nausea may be caused by ketones. Often times when people are in ketosis, the ketones that are produced can cause this nauseous feeling. And I've found that if I have too much caffeine during the day, I will also feel slightly nauseous.

Keep up the good work!

~Kelly Deneen