Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 06:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

In a free society as ours, you can't expect a company to avoid profits because their product is considered unhealthy -- look at the cigarette industry!

Sugar sells because consumers buy it. there're always going to be people willing to make a profit off of dopes eating junk food (and we've all been there!).

However, although I'm glad we're free to make a buck (many societies aren't) companies can only do so if the consumer wants to buy their product. So it really does come down to us educating each other to not want those products. And, hellooo, us lcarbers are finally getting through. We're changing the damn food industry. We're getting through to the restaurants, including McDonalds. When low fat was the prevailing health fad, it sold well making a lot of money, for decades. Hopefully, lc food will takeover and last a lot longer.

As Atkins himself says, we're revolutionaries and we must continue the fight for change!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:52

Plan: --
Stats: --/--/-- Female --
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi--I'm a newbie here, but I've been lurking for a few weeks. This forum is so informational and inspirational! I know this isn't the thread for introductions, so I plan to post a proper introduction in the right forum soon.

Lisa and Tresfoofers, your comments about music and education caught my attention. My 25-year-old son is a musician and producer, and in the last couple of years he has written and recorded several educational music CDs for a national Gr K-6 textbook publisher--songs for Grammar, Math, ESL and Spanish. And now, appropriately for this thread, he's writing the music for a Physical Education exercise CD. The educational content is solid, and the music is current and fresh--in all genres (pop, rock, hip-hop, latin, country, etc.), so there's something for everyone. The students (and teachers too!) love the songs, and are learning their math facts, grammar rules and other lessons while singing and having fun. Lisa, you're right about how music helps memorization. Some teachers have even had their students produce their own karaoke music videos to the songs!