Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Gut Health, Candida & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 19:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 166/151/112 Female 5''3
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question too many tablets?

Hello.

It's the first time I have written a message on this forum. From what i have read so far, the advice seems very helpful.
I realize I have a candida problem and bought recommended probiotics but the problem is, I'm already taking other low diet suppliment. ( I'm doing the Atkin's diet.)
I'm wondering if you wise gurus give me some adivice.

I'm taking followings each day:

Atkins Basic3 formula (x3)
Fish oil-omega3, Flaxseed oil-omega3 starflower oil-omega 5 (1 each, x3)
L-Carnitine 500mg (x3)
Acidophilus 50mg- 2billion cells (x3)
Caprylic Acid 350mg (x1)
Pau d'arco 500mg (x3)
Chelated calcium Magnesium Zinc (x3)
Vitamin c 1000mg (x1)

So, a total of 20 tablets I'm taking at the same time, each day. (they all prefer to meal time taking ).

1. Am I doing right? Am I take too many tablets at the same time?

2. Wouldn't they cancel each other if taken at the same time? ( for example, taking Acidophilus after Caprlic Acid)?

3. Atkins basic3 formula doesn't mention whether it's yeast free or not. Should I keep on taking it?

4. If i'm taking St. John's Wort as well, would it effect my probiotics?

5. Can I eat sugar free goat's yogurt? (I saw it at the supermarket today, it has about 4 carb per 100g. It's only ingredient is goat's milk but dosen't mention the word, wheat free.)

Thank you for your time . Your advice is greatly appriciated.
Best regards.

Last edited by sunshine77 : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 20:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Sunshine,

I take lots of vitamins, minerals and supplements. The better way is to spread them out between each meal rather than all at once.

I would not eat the goat's milk yogurt. The acidophilus has a very poor survival rate and you need more than just that. A healthy balance of beneficial bacteria (called probiotics) must be restored in the intestines during the low-carbohydrate, anti-yeast diet. The most common approach is to supplement the diet with a probiotic containing live lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus bulgaricus and bifidobacterium bifidum as the better choices. Lactobacillus bulgaricus is intended to help the GI tract be more suitable for the survival and growth of lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum. Acidophilus is the primary bacteria of the small intestine while bifidum is the major bacteria of the large intestine. Others beneficial bacteria include bifidobacterium lactis, bifidobacterium longum, and/or others. New evidence points to lactobacillus sporogenes as being particularly effective against intestinal and vaginal infections and should also be taken. Most should be refrigerated. Capsules and liquids are available, but care should be taken in the selection because many brands contain dead spores. Quality products are usually kept in a cooler at the health food or vitamin store. Expect some or all products to contain rice flour, potato starch, maltodextrin and other fillers which are needed to keep the bacteria alive. Take only one tablet or one teaspoon with each meal or with water. Do not take high quantities as may be suggested on some bottles. Sporogenes is highly recommended for everyone, even healthy individuals. It does not require refrigeration.

Benefits of Lactobacillus Sporogenes as a probiotic.

Sporogenes is hard to find. The only good source I know of is online at:

Lactobacillus Sporogenes supplier.

The multidophilus or a similar product is readily available at vitamin or health food stores. Online information can be seen at:

Multidophilus Lactic Flora Complex, Non-Dairy by Solaray supplier.

Check out my web page on inflammatory bowel diseases and candida at:

Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, IBD, IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis & Candida.

Kent
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:19

BF:
Default more questions

Hi Kent.

Your info is so useful. Thanks for your reply.
As I was reading your message, few qestions were raised in my mind. I hope you don't mind answering these.

Quote:
Do not take high quantities as may be suggested on some bottles.

1. I'm thinking why is that?. I thought, it is probiotics and it doesn't harm you even if you take it quite alot. Are they harmful if you take it alot?

Quote:
Take only with each meal or with water.

2. Some people in this forum mentioned that it's better to take the probiotics before going to bed and after getting up in the morning because most of probiotics will not survive if our stomach acid is active. That's why I have been taking probiotics in that way although it is written on the bottle that it is suppose to be taken with meal. So, I'm a bit confused. Which way is right?

3. You mentioned various good bacterias. I could take quite few bottles of this bacterias. but I read of a product called " threelac". It claimed we don't need other supplements as it is powerful enough. It is designed to survive stomache acid and etc...etc..( they said we don't even change our diet because it's that good.)
I'm wondering if you know anything about this product?
I haven't try it yet but Is it just commercial PR? or Is it really a miracle product?

4. I'm concerned also my mother has candida. The problem is that she is taking a lot of strong pills for her various illness. I read on the net somewhere that taking strong medication would create bad environment to the good bacterias and it could cancel the effect of the good bactrias.

I think she should still take some but maybe at different times from her normal medication. So, how long do you suggest her intervals between the strong medication and probiotics?

Oh dear.. I wrote another long long message in here but your replies make a real difference and i will be ever greatful.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Sunshine,

I believe some products push high quantities simply to increase their sales. I know some suggest 6 probiotic tables per day. Taking more will not harm but may not be any more beneficial. One each meal is certainly enough.

Take the product according to the directions on the bottle. I take mine with each meal.

I have read about Treelac but not studied it much.

Sporogenes is absolutely AWESOME. It totally relieves the sluggish bowel feeling that we sometimes get on the low-carb diet. It is a rugged bacteria that survives heat, cold and stomach acids.

Your mother's medication is something she will have talk to her doctor about. The principle behind curing Candida is to starve the yeast infection while strengthening the bodies immune system to deal with it. My web page is designed to achieve this goal.

Let us know how you react to the changes in your diet.

Kent
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:58

BF:
Default thanks alot, kent

Hi kent

Thanks for your kind reply.
I will definitely take Sporogenes as you recommended.

I think I maybe give a go with threelac after my supplemets are over. Some people reckons it works. It is pricey but would be worthwhile if it is that good as advertisement. (Hmm... am I naive.. I wonder .... )

As for my mother, I will buy some product for her and she will dicuss with her doctor.

I'm on my 12th day of induction on the Atkins diet. I feel fine apart from I haven't shifted that much weight. I understand it could be that i have candida problem but I feel still a bit disappointed. well... nothing is perfect and hopfully I can lose some weight in the future. At least I discovered I have candida because of Atkins diet.

Thaks a lot kent. much appreciated