Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/115 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress:
Question Just started... little skeptical

I just started atkins diet three days ago, and Im nervous that I won't see the dramatic initial weight loss people speak of within the first two weeks. I am eating a lot of ham and turkey, salmon but I feel like its a lot of food and need some encouragement. I don't have a scale. What can be expected within the first two weeks? Any good success stories about induction? encouragement please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:15
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Welcome to the forums! It is typical to lose 10% of the weight you want to lose during the first two weeks of Induction. In other words, you want to lose 25 pounds total, so you can expect to lose approx. 2.5 pounds during Induction. Anything more than that is just a bonus. Don't be discouraged if you don't drop 15 pounds in two weeks like some people do — you have much less to lose than they do, so your body will let go of the weight more slowly. This is normal, and a good thing.

It's OK if you feel like you're eating a lot of food. The first two or three days on Induction, I was ravenous. Never felt full. Then it quickly leveled off, and now I feel full much more quickly than I used to.

Top tips for Inductions are:
1. DON'T CHEAT. Do a totally clean Induction to break you of your cravings.
2. Eat your veggies.
3. Drink your water.
4. Don't be afraid of fat. Add mayo, butter, olive oil, etc. to your meals wherever possible.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:23

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Hi and welcome, ditto on what Hilary has said... but also read read and read... especially on these forums, use fitday and type in your food to give you a good idea on what to eat and not to eat.

For example it can get depressing if you don't lose weight whilst doing induction (I know because I didn't) but when I found out what I was eating wrong I started to lose weight (I was eating chewables vitamins which contained hidden sugar)

To help you start a journal and write what you are eating in it and then we can help point out any places that could do better or could do worse

Either way good luck and enjoy it - I hardly got withdrawls so it totally each to their own

Sarah
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Alot of ham, smoked salmon, bacon, and other processed foods can not only cause water retention, but also usually have sugar. Fresh salmon though is great and full of healthy fats.

You really need to make sure to get your veggies in though. They really help to add variety to the day and also provide alot of fiber and nutrients.

Get an account at www.fitday.com and that will help you see where your carbs are coming from. It will also help you see what your calories are and where they are coming from. ATkins is a high fat diet, so during induction 65-70% of your claories will come from fat.

Number one rule though is not to compair yourself to other people. That will only lead to depression. When you learn how your body reacts you will lose weight at the rate that is best for it. Weight loss also isn't constant. There are times it will go nowhere, and even times it goes up. The overall will be down though.

Remember to this way of eating is a learnign process. Not only do you learn about how many carbs you can tolerate, but also what kinds of foods you have issues with and how your body best loses weight. If you don't notice weight loss at first, don't be discouraged. Instead make sure you've taken your measurements and see if inches are going down. That means your losing fat. Also post your menus on here and see if people have suggestions of ways to get things going.

Drink tons and tons of water You are trying to push your weight below where your body may want to go too, so it will be very slow weight loss. Instead of focusing on the scale, go get your body fat tested. A great site for that would be http://www.mybodycomp.com

If you have 100 pounds or more of lean mass, then 114 total weight would not only be impossible, but trying to get there would be dangerous. As close as you are now to a healthy weight, its not only going to take diet, but exercise and strength training to lose fat. While the scale may not move much, body fat would drop quite a bit, and you would be left with a slim, long, toned look.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

Best suggestion I can give is drink as much water as you can stand so you can flush out the byproducts of fat burning. I am on induction too and have found the more water I drink the better. I've lost 4 lbs and back on induction after my Thanksgiving cheat. Good luck with your weight loss!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:45

Stats: 139/135/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 44%

I was the same way, when I started. I'm doing it to be supportive of my husband, and when we started, I would look at the cheeseburger on my plate and think, "there is no way this is going to work." I was actually pretty nervous, because I've been a WW follower for many years. But lo and behold, the first week, I lost 5 lbs. It was pretty amazing to see that. If you do a clean induction, follow the rules, you will see results. Good lucK!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 10:38

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Welcome!
Skepticism is good. However it will be relieved in the next two weeks if and only if you do as those above have suggested....DO A CLEAN INDUCTION. No bars, frankenfoods, only natural unprocessed stuff and drink lots of water.
Congrats on the smart move to take some action on your goal and feel free to drop in here everyday for ideas and support!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I hope to lose close to a total of 35 lbs. On my 2 weeks on induction, I lost 9 lbs. Presently, I have lost a total of 26 lbs. I think. Considering I have made the same New Year's Resolution for 10 years to lose lose 20 lbs, it is nice to know that I have finally succeeded that goal.

I have been eating this woe for a year and it shows. I eat alot of food,yet, I am in more control with my appetite.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:36
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome. Don't worry your not alone with feeling skeptical. 35 lbs. after beginning Atkins, I still find myself skeptical because I feel like this is just too easy. I eat great foods, as much as I want, and I am still loosing. As said before, open an account with Fitday. It's great and especially helpful when starting because you can really see what you are eating...