Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#721   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 21:56
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziesgirl
I trust text books, for the most part. i do not trust studies, for the most part. you show me a textbook that claims that the brain runs equally well on ketones

I have said this before but I will say it again because I do not understand....I don't know about anyone else but in my world, the textbooks used in my university are based on studies. Scientific studies by reasearchers. They are not opinions pulled out of thin air. And IMO, in some of the cases, if we are talking tainted research here, people going for their Ph.D doing research will write a textbook and they have to prove or disprove something in order to achieve this Ph.D. Do you not think, Gymeejet, that their studies just may be biased? So although you may deem this textbook to be an almighty source of information, it may even be less valid than the recent research available.

steph, i already answered that just a couple posts up.
Sponsored Links
  #722   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:02

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

[QUOTE=Lisa N]
What I find hysterical about this statement is that textbooks are based on studies, often very old ones by the time they make it into textbooks! They don't pull all that information out of thin air, gymee. In other words, often by the time the information can be compiled and a textbook published, the information contained within it is outdated.

Wow, I just read this and I am so happy someone agrees with me, thank you lisa. I was wondering when someone would let that be known
  #723   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:03

BF:

Sorry for missing a page ;-)
  #724   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:10

BF:

Oh btw, Gymeejet, you never really did adequately address the fact of textbooks versus scientific studies. Most scientific studies are not meant for the general public either. That is, if you find studies that aren't on the web (for the most part) or incorporated in to an journalistic article. Scholastic Academic articles are meant for academia to read, not the general public (again for the most part) So that totally does not coincide with whatever you told Lisa.
  #725   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 01:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkblue
My therefore statement made very much "logical sense". I stated that my grandmother did NOT eat well. I stated that she ate good ole country cooking, in fact it is exactly the way that many obese people do here in the south. My "therefore" came along because I was making a point that she lived to that age BECAUSE of genetics, NOT her eating patterns. The main exception is that she had the genetic predisposition to live a longer life. She did not live longer because she ate this healthy diet packed full of essential fats and good carbs. When my grandmother made the comment about living too long she was not even sick, so your comment about someone making that statement because they are sick is absurd.

let's assume that your grandmother ate less than stellar, and that she did have a genetic predisposition to a longer life than most people do. the mistake here is to assume that she lived as long and healthily as she could have, had she ate better.

i am sorry that you apparently do not have a lot of experience with older people. for if you had, you would have known that most all older people make this comment when they are older, especially when they get sick. for them, life only exists in the past. there is no future. this can cause depression to set in. in fact, this can happen at any age, when one lacks direction or goals, for they are not receiving the meaning in their life, that they are desperately searching for. but at least for a younger person, they can have the hope of possibilities. this does not exist for ann older person, on their last legs, so to speak. anyways, good health to you.
  #726   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:38
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Cancer and Sugar

Quote:
i have read about cancer, doing well in a sugar environment, and if i had cancer, i would really do some research on it. but cancer for the most part, is a disease brought on by our lifestyle.

most people do not know what cancer is. most people would be surprised to know that we all have cancerous cells in our body at all times. a cancerous cell is simply a cell whose division process is on at all times, thus dividing more often than what our healthy cells do.

our immune system keeps them in check, so that they can not mass together and cause a growth, i.e. cancer.

but limiting our sugar to prevent from getting cancer is akin to spiting our nose to save our face, or however that saying goes - LOL.

Hi, Gymee. Recently there have been a number of studies that show that the risk factor for both T2 (insulin resistant) and T1 (no insulin production) diabetics is greater with certain types of cancer (the ones that have been studied at least). The recent articles that I read pertained to ovarian cancer and breast cancer.

You are correct to a certain extent about the cancer cells, but I think there is also a certain deformity that occurs with these rapid growth cells as well.

In any case, sugar is an easy fuel, an accellerant, and I believe that a high (blood) sugar environment promotes the cancerous cells to happy growth. Sugar also accelerates the aging process--I would assume, again, that it is the high blood sugar, not necessarily the consumption of sugars (although the two are linked, particularly if excessive insulin production wears out the organs involved).

I think that exercise is probably the single most effective way of managing blood sugar. Excessive exercise will allow an individual to consume a lot more carbohydrates without serious affect to blood glucose levels. But this isn't necessarily an "optimal" situation to recommend to the public at large. I think to give balance, that moderate exercise with moderate carb consumption is preferable and more realistic than high carb consumption with constant intense exercise.

The question about cancer in general is "what IS it about our lifestyle" that promotes cancer? I would suspect that certainly there is an environmental factor with toxins and pollutants (like smoking) that increase cancer risk, but there are certain dietary factors as well.

On the obverse, the vitanutrients of fruits and vegetables (to reiterate this is NOT a non-fruit and vegetable diet), particularly the antioxidants are cancer-fighters.

Lack of exercise is also a factor and that may also be linked to blood sugar.

The optimal balance in our bodies, no matter whose bodies they are, is finding the right proportion of carbs/protein/fat matched with the daily exercise level that we have and that we need, and that can only be determined individually.
  #727   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hi bv,
another excellent post. i have never been advocating my level of exercise for the average person. but for optimal health, here is what i would advocate.

exercise as much as possible, and eat carbs to fuel that level of exercise. we all have to understand our bodies, and exercise to our capabilities. there is always that person you see jogging on the street, that you know should have stopped miles ago. this is not healthy, in the slightest - just look at the marathoners, many of whom are eating up their body.

my most vigorous cardio routine i do twice a week at that level of intensity, there is no way that i could or would do it every day. the weightlifting for me, plays just the opposite effect - instead of vigorous movements, it is slow and controlled, and i would say mostly at a fat-burning level. i don't burn tons of sugar until i start doing cardio.
  #728   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 16:45
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

one other thing about exercise - if we exercise vigorously enough to burn sugar, we will increase our ability to store glycogen. so when we eat the sugar, it has somewhere to place it, other than storing it as fat.

my levels of consumption have nothing to do with another person's level of consumption. we all have to guage that by our lifestyle and activity levels.

the first time i had my extensive blood tests, the doctor re-took my electrical heart measurements. he could not believe it - my heart was considerably stronger than the 20-something old professional soccer players he worked with. it was the first time i really understood one of the reasons i could literally run others into the ground, from both a combined intensity and endurance, and just how much the heart is helped by vigorous exercise.
  #729   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 16:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

bv, here is my take on the cause of cancer, and the cause of most diseases.

first we need to define "cause". let's say that "B" causes cancer. we have positive evidence of a direct link, in that we know how "B" reacts directly with the cells, to cause cancer to grow.

but then we also find that in order to have "B" present, we must have "A". without "A", there can be no "B". so does "A" cause cancer or does "B" cause cancer ? well the american cancer society is never gonna find "B", for then they would be out of a job. but in my opinion, we already know what "A" is - "an out-of-balance-body", because of which is no longer working as designed. the longer "A" exists, the more disease processes are allowed to build up, until kablamo, we got a cancer growth, or whatever. this is why i am so persistent on getting these tests, and keeping one's body in balance, SO THAT IT CAN WORK AS IT WAS DESIGNED.
  #730   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Stats: 160/132/125 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

I actually have had alot of experience with older people. I happen to work in a field where I experience them every day. I do understand what you are saying about older people stating this when they are sick. My point is that my grandmother did NOT say this to me when she was sick. She said it to me a long time before she became sick.
I'm just trying to make a point that she lived to an age that alot of people do not reach even though she did not eat the way you say she should have eaten. I have a hard time believing that most people could live to be 140 without any health problems if they eat the way you say to. I have a really hard time believing that they would be out there running with the 30 year olds just because of their diet. Old age is just that....Old age. No matter what they eat, time will certainly wear you down. No matter what you eat.
  #731   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Tamarian,

You know, I probably wouldn't be so gung- ho on low carbs if the health and dietary community weren't so gung- ho against this WOE.
  #732   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Tamarian,

You know, I probably wouldn't be so gung- ho on low carbs if the health and dietary community weren't so gung- ho against this WOE.

True. The thing is, we've had too much brainwashing from food lobbying by manufacturers the last 30 years until sugar/carbs became the focus of misguided "healthy" nutrition, like our friend here, that we can't expect to undo the harm done in a couple of years. You feel like you're Galileo trying to explain to people how the earth is round by scientific evidence, but they tell him they've read elsewhere otherwise.

Wa'il
  #733   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 01:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkblue
You try having 2 children via c-section and see if your body isn't at a point where you MUST make changes to provide longevity. No, I may not be very old, but I do know exactly what it feels like to be overweight, out of shape, and just plain BLAH. I also know what it feels like to lose the weight and feel good about myself. I prefer the later thank you.

having children is different from aging. just keep an eye on your health, because you may find some changes still to come, in addition to what you have experienced from having children.
  #734   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 08:00
Registered Member

Stats: 160/132/125 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

Gymeejet,

I fully intend to watch my health. That is exactly why I am lcing. I knew I was getting out of control and did not want things to get worse.
  #735   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziesgirl
We do not maintain that this is the best diet for people but it may be the best for us, personally
I honestly do not see how you could have missed that. I am not trying to get anyone to follow this plan, I am doing what feels best for me. I only responded to this because you are so far off in you thinking. Who on this forum said that this was the best diet for all people? If I recall correctly, it was you who said YOURS was supposedly the "best"

i am not here to bash you personally, or even to change your diet, and i believe that you personally are not attempting to get anyone to follow your plan.

the gang here has been fairly adamant about saying that lcing is the best way to go. this is not advertised as a website for diabetics, or such, and when given a chance to say that their diet was only best for diabetics, i got comments about how i was trolling, etc. they are indeed touting this to be the "best diet". i am here simply to show people a better alternative to the typical western diet that they have probably been indulging in.