Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/240/170 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress:
Default "Lines" appearing on body after weight loss?

Hello, I've been on a diet for a while now, and have noticed weird lines (like veins) on the sides of my stomach, as well as below the armpits.

I was wondering if other people were experiencing the same problem, and what solution they suggest.

I spoke about it with my sister and she said it happens to people who lose weight, and that it's permanent...please tell me it isn't so :/

I tried seeing a dermatologist but they're all overbooked and won't see me for at least a month.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Stats: 200/192/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

They are stretch marks..and usually are somewhat permanent. There was a thread going a few weeks ago about what to put on them. I think the prevailing suggestion was cocoa butter. Also, over time they may disappear somewhat. I think I read to give it at least a year before pursuing cosmetic procedures..
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

hehe... those are stretch marks. They were probably there before, you just didn't notice them. The purplish veiny look will fade out in time, but a stretch mark is basically a scar caused by the skin expanding faster than it was designed too (i.e. it happens when you gain a lot of weight or grow really fast in a short period of time). They will fade into something silvery and less noticable.

Since these marks seem to be "fresh" as they are still purple and veiny-looking, try using retinol a or cocoa butter on them. These treatments help with fresh marks, but once they fade out there is nothing really you can do for them... short of surgery/removing stretched out skin.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 21:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Sounds like stretch marks to me.... are they depressed, kind of "wiggly" lines?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 21:09

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Scars can disappear...though, don't know if these will. When I was 16, I layed my arm down on a Hot Exhaust manifold...which basically worked like a branding iron. I had a scar there for 3-4 years, and figured it was gonna be permanent. Now, there's a slight color difference and you wouldn't be able to tell from a casual glance there ever was a scar there. That said, I've got quite a few stretch marks myself...and I'm hoping they'll also fade away.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 21:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Unfortunately, stretch marks are more or less permanent. They do fade, but they never go away completely. They're caused by the skin actually tearing when it's being stretched faster than it can accomodate (as in pregnancy or fast weight gain). I think some creams can actually help them fade faster, but as far as getting rid of them completely, the only thing I've heard of so far that works is surgery and that leaves scars of its own, just hopefully less of them. It's expensive, too, as well as being considered "cosmetic" by pretty much every insurance company out there and as such would not be covered.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is something on the market now that can help with the reduction of stretch marks, but only if it is used while they are still purple. After time they will fade to flesh colored. Some of the smaller ones may fade completely away in time.

I don't remember the name of the cream, but if you talk to your pharmasist about it, they may be able to help. It is mostly sold for reducing the appearance of scars.

Rogain can also help. Stretch marks are normal and happen when ever there is a sudden loss or gain of weight. Pregnancy is also a huge factor. Things that can help with stretch marks though are:
lose slow and steady. It's sudden changes in weight that usually help to cause them.
Stay very well hydrated as this helps to improve skins elasticity.
Give yourself lotion massages to improve circulation and also help with elasticity.

For the most part you may just have to put up with them. Dermatologists can help somewhat, but probably not enough to make it worth the cost.

Think of it as motivation to keep the weight off once you hit maintanance too. Gaining weight again will just mean more stretch marks and make the ones you have more noticable
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 23:41

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm sorry to agree that it's probably stretch marks. It's a bummer, but stretch marks are the side affect of gaining weight, pregnancy or growing quickly (as in puberty). They occur when the bottom layer of skin tears when the skin is stretched with quick growth. Since they go through all layers of skin, there is no procedure to remove them short of removing the skin (as mentioned above). There are creams on the market that help. You might ask a local pharmacist to suggest one. How they change over time is usually genetic, but for most people they'll fade to a silvery white and be hardly noticeable.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:01
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I personaly see results using Mederma..After having 4 children I really got stretch marks and they don't appear near as bad since I been using it. Hope it helps.
Angel
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

Yep, its stretch marks. I've gotten them as a result of gaining and losing weight over the years and also from the birth of my son. They started out purplish pink and are now a whitish color and not very noticable. I think once I get to the weight I want to be and have my body toned up that they will be even less noticable. I may even try that Mederma. As of now Im not that worried about them.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:05

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I also found stretch marks from having 3 babies. They've faded away and truthfully, I never notice them or even think about them. Depending on your skin tone, they show up more when you tan. Since I'm pretty fair year round, it's not an issue. But be on the safe side and use lots of sunscreen next summer.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:18
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I have noticed stretchmarks like this on my calves... i didn't see them... and used to think my legs were great.. and never really gained much weight along w/ the rest of me....... well i was wrong...

sorry to say the lines you are discribing are stretchmarks that are finally visible to you....

My mother swears by Cocoa butter... after 4 children she has hardly any lines to speak of... Also, you can also bathe w/ TONE soap.. it is made w/ cocoa butter.
I am about to go and get some cocoa butter myself..

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:42

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Your dermatologist can give you a prescription for Retin-A.

This is the only cream/lotion that's been proven medically to reduce the bad appearance of stretch marks. BUT you must use it while the stretch marks are fresh and purple.

The research came out about a year after I had my daughter, too late to do anything about my stomach!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 13:11

Stats: 265/240/170 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress:

My thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry I didn't check in earlier, but I've been busy with the school finals.

The lines I have are not purplish, I meant "veiny" in the sense that they look like veins. They're white and can be sometimes hard to see depending on the lighting. I panicked because I thought this can get much worse as I continue losing weight, and that I'd end up like Fat Bastard in Austin Powers 3's ending.

Regarding the suggestions of cocoa butter and Retin-A:
exactly how would I go about using these? Would I have to rub them on my body every day? It sounds gross, not to mention impractical. Or are they simply things I can rub while showering, and they're immediately aborbed?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 13:30
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have stretch marks on my stomach from my two pregnancies and then had a hysterectomy 3 years ago... I had skin cancer on my face had that removed and the dermatologist gave me "mederma" to put on my scar on my face, it worked great so I tried it on the scar on my belly from my hysterectomy (which was 2 years old already) and it not only faded the scar, it made the stretch marks fade so that the only time I see them is if I get sunburned.... The stretch marks were almost 10 years old when i put it on them and the areas I didn't put it on were still marked next to the area cleared up by the mederma, I recomend it highly!