Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 228/170/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Red face bowels in an uproar

Whats happening to me? I was ok for the first week of this CAD diet, then I started having smaller and smaller bowel movements, and now have been constipated for 2 days. I have been taking Fiber Con (2 a day) and last night I took 3 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia. No help yet, Heck! I can't lose weight this way
PS don't pay attention to my stats I got the numbers wrong. Tried to edit my profile but couldn't
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 21:39

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Do you have plenty of water going in...how about fat? Sometimes you need a little more fat in your diet to keep things running smoothly.

Hope you figure it out...

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 22:06

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Try this...

Drink your water, include LOTS of fresh veggies with lots of fiber and most importantly...chew them well, this gets the fiber and happy enzymes out of your food. I beleive one of the greatest problems in the american diet is that everyone eats too fast and doesn't take the time to really enjoy their food. I've had major bowel and stomach upsets and it all stopped when I stopped wolfing my food and started to enjoy it thouroughly. I consciously make sure I spend 1 minute per bite of food masticating and tasting instead of watching the tube or computer while I eat.

The lecture has stopped.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 08:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Several of us have added prunes (daily) to our reward meals with good results. Your trouble is not uncommon here!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 11:16

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Yep, I second the idea of prunes... delish and full of fiber Reward meal only, of course!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 12:00

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Yes--prunes are definitely the goods! I've been having 3 of them, chopped over my rm salad each day--and have never had another problem...
**Forgot to say--for sure--get that water!!!! (If you're not already doing so).. It makes a huge difference...

Last edited by Tess M : Tue, Nov-25-03 at 12:02.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 14:24
Registered Member

BF:

Well OK; everyone seems to agree that I need prunes and lots of water. I am drinking about 4-12 oz glasses of water a day and have been for the past week.
Last night I had 3 prunes, as a snack. None of this seems to have any effect on me. I can't figure it out. you would think that after 5 days I would be gaining weight since my intake is exceeding my output! but I haven't gained or lost a pound.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 15:26

I suffer from IBS - so I know constipation. Are you trully constipated (zero bowel movements) or are your BMs just smaller and harder? The smaller BMs would be due to your reduced food intake. The fibre from the prunes may take several days to act. In addition you should try to eat higher fibre choices from the veggie list. When my constipation gets really bad my doc says its okay to take a laxitive every night until something happens (you should check with yours) so I use Agarol - its mineral oil that taste like vanilla and is sucrose free. Last but definately not least - try to not worry about it, stress is one of the worst things for bowel motility.

Last edited by Jalera2003 : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 15:27.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 15:31

Something else, you should try to drink more than 48oz water daily. Does anyone remember the formula for intake based on current weight. Isn't it weight devided by 2 = oz per day?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 04:23

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

M~Nien,
If you haven't been "outputting" and your weight is still the same, then there is a good chance that you will show a loss when you finally get that straightened around.
I take a product called "Prodiem" from time to time when I need it. It works fine for me

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 17:18

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

i eat beans almost everyday. 3 hours after rm i usually "GO"
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 15:31
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Jalera 2003. Your's was a most encoraging post. I'm sad to say I went completely off the diet this last 2 days. Thanksgiving goodies et-al.
Went to my stepdaughters for the 2 days and she had none of the rccommended foods. plus there were 4 adult smokers who refused to go outside. (I've been off cigs. for almost 7 months after smoking for over 50 years)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:34

Are you um "going" now? I usually get cleaned out when I "deviate". BTW congrats on the quiting smoking, if you can do that you can do anything!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 11:11
Registered Member

BF:

Almost normal again. guess it was all the carbs I ate over the holiday. Back on the diet again since Sat. My scales are going crazy. Yesterday I gained 4 lbs between 6 AM and 8 PM. This morning I was a lb less than yesterday morning.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 09:05

Plan: south beach
Stats: 224/168/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

So I am wondering if we are not allowed to take psyllium fiber on this WOE--the kind I get from TJ's has 10 carbs but 10 g of fiber and no sugar or filler or anything else--is this not allowed?