Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

I , Cara, am commited (or should be ) to making more active choices everyday for the next 8 weeks and to report here with my progress, and/or stumbles, for support and encouragement.

Goals for this week:
Get up 1/2 hour earlier to do morning exercise.
Go to Curves 5x a week.
Continue with the family weekend ACTIVE-ity.
Drink more water. (I work on the 2nd floor. Potty's on the 1st. The more I drink the more times I climb those stairs )

Extra Credit

1. I feel more energetic and able to "survive" the day. I don't feel like I am going to collapse every evening.
2. My moods are more even. I can tolerate so much more. Things don't seem to bother me so much.
3. Exercise gives me some time to think,reflect and focus. A woman at my Curves last week said I looked almost "Animalistic" the way I dive right into the machines. I told her that I like to achieve my "Zen" state while doing the reps. I get so many more done in that 30 seconds.

*I have had a special moment recently that has reaffirmed my new WOL and I'd like to share with everyone.

I am a new member at Curves, last week one of the more senior members told me that I encouraged her. I was kind of shocked, but smiled and told her "THANKS!". I didn't realize that "I" was helping someone else, simply being there. I just finished reading the book, "The 5 people you meet in Heaven", and its true. We are all a part of everyone elses story.

So anywhoo... Thanks to everyone for simply being here. You have no idea how many times you have all encouraged me.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:29

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks for the welcome, Monika. I'm excited to see what this program can do for me. In just 9 days I've lost 3 inches off my waist.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:10

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the welcome Monika. You aren't the first to call me the queen of flax. I do love it as an Omega3, a fiber and a low carb baking sub. If your good I'll give you the chocolate pudding flax recipe.
The dressing is very easy I baked all the ingrediants, the onion, celery and herbs in the muffins and then just crumpled them up and soaked them with some turkey broth and baked it in the oven like regular dressing. It comes out sort of like corn pudding if you use a lot of broth or like a giant stuffing muffin if you don't use very much.

Marieshops wow a kindergarten teacher. Thanks for the great job you are doing educating our future. I'm sure you get lots of exercise chasing them around all day and can plan an exercise session as part of your daily curriculum. Then you'd have all those exercise buddies to motivate you too.

Last edited by Atkins4myW : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 12:13.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 00:26
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Yesterday I "curved", today I DECORATED THE HOUSE for Christmas! And, yes, it's an aerobic workout! Took 1.5 hours, and lots of trips up and down the stairs, plus the bending and lifting (and I didn't have to bring up the boxes from under the house, even...). Hey, just setting up the manger scene (also known as "O Booming Metropolis of Bethlehem"--it takes up a full 18 gallon storage box [and the pieces max out at 5" tall!]) can be considered a workout.

Tomorrow's going to be difficult--I have a field trip for the entire day, then a Site Council meeting, THEN a sectional for our Christmas Concert. Not sure where Curves will fit in.

Jude
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 07:22
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Monica, the following is what I actually accomplished this week on the great adventure of the Third TDC Fitness Challenge.
-----------------------------------------------------

Friday: walk 2.1 miles before breakfast. workout with weights.

Saturday: walk 3.4 miles before breakfast, slow pace, plenty of stops for rest. I love to walk but think I'm too heavy for the extended walks because my right knee started to get a twinge in it and my feet were sore for a few days.

Sunday: walk 2.1 miles before breakfast. workout with weights. walk 1.35 miles in the evening.

Monday: walk 2.1 miles before breakfast.

Tuesday: walk 2.1 miles before breakfast. workout with weights. walk 1.35 miles in the evening.

Wednesday: walk 2.1 miles before breakfast.

Thursday: Day off

Weight Workout - 20 reps, light weights.

The goal of my workout is to tone the muscles and burn stored glycogen to enhance getting rid of fat. I have no desire to increase muscle size and/or strength at this time, I will simply be satisfied with working with what I currently have.

DB preacher curls x6
DB side laterals x6
DB front laterals x6
DB rows x4
lat pull downs x4
DB bench press x7
tri push downs x4
DB tri ext x4

EXTRA CREDIT

This week I noticed how much better I feel about myself because I'm exercising consistently. I know I have muscle somewhere underneath all that fat even though others cannot see it. I know that I am doing the right thing because there is no argument that consistent exercise is essential to a long term weight loss solution.

Next week's goal is to keep going, stay consistent and not injure myself.

Last edited by mudknife : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 07:28.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Wow Marty

I feel so lazy now that I have read your post!
Kelly
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 13:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi everyone:

I missed getting my goals posted for this first week.
I don't know what I am going to do, but exercise as much as I can. I found out a week and half ago that I am expecting my second child. Woo hoo, what a surprize!!!

Anyway, I am carrying on pretty much as usual, walking and doing back exercises, until meeting with the midwife. I am considered high risk, so I might have to make modifications in the future to my exercises.

I am setting goals to take my vitamins and drink my water.

This week I have met my goals in all areas. I walked 50 minutes 4x, took all my vits, drank lots of water, and did my back exercises.

Benefits of Exercise:
~feeling stronger
~feeling of accomplishment
~destressing

I hope everyone is doing great.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 05:16
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

OK, AntiM, and all the other fine folks participating in this opportunity to get ourselves healthier...I made the 1st week of this to the letter.

Am feeling some pains in my bad leg from either the bad stuff being purged from the body from my 21 Days of Christmas gift to myself or from the fact that as part of the purge program I no longer take pain killers...so will only say I will do my best to get as much lower body stuff in as possible. It may be all aerobic rider and my evening walk may be shortened...but I will still get it all done!

I am taking my supplements without fail; doing my exercise as stated; and eating the cleanest food program I have ever eaten in my life. I will not weigh again til the 22nd (or the 25th? Still debating that in my mind!)...but figure that the increased health I am receiving is worth whatever minor pains I go thru to get there!

Have a great week all!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:01

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Alien abduction clause being invoked this week due to horrendous work schedule Didnt' meet my exercise goals this week, but stayed cheat free in terms of the WOE. Am expecting the aliens to be departing soon and hope to begin anew on the exercise challenge over the weekend and next week. Congrats to all of you who did a great job on the exercise challenge this week.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:10

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula
Week One Goals:
  • Friday - Monday - Wednesday - Friday == BFL Weight Training ACHIEVED
  • Saturday - Tuesday - Thursday == BFL Cardio HIITACHIEVED
  • Lose 3 lbsACHIEVED
  • Injury Prevention: Do not overextend while lifting; Use spotter for final set (to failure); stretch before and after each workout ACHIEVED
  • Do not kick myself if I cannot exercise first thing in the morning, but make sure that it gets done that day ACHIEVED

Week One Starting Weight: 389.6
Week Two Starting Weight: 380.4
Pounds Lost: 9.2 lbs

Week 2 Goals
  • Friday - Monday + Friday == BFL Weight Training
  • Saturday + Tuesday + Wednesday + Thursday == BFL Cardio HIIT
  • Lose 3 lbs
  • Do not kick myself if I cannot exercise first thing in the morning, but make sure that it gets done that day

Last edited by Nebula : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 08:13.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

MisterE glad you survived that awful caffeine withdrawl and all the fish you don't enjoy eating.

So running around the house counts as exercise. i'll have to remember that. Wonder how muchfitday will give me for that.

I did all my planned workouts and stayed true to WOE.
I did fail to meet the keeping safe clause. I walked off the side of the treadmill while watching the football game. That was a scary moment but all that upper body work I've been doing came to the recue as I grabbed the hand rails , held myself upright and walked back on the moving treadmill. My hammie on the leg that went over the edge was a little tight and sore and I bruised the palm of my hand , but since the next day was an off day I survived just fine and had no trouble doing the HIIT or cardio the rest of the week. I will make sure from now on the treadmill is directly in front of the treadmill so I won't have my head turned while treadmilling.

Last edited by Atkins4myW : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 08:21.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:58
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile And here we go!

Week Two …

Studies consistently showed that active or fit men and women were protected against the health risks of overweight or obesity. The authors concluded that "…active obese individuals actually have lower morbidity and mortality than normal weight individuals who are sedentary."
The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports

Goals
Make goals for what you will accomplish this week. Be realistic, make them attainable. Challenge yourself, but don’t set yourself up for failure by promising more than you know you can do.

~ Remember to prevent injury during your workout; warm up, cool down, stretch, use the right equipment, etc.

~ Are you going to maintain this level of activity? If not, can you take a small step towards increasing duration or intensity this week?

~ Consider adding a different health related goal …

Extra Credit
This weeks question:

Describe your favorite exercise and why you like it.

Example...
(1) I like running because it's easy--I can do it anywhere and all I need is a pair of shoes.
(2) I like the fresh air.
(3) I always feel good about myself when I finish a good run.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 10:47

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Hey! I am all moved and I really want to take this challenge seriously... I am starting from zero at this time and dont know how to do my current workout with these darned hardwood floors! lol

My goal for today will be to take my daughter for a walk while my son is in school... I will be gone all day tomorrow then Sunday I will put more effort and thought into my goals!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 10:57
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

My favorite exercise is my Body by Jake Total Trainer. I have had it for 10+ years...since they first came out. It is sturdy and supports my weight and it gives me a terrific upper body workout.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 10:58
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

I am super inspired! You guys are great ... Logging on this morning, I read through everyone's postings and felt a wonderful glow. I feel honored to be Challenging along side you wonderful folks. Thanks to you all for being a part of this thread and adding your energy!

Week One Review…
I will do my FAP workout 4+ times (Done Everyday, instead)
I will do squat sits 10+ each day (Done, 15 on M, W, F)
I will use strap on weights 4+ days (Done)
I will stretch before and after exercise (Done)

I have had a minor setback. After many weeks of doing low impact walk-aerobics, I’m suddenly having problems. The balls of my feet feel really bruised and my toes are swelling up post exercise. Now a smart person would say it’s time to get new shoes, but since I haven’t been wearing shoes all along, I’m curious as to why this would be happening now. It could just be my funny type of arthritis, but I’m going to have to break down and just buy a pair of sneakers to help cushion my feet and see if that’ll help.

Anyone have a similar experience and can shed some light?

Week Two Goals...
Same as Week One since I don’t feel ready to commit to more right now.

Extra Credit
Describe your favorite exercise and why you like it.

I almost said swim, but my favorite exercise is just to flail around in the water. That doesn’t sound very poetic, but I feel so graceful and fluid, like a weightless ballerina. I can make my muscles work instead of joints and tendons, so I feel strong and powerful. When I win the 44 million dollar lottery this weekend, putting in a small pool will be high on my list of ‘things to do’!

You know, if I DO win, I’m taking all us Challengers on one of those Low Carb Cruises. Wouldn’t that just be fabulous??

Take care my friends! May your week be wonderful and filled with fitness ...

Lilly! Welcome to the Challenge and Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I’m so pleased you’re here and look forward to hearing about your journey ... (You and Lisa (Stardust) may have to start a pregnancy sub-thread for the TDC Fitness Challenge!)

Cara ~ Our honorary escapee from the rubber room! I’m so glad you joined us again ... It’s not just the woman at Curves, I’m encouraged by your presence, too!

Barry ~ Jeez Louise!! 3” off your waist in 9 days?!! That is amazing. Your progress is totally inspiring. You Go, Dude!!

Atkins4myW ~ I’m glad you’re okay! Having a treadmill throw you can be really dangerous, especially when you’re going at a good clip. Thanks for passing on the flax info. I make a spice muffin with flax ... I’m going to make them savory instead of sweet and add some celery / onions, more later when I mix with broth. What do you think? BTW, do you have an idea of how much Omega3 is in flax meal?

Jude ~ Happy Holidays! Sounds like you’ve done a great job combining home life and fitness. I hope you’re feeling psyched for the season ...

Marty ~ My Goodness, you are doing so well!! That’s some serious activity you reported in on. I notice you walked 3.4 miles before breakfast on Saturday and had some sore feet and knee twinges. On the days where that same mileage is walked (like Sunday and Tuesday), but at two different times, do you notice less pain? I did last summer. The only way I could add more time and distance was by breaking my workouts into two times per day. Eventually I’ve gotten strong enough to triple the time I’m able to stay on my feet. I bet the same will be true for you, too.

Lisa ~ Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I’m so glad you’re with us, doubly glad you’re going to take it easy so you’ll have a healthy year.

{{MisterE}} ~ Not everyone knows the joys of leaving pain meds behind, but I do. I was taking 60 mg of Oxycontin daily for almost 3 years when I quit last December. I worried a bit about whether I’d ever lift my head off the pillow again, but it’s been such a blessing. I’m sending my best wishes that your leg will not give you a whole lot of trouble during this period of adjustment and that Santa’s gonna bring you everything you’re hoping for!

Julie ~ Oh No! Another Challenger beamed away! Great job staying cheat free while under super stress, however!