Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 14:29
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%
Default sick of hearing "it's just water weight!!!"

I work with some Adkins non believers, hey that's ok, but just because I'm excited that I"ve lost 4.5lbs in 2 days--don't burst my bubble with "It's just water weight." I'll take 5 lbs off the scale no matter what type of weight it is.

Just wondering if anyone knows on average how much water weight you loose before it really is fat leaving and not just water?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

When your body changes over from burning carbs to burning fat, it lets go of the excess water it has been storing. By the end of two weeks, or if any Induction side effects are over, the metabolism is probably switched over and you are now burning fat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:22

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

Once you start losing inches (you must measure yourself as well) then you'll know you're losing fat and not water.

Just stick with it and keep losing.

Pretty soon the inches are going to be noticeable and then they're going to KNOW it's not water weight.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:24

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

I believe the average person stores about 1-2 pounds of glycogen and with that about 3-6 pounds of water. It should all be depleated by the end of your first week of LC eating and everything after that is fat.

When people who don't know me very well tell me that all you lose on Atkins is water, it usually shuts them up when I say, "Wow! I must have been carrying around an extra 65 pounds of water."
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:30

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

Great Come Back!!! And Good For You!!! I can't imagine that all of the 18 pounds I've lost is all water........and I CAN"T WAIT to bump that number up to 65!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 18:23
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

Water or not...it is WEIGHT coming off!

Two weeks from your start date you will be burning fat like crazy!! I am in cosmetology school a bunch of us are doing the Atkins WOE. I've seen a particular friend lose her double chin within 3 weeks. Trust me, you will have the last laugh with your co-workers.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I am proud to say I have myself dropped 20 pounds of pure WATER!!!!
They don't know. Just smile and shrug. Some people will argue about anything. Mostly it comes from lack of knowledge. (the minority just like to fight)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:00

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Believe it or not but the body can store a lot of water. Of course it's always encouraging to see the scale number going down, even if it's just water Feel free to feel good about your weight loss! I usually look awful bloated so I welcome a few lbs of water loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:29

Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

Congrats!! A pound is a pound is a pound....LOL, If I lose a pound it's great! Don't care if it is water weight or fat weight!! To me it's one pound closer to my goal no matter which form it comes in.

Definetly measure yourself though, no matter what people say inches don't lie, nor can they say it was just the measuring tape that day. I didn't start measuring myself until after the first couple of weeks. Oh dear, how I wish I would have now!

Lilbug
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 00:15

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I believe in the book it says that after 5-7 days on the diet you're definitely burning fat because you've depleted all the glycogen stores. I know that before eating LC I was always bloated. I couldn't even get my wedding ring off. Now my ring is contantly turning around my finger because I've lost all my bloat. It's great! Don't worry, you're burning fat and losing water. No matter what the loss, you're getting SMALLER!! Woohoo!