Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Few Forum Moderators on Atkins?

It seems as though very few of the forum founders or moderators list Atkins as their diet plan, although the forum as a whole is dominated by a pro-Atkins spirit. Am I wrong? Do people begin with Atkins then switch to something else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 10:39

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

As each of us (admin and moderators included) becomes more focused on LCing and healthy living, it's likely that we'll explore many LC programs in order to better educate ourselves and to find the WOE that works best for us.

As for admin and moderators specifically, I think it helps us to explore as many programs as possible in order to best be of help to others in this forum as well.

P.S. I follow Atkins!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 10:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Do people begin with Atkins then switch to something else?
When this forum was founded three years ago, it was opened as a low-carb forum. As time went on, different forums were opened for different plans. At the time, low-carbers were a strangely regarded group. We were on the fringe of what was considered "normal" but as you can see, that perception is changing.

Atkins name is almost synonymous with low-carbing and any press generated surrounding low-carbing usually mentions Atkins. Proof positive that advertising does work and the reason why IMHO that there are so many Atkins followers. Almost anyone can say that they are following Atkins without knowing much about it which is probably why it gets such a bad rap as in the myth of not eating any vegetables and chugging back pounds of bacon.

In the long term, whatever plan anyone follows - like PP and Atkins - becomes moot. Once you have the basics down and low-carb for a long time, you tend to tweak the plan to suit your needs.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 10:55.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't think the whole forum is Atkins centered either. The Atkins section though is by far the busiest with the most frequent posters. It's natural that much of the moderators time would be focused on the most active area.

Also that seems to be where alot od people new to low carbing start. As Karen said alot of that has to do with advertising. Some though, either through this bored or other sources, learn that there are different plans out there and different ways of doing things.

I think most who have followed LC for years, such as our moderators, don't follow any specific plan strictly unless they are trying to "detox" or "get back on track". After so long of living LC they know what works best for his/her body and have made a diet plan of his/her own.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:12
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm on Atkins. I have been really busy with my job and family lately and haven't been posting as much as I used to.

I think that if you are going to read any other low carb plan book, you should read Protein Power because of it's details and science. I've read lots of books and think Protein Power is the best read, but Atkins fits me better because of its simplicity. It's nice to have all the tools and information at your hands though.

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 15:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Once you have the basics down and low-carb for a long time, you tend to tweak the plan to suit your needs.

Thats the beauty of having all of them here, keeps you interested and imformed.

Cheers Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

I'm on Atkins, too.

I originally started with Atkins because it was the only one I'd ever heard of. I have now read many of the other plans, but Atkins still suits me best.

I think our forum is proudly low carb, high fat (not necessarily just Atkins) because this has been proven to be the healthiest WOL. And I also think many folk are like me in starting with Atkins - because it is the plan that is most well known.

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Protein Power was the first book I read, and technically that's what I follow, but I know the Atkins plan inside and out... and I did attempt induction once. It was partially because I needed to clean up my carb creep, and partially so my unsolicited advice about the Atkins plan would hold a little more weight.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 16:32.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 18:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I did Atkins and also tried CAD first before I tried Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution plan. I had a different focus the first time (weight loss), but the second time I needed a plan that was specifically geared towards diabetics such as the one I follow now. Having said that, I do use principles of both in my daily low carb life. I've also read Protein Power, Atkins For Life, and The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet but a combination of Bernstein/Atkins seems to work best for me right now.
I think some people do start out with Atkins because it is the most well known of the low carb plans, but as they read and learn more sometimes find that another plan suits them better.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:18

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have been on Atkins for much of the last 5 years. In fact, I did it back in the 1970's and lost a bunch. Wish I'd stayed on it and then I wouldn't have regained.

I have read Protein Power and a couple of others. I did try CAD but it didn't seem to be a good plan for me - too many cravings and actual weight gain.

So I am still Atkins too.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:42
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quest: This was an interesting question to post. And I do appreciate so many responses from the moderators. My husband has a habit of (rather proudly) announcing to innocent listeners, that I am on the Atkins diet. I wish he wouldn't, as I think it is so universally misunderstood as being the bacon and egg and steak and cheese diet.

I can no longer afford steak at its current price. We eat mostly chicken and pork and some seafood, along with salads and vegetables, of course. But when he says "Atkins", no one thinks of the vegetables.

So, yes, I am on Atkins (not a moderator), but prefer to simply say "Low carbohydrate", or "no sugar, no starch" diet.

Sorry to butt in here,

Kay
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 23:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
So, yes, I am on Atkins (not a moderator), but prefer to simply say "Low carbohydrate", or "no sugar, no starch" diet.

Sorry to butt in here,
I say the same thing as you TarHeel. I almost never refer to my specific plan and just say that it is low-carbohydrate. When people screech Atkins? at me I say "I started low-carbing with Protein Power" and give a knowing nod. That's one of the reasons I like it. It's mysterious to most people and I'm just a rebel at heart.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 08:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I did the original Atkins back in the mid-70s .. lost a lot of weight and kept it off till I went to college and nursing .. and the fear of fat was drilled into my head I always remembered Atkins though, even through the decades of low fat, low calorie dieting that followed. I bought the Protein Power book in 1999 because I wanted to read another view besides Atkins which would help convince me that lowcarb was the way to go permanently.

Like the others, I've since bought many of the other lowcarb books that've been published (including DANDR and Atkins for Life), and I've tried the programs for a few weeks to see if they fit. I know my profile states "Protein Power", but really it's an amalgamation that I've found works for me ... from Atkins, PP and Thin for Good. All 3 have their similiarities, but I do try to focus on the PP principles of - ensuring adequate protein, and spreading the protein and carb allotment evenly throughout the day.

As for what I tell non-LC inquisitors ... I'm with TarHeel on that one. I just say I don't eat sugars or starches. Period.

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 12:41

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I sometimes just say I stay away from all the white stuff! It works well too.

I've been asked to speak about Low carb eating at a weight loss group locally here, but I'm not suppose to name anyone Diet plan. That should be easy for me.

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:26
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think most people jsut thorw out the word Atkins to mean low carb. Just say people use Band Aid or Q-tip instead of calling it what it really is...adhesive bandage and cotton swab.