Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 17:06
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation In the market for a treadmill

I am in the market for a treadmill. I use to workout at a gym on a daily basis, but since we moved to the middle of NO WHERE, I haven't been back to a gym. THe closest gym is 45-50 minutes away.

Does anyone have a treadmill at home? Do you like it? Any input would be great thanks!

PatchLady
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 17:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love mine. It's a SteelFlex 6600. You should be able to find some great buyer's guides on the net if you're in the market. They'll help you decide on what features you need most.

Here's a couple you might find useful:
http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,...te=RunnersWorld
http://www.trainersecrets.com/tread...uyers_guide.htm

Wanda

--edit--
is that you, Kelly?

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Nov-30-03 at 18:52.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%

I did some research on this very topic for my Christmas list...and the winner was:

PaceMaster ProElite

This is a very highly reviewed machine, built to last, with some nice features. In Canada at Fitness Depot, it retails for about $2300, although you can get most outlets to give you a bit more of a deal.

It's sure expensive, but I read so many things about how cheap treadmills just don't last and don't do what you need them to, that I decided I'd rather get a good one I'd be happy with forever.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 15:41
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:

I have a treadmill on my christmas list this year. Not sure if I will get one. Then again, I am afraid I will get one and it won't be what I want.
I am not sure what I want. That is why I am trying to get as much information about treadmills, so I know what I want...make sense?
I have to agree that going cheap isn't the best thing. However, my pocketbook won't allow anything over $1000.00 right now. And I am sure anyone who would get me a treadmill for christmas will NOT spend that much on a gift for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%

I think it is more important to get a the best treadmill you can afford than to get no treadmill at all! So go out and spend your $1000...you can always upgrade later if you find you like treadmilling.

I find epinions.com to be a great place to research purchases. Check out the treadmills in your price range there and read the user reviews carefully.

Last edited by westernwil : Mon, Dec-01-03 at 16:01.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 16:34
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!

My opinion: If you have room for one the ones that don't fold up are cheaper. I just got one (lucked out and got it for nothing) older model but it doesn't fold up and takes up some space. Has miles per hour, miles walked, pulse, calories burned. I don't use calories burned but my girls do. Mainly you need how far you have gone and how fast. Thats my thoughts!! Good luck. I have only been on mine one week and can already tell a difference.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 00:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207.4/198.0/165 Male 64"
BF:39%/39%/29%
Progress: 22%
Default Looking For A Good Treadmill..

Here's a link for the treadmill I use:

http://www.sportsgearpx.com/treadmills/tr4531.htm

It does everything I need it to do. Check out the specs on this one.

Dakota Duce
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 21:01

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

What are the most important aspects of a treadmill?

I found a treadmill I like for $1899 Canadian, which will end up being just over $2000 with tax. It is on sale from $2600.

It has a 20x53 belt and 2.5 HP

OR

One with 2.7 HP with 20x57 belt, same price

The latter is a "better deal" but the former is a brand-new model and the cushioning on the pad is really really nice. I also like how it has a bar in front and a nice high display (I am short but I like high displays)

however, the other treadmill is probably better, isn't it? They're both by the same company which makes it even more difficult to choose.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I have a TRUE 525 and as far as I can find out it's one of the best if not the best. If you go too cheap on one of these you will likely regret it. This is another case for buying quality not quantity.
The gadgets attached are fine but it's more important to go for a good sized strong motor.
Mine has an incline feature and I'm glad it does.
I've had several fitness machines from bikes to Nordic Tracks and my treadmill has been the best choice. I've stuck to using it for a couple of years now.
I would also say not to buy one if it's not at a discount. These things are expensive and they have some mark up to work with. Mine was regularly $4999Cdn and we bought it for something like $3700Cdn. I could likely get a large proportion of it back if I wanted to sell it now. I've seen these used in shops at $3000. In other words the cost of owning this machine is the same as a cheap one in the end!
Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 14:09

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%
Default Treadmill funny

A friend knew I like to run and offered me her treadmill for free. I brought it home and set it up. It look smaller then the ones at the gym. My niece (all 115 lbs of her) who lives with us was the 1st to use it and she enjoyed a good half hour workout. The next morning I asked my wife to set the alarm an hour early as I wanted to run on the treadmill.

I got up did my stretching stood on the side rails and started it up. As soon as my feet hit the tread it stopped moving. I stood on the rails and the tread started moving again. Back and forth ..

I told my neice this when she got up and went to work.

Came home that night... and there with big smiles on their faces were my wife and niece.

My wife asked how was the treadmill? I told her it stopped working when I ran on it.. She said "when exactly did it stop moving" . I said everytime my feet hit the Tread --- AH! They were being "B" busters!!!

I guess I deserve it because usually I'm the one who does that to everyone else in the family.

Moral - Buy a GOOD treadmill.