Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:16

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question What will I notice when I start?

I started Atkins about a month ago, and so far I’ve lost nearly 20 pounds. I haven’t yet started exercising, though. (Bad, I know.) I do have a semi-formed plan, which is to start out walking daily and ramp it up for a month or two until I think I can handle my chosen workout, which is the Escape Your Shape workout. (I’m definitely a spoon and would like to modify my body shape as well as getting healthier overall.) I already feel a lot healthier from the diet alone, and I notice I’m feeling like I want to exercise, like being sedentary is making me a little nuts. So … I have two questions.

1. Does this sound like a good plan?

2. As a currently sedentary person, what benefits can I expect from my exercise?

Last edited by FrecklFluf : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 11:37.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%

Great progress!!

Your plan sounds good. Start walking, and as you feel able, add in some hills, push the pace and/or length of time you are out there. Wear really good, properly fitted trainers if you can.

I would also start a program of strength training 2-3 times a week. A great video is the inexpensive "Shaping Up with Weights for Dummies" video. Requires dumbbells...good idea to get a set including at least 3, 5, and 10 lb. weights. Three lb. doesn't sound like much till you have to do shoulder presses...

Once the strength training is feeling good, add in a brief cardio workout (ie. the 8 minute Tae Bo tape, or dancing energetically) just before you do your weights...that way you go into the lifting part with your heart rate already up, and if you move the weights along at a good rate, you can keep that heart rate up. If, as you go along, you want more challenge, add cardio bits between moves ie. hop on a stationary bike between moves for 5 minute hill workouts.

If you like video workouts, the Dummies ones are all good, and I like Richard Simmons as well.

Remember that as you push up the activity level, you may need more carbs in your food plan.

Benefits?
1. probably accelerated fat loss
2. building that metabolically hungry muscle mass
3. improvement in bone density
4. the good feeling that comes with doing good things for yourself
5. more strength and endurance
6. most of us find exercise is a huge mood brightener...makes you feel strong, capable, relaxed, energetic powerful and positive
7. most of us find exercise lessens cravings for junky food
8. regular exercise confers many health benefits...usually reduced blood pressure, improved cholesterol profile, stronger cardio/vascular system, injury proofing
9. expending calories via exercise allows you flexibility in your menu choices

Last edited by westernwil : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 12:02.