Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 20:44

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 194/176/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

Hi....I am sorry I don't know how to post, meaning all by itself, not replying. So I think this is sort of in the wrong thread but valuable none the less. Super centers sell Carb sense milk. 3 grams of carbs for CUP of milk and it tastes really really close to real milk. Anyway I tried an awesome idea and I love it. I bought the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch, and used the mix, the low carb milk and mayo and made AWESOME ranch dressing. My kids LOVE it, ages 3,8,9,10,11,13,13, and 14. They are not LCarbers. I figured it out and it's 3 carbs for the whole batch!!! I am so happy Feel free to put this where ever it will fit, sorry that this isnt the perfect spot. AND can someone tell me to to post without replying???? Thanks! Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 21:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279.6/273/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi bvtaylor

Next time you are in Walmart (almost everyday for me) check out the chocolate syrup isle....its not Hersheys, but Walmarts brand, Great Value, has made a sugar free chocolate syrup sweetened with splenda. It is a little bitter but tastes great in milk, or OMG on Bryers Carbsmart ice cream!!

Mary B
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 12:42

Plan: lc plan
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 0'0
BF:
Progress: 86%

another great syrup is Walden Farms chocolate. 0 cabrs, 0 sugar. it's delicious mixed into heavy cream
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

8??? kids????wow! that's amazing. new thread is the button to begin a new topic, not just a reply!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 20:21

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 194/176/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

LOL Yes, it sucks to be me....my kids' ages are 3,8,9,10,11,13,13, and 14. The last four are GIRLS, Yes it REALLY sucks to be me!! The 8 year old is also a girl and the rest are boys. Not due to any religous beliefs, or non belief in birth control, just sort of happened. Yes, my tubes are now tied and my husband is not allowed to touch me or even think about it I think of the increments in weight lost as 'oh, now I have his baby weight off, on to the next one' lol
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 20:48

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

wow! you are a better woman than me lol i appauld you!

as for walmart... i love the store.. especially for a young college student living on a budget its PERFECT
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 11:33
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Hood Carb Countdown - Chocolate Milk

Just a quick note that I sampled the Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage Chocolate milk style from Wal-Mart, and it was fabulous.

For only 3 net carbs (looks more like 2 if you subtract the fiber), it's about as close to chocolate milk as you can get--lots and lots of flavor.

Only 100 calories per glass, loads of protein, just delicious.

Our super Wal-Mart keeps running out of the Atkins ice cream bars as well as the Morning Start Apple Crisp bars as well as the Atkins faux snickers bars. I did see that they are starting to change over their diabetic food aisle to include a lot more low carb items.

Our Vitamin Cottage carries some wonderful dried instant soups--got addicted to those, as they are all very good so far. Broccoli cheese chicken mushroom shrimp bisque woo-hoo! The only downside is that they are around $2 each.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 13:07

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

BabyDoll have you seen the frozen dinners in our Super Center? I was there (Commerce City) the other day and couldn't find them at all!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 21:03

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

bvtaylor,
Just wanted to let you know that (on your recommendation) I tried the Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage Chocolate milk today. All I can say is"YUUMMM". Thanks for the recommendation. Do I maybe see a mini chocolate shake in my future. Indulge Ice Cream and this product. Would be quite a treat! Blessings, Karen
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 11:40
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default So glad you liked it!

Hi, Karen. I was glad that I'm not the only one who thinks the Hood Carb Countdown Chocolate milk is yummy! All of us have different tastes and tolerance levels for faux milk beverages, but I will say that my two little boys love this chocolate faux milk and are asking for it at breakfast in the morning.

In fact I used the Wal-Mart Great Value sugar-free syrup (2 g net carbs) per MaryB's recommendation (thank you, MaryB!) in milk and had them drink it, which was okay, but they preferred the Hood product. I agree that it has a little bit of a bitter aftertaste, but not bad and priced well. I do think that the GV chocolate syrup will be great on lc ice cream, particularly.

My boys are actually extremely picky eaters, so I was very pleased because the Hood stuff is so nutritious with the extra protein and vitamins.

BTW, the Hood people are very friendly and will respond to your emails. I wrote to them thanking them for their excellent products.

My little guys are both ADHD, and I've found that a good breakfast with some solid protein gives enough balance for toast with jelly or waffles with syrup or half a regular bagel (they don't mind the sugar free Log Cabin on their waffles or pancakes). I try to get them to eat at least 1 egg for breakfast. I've also switched the kids to Iron Kids Honey Wheat bread (at Wal-Mart and Safeway)which has more fiber and vitamins than most bread and fewer net carbs, but is very soft. I also use Smuckers Low Sugar jelly (Wal-Mart and Safeway). It still has sugar but less than regular jelly, and no taste difference. The kids like it and don't complain. They also like the natural peanut butter (I buy it at WalMart in the big container) with no complaints.

This simple dietary change has helped them to be better-behaved in school, and I've noticed a slight body composition change--more muscular and less tummy on both boys. Neither kids are fat, both are active, but my older son was starting to develop a tummy (He was a big cracker and starchy food eater), and with both parents having a weight problem, and Dad with T2 diabetes, I was worrying a bit. I think that balancing out meals with more protein, particularly cheese and nuts, has been very helpful in optimizing both boys' health. When they want crackers, I encourage ones with cheese or peanut butter, and I try to limit the candy and french fries although I don't forbid it. I'm also sure to give them a multivitamin every day--Sam's club has a decent fruit-flavored chewable that is inexpensive.

I think that as a whole the missing nutritional piece in most diets is adequate protein.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 07:46
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258/125 Female 61 inches
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandria72
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Target did not buy sweatshop products. Maybe that was a bunch of fluff - I don't know. Do you guys have any info on Target? A large percentage of products that are available at Walmart are also available at Target. That's where I buy most of my essentials. Walmart just isn't the same.

You are correct.

I am hoping they will step in line soon and get low carb products at the Super Targets.

I haven't shopped at a Wal-mart in a long time and don't plan on going back.

BTW....Kroger has a wide varity of low carb foods also.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 09:38
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvtaylor
Just a quick note that I sampled the Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage Chocolate milk style from Wal-Mart, and it was fabulous.

My local Winn Dixie also sells the Hood Carb Countdown dairy beverages. I like to heat a cup of the chocolate in my microwave to make hot cocoa.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 19:26

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Am I the only one who thinks Target and Kmart suck?
I have tried shopping at both and just can't find anything I want. My Super Center has everything I want and now they are like a low carb mega center!
Why leave town and force myself to shop somewhere I hate?
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 20:08
Registered Member

Stats: 216.4/188/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have worked at Wal-Mart. They pay the lowest wages allowable by law. The corporate culture is the same you would find in any "third-world" country (I hate that term, what are we "first world" and does that somehow make us better?)

Don't even dream about joining a union if you work there because you will become a pariah if you even contemplate it. They warn you when union people are 2 days away from the store and use all their powers of persuasion to get you to not go to listen to their spiel.

Overtime is a joke...if you work over your 40 hours a week, mark my words, it will not be on the clock and the reason why it won't be on the clock is because you were told not to put it on the clock and you didn't because you knew better!

Believe me, you wouldn't curse your worse enemy to work at Wal-Mart....
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: Stay same eat healthier
Stats: 118/118/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy
I guess if we want to get technical we would not shop at a lot of places because in way or another they are hurting the American family by taking jobs over seas or to Mexico for cheap labor. Just a thought,

Windy

I AGREE! And IMO there is no need to Walmart bash as I am sure every LARGE business is guilty of one thing or the next.

I commend them and many other places for seeing that Low Carb is not just a fad diet and doing what they can to help people get what they need and want!