Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 248/245/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Question Still within 20 gr. carbs, added sunflower seeds...out of Ketosis??

Just finished 2 wks. of Induction, decided to add 1/4 c. sunflower seeds yesterday, and I stayed within 20 gr. of carbs...guess what?? I was at the bottom color on ketostix bottle, whereas yesterday I was in the middle range.
Question: When adding carbs (slightly), do most people stay in ketosis?
I didn't lose more than 2 lbs. during Induction. Had about 2,000 calories per day, found article saying this was OK by doing math for ideal body weight.
Getting discouraged. Ready to try Somersize.
Question: Do you stay in Ketosis with Somersize or doesn't it matter? Help, please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 09:53
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Try not to get to involved with the reading on the sticks. You can get different reading for many different reasons. Staying within the 20 carbs, I can see no reason that you would have been knocked out. You will come to learn soon enought that the sticks are not the be all end all way to tell if you are in ketosis. You may find if you test yourself tonight you will get a reading. That is a good way to tell if you were kicked out of ketosis. Once kicked out it take 3 days to get a reading back.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

The color on the sticks basically measures concentration of ketones in your urine. So it's pretty obvious that there are lots of ways for that to fluctuate. You could have drunk more water or eaten foods that have more water in them, your level of physical activity could have dipped, your body could be hanging on to the ketones for reasons it will not disclose, etc. etc. I use the sticks as a "yes/no" kind of thing, not for the gradations of color. Hang in there!

ps -- Sunflower seeds are actually pretty carby for nuts; I'd recommend switching to almonds or macadamia nuts if you're worried.

Holly
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 11:39
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I added a tbsp of all natural peanut butter twice last week.

The same thing with the ketosticks it want all the way down and in the evening it even showed as not in ketosis (after TONS of water) but also it made me have bad sugar cravings so no more PB for me.

Next morning I was low but now I am back up in the mornings. I try not to get too hung up on it.