Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 05:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question Too MUCH fat? What's your fat % on OWL?

Hi-

I've been having a major slow down in the loss department and have been going over many different things to try to isolate the problem. I'm not eating any of the typical foods that are stallers. I use Fitday I know my BMI and all that other stuff (I'm really analytical and into numbers!). I drink my water and do everything else you are supposed to do.

I started out this WOE eating 80% plus fat. I was loosing like crazy and then slowed down. After that, I moved to the typical 25% protein, 5% carb and 70% fat breakdown and began loosing again (yes, I was loosing slower than before but that's expected). Everything was going along fine and then I hit a dry spell. I did not loose anything for about 4 weeks, lost a couple after that and then nothing again for about 3. I'm not loosing ANY inches either to spite the little bit of weight loss. I don't have the same strong indicators of ketosis like I used to either (namely the breath).

I consider myself on OWL and average about 20-25 carbs per day. I'm also hitting my BMI in cals-- not always too much over but I try! I stick to induction foods for the most part but do add in nuts and perhaps 1-2 slices LC bread per week (at most). I was eating those foods when I was losing so I don't think they are the culprits. I also do drink coffee but have since the beginning with NO problems. I'm going to try half decalf/half regular but I really don't think that is the problem. I don't do any "frankenfoods." I also take a ton of supplements.

I'm wondering if lowering my fat to around 60-65% may help. Has anyone found that on OWL (with still relatively low carb levels) that they lost better on slightly lower fat? It's funny, I see all these posts where people have major problems getting the fats up. It's a struggle for me to get them down to the 70% average range. If I'm not strictly watching what I eat, I naturally default to around 80%.

Any suggestions? Also any suggestions to what I can eat that is lower in fat but high in cals? If I get my fats lower it's relay hard for me to keep my cals up. I don't have enough room left in my stomach or hours in the day to consume enough extra veggies to make that much of an impact in the calorie department.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Even when I was at around 50g net a day my fat grams were about 53%. One reason is because 1g carb only has around 4 calories while a fat gram has 9. Therefore it takes more then 2 carbs to make up the calories in 1g fat (scary when youthink of those carb loaded FF things with same calorie amounts.)

Be careful though you don't start eating high carb and high fat, the typical American Diet. If you are only having 20-25g net carbs a day, and you are making sure they are low GI carbs so you don't have an insulin reaction, then higher fat is fine. You need the energy from somewhere and since no carbs, it's fat. Just don't start eatinghigh GI or higher carb without adjusting your fat lower.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:44
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I dont really have much in the way of advice to help you. Only to let you know I have recently gone through the same thing. I seemed pretty much all summer I stayed the same. Then finally things started moving again in late September. I think that for some reason this just happens. I did my best to just stay away from the scale so I would not have to look at the numbers bouncing around in the same area all the time.

Is it sad to say I accepted the stall? But that is pretty much what I did. Oh, I check with the stupid strips to make sure I was in ketosis. Which I was, this was the only thing that made me feel somewhat better.

Then finally, after along wait, things started to work again. So I really don't think there is any magic answer other than giving it the time that is needed. As much as that stinks, and it does. I have gotten so sick of it all that I even stopped tracking everything on fitday. Some how that seem to make it worst when it seemed like I was doing everything right and nothing to show for it.

I still dont use fitday anymore, no I just live my day one day at a time. Keeping in mind that this is a lifetime thing. One that I am happy to say in now second nature to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's funny, but Atkins is one of the more extream at lowering carbs, and I think those of us on this WOL get a bit of a biased view on what is low carb.

I was reading through a LC cookbook, and most of the reicpes were around 20-30 net carbs. I was rolling my eyes and grumbling how that wasn't really "low carb". Then I started thinking. Compaired to the hundreds of empty carbs a typical American eats at every meal those recipes were very low carb. They just weren't the extream I was used to looking for in recipes.

Sorry I know it's off topic. Just you talking how 20-25 net carbs is higher carb (I know it's over the initial 20) made me think of how we look at carbs differently now You think the Zone people or CAD guys are laughing at us? *peers at thier forums suspiciously*
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 08:04

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sunspine,

I think there are several reasons you might be experiencing a slower rate of weight loss.

First, you've lost quite a bit of weight; and, as we have less to lose, the less our basal calorie needs are, so naturally, given the same calorie intake, we burn less.

Secondly, I presume you've kept your calorie intake steady, correct? Which means now since your body mass is less and your corresponding calorie requirements are also less, it naturally must follow that you lose both less and at a slower rate, until eventually you hit equilibrium at your present calorie intake consumption where you neither gain or lose.

Finally, to continue weight loss once at equilibrium on your present calorie intake level, one of two things must happen. Either you lower your calorie intake (lowering carbs further from 25 grams/day, in my view, would not be effective), or you increase calorie burning through physical activity. Or, a combination of both if you covet "faster" weight loss.

In my view, it really is that simple. That's the good thing.

Also, I think you'll find that as you progress through OWL increasing your carb grams, you'll find that your fat % will naturally decrease to around 50 %, until eventually it settles to around 40 - 50 %. At least, that's what I've found for me.

Oh, and Ladybelle, you're right, those of us who started on Atkins have a really skewed view of what defines "low carb," which is probably explains why many attacher the "fanatical" or "cult" monicker to those of us who follows or have followed the plan. In the mainstream, anything around 100 carbs/day would be considered "low carb" and some even consider under 150 grams pretty low carb. Remember, what is it "they" recommend as a healthy carb intake level? something astronomical like 400 grams/day? LOL

Anyway, if you consume 100 carbs per day, even if one has an inactive lifestyle, you'll burn those very easily.

Regards,

Frederick
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 08:48

BF:

Thanks for all your replies. I'm actually super anal about my numbers. I've been watching my BMI lower as I get smaller and have adjusted for that. For a while there I was eating the same levels every day (I eat the same things -- I'm boring!). I've been doing a lot of reading about refeeds and leptin and am quite fascinated with it. I do believe for me that a refeed would work based on my past experiences with other WOE's, This time around I think I'm too chicken to try it though!

As an alternative I've been looking into the principle of caloric staggering (without incorporating an all-out refeed day). I've making an attempt (mind you I said ATTEMPT!) to try it out for the last couple of weeks. I'm averaging around my BMI in cals (a tad over 1500), 71 or 72% fat and about 25 carbs for the week but on any given day I could go well over 2000 cals and 30-35 carbs or as low as 1000 cals and 16 or so carbs. I don't go for more than 2 days straight on the low side so my body won't go into starvation mode. I also stick with the low GI carbs only. I'm wondering if keeping my body guessing a bit will help it not want to hold on to everything. Perhaps, it's starting to work -- who knows? I'm down a pound this morning.

I do agree exercise makes a BIG difference, especially at this stage. I do admit to slipping every once an a while on that. My main form of exercise is LONG brisk walks. I've been trying to keep up with that lately also.

I'm also approaching the weight I've been most of my adult life so I knew this stage would be quite a challenge to get past. Perhaps this is just what my body wants to do and I need to wait it out? I understand we loose much slower as we get smaller, perhaps it's just the consistency that I miss. No loss in inches or pounds in a month straight is a discouraging but maybe it's what my body needs to go through no matter what I try to help me get moving again.

Unfortunately, I'm and exact science, number crunching, give me the facts type of gal (too many years in finance and systems I guess!). I'm really process oriented an I always need an answer for everything. I'm driven to make things WORK. Maybe this is something that is not that simple and it's just something I HAVE to wait out. There is certainly a cause and effect relationship with weight loss but perhaps not to the degree that I'm trying to uncover. Regardless I still like tossing around theories and trying them out! Maybe it gives me motivation and keeps me from wallowing in my discouragement. Oh, the mental games we play with ourselves . . . . Anymore theories? Keep em' coming!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sun, Nov-23-03 at 08:51.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 09:48

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

Just a suggestion, since walking can sometimes stop working as a form of exercising, have you tried any resistance/weight training?

Maggie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:08

BF:

You know, I do have weights, etc. I unfortunately don't get to use them as much as I would like (not really at all lately and when I did use them way back when it was TOPS once per week). With the kids and work and my crazy life, I usually don't get to bed until past midnight-- I don't know where I'd fit in at home workouts. And I have to wait to workout until the kids are in bed. I've tried that before and my youngest thinks it's time to wrestle and just jumps on me!

I have been wracking my brain to figure out how and where I can work it in because I agree, it would help. The walking for me is easier because it serves a purpose. I just leave my car at home and walk to the train (about 2.5 miles round trip). It only takes me 10 more minutes than driving and hunting around for a parking spot.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:12

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

believe me I know what you mean abut time!

how about wear the weights?....ankles , arms,or wear a knap sack with them..start slowly with one idea. ;o)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:40

BF:

Good idea! You know, that thought had crossed my mind once and I meant to buy some. I don't know what happened but I totally forgot (my mind is on too many things!). Thanks for reminding me! I'll look for some hand/ankle weights when I'm out this weekend and add that to my walks. BTW, I do carry a 20-25 lb backpack when I walk -- does that count too? I guess even if it does count my body may be used to it so I'm going to have to step it up with something else regardless.