Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/128./115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Awful feeling in my stomach?

Has anyone else felt a "burning" sensation just below your rib cage? It feels like it's just where my stomach starts. I'm also bloated, just in that area...... Don't feel sick, but this "feeling" keeps me awake at night. It's almost like there is too much of something in there????? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:29
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Sounds somewhat like heartburn.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:37

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Try taking one of the over-the-counter acid reflux remedies for a few days. There are some that last for 9 hours. If that helps but it comes back when you stop the medicine, then do consult your doctor. It could be Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease which can be serious if not treated.

Other things to do: avoid spicy foods, don't eat too close to bedtime, elevate the head of your bed (put a piece of wood under the top feet) and sleep up on pillows. The acid can't flow up from the stomach.

Are you under stress right now? That can be part of it.

Search the net for information on GERD or acid reflux.

Your doctor is the best choice for a source of advice. Hope you feel better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:38
Registered Member

BF:

With the amount of water I drink, I don't understand how that could be. But, I am getting older and notice that somethings I use to hear complaints about are now happening to me. Is this a typical L/C complaint?
I'll look into what I can take, and see if that's the problem. Any suggestions, I don't picture Tums being L/C....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 07:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Is this a typical L/C complaint?

Many people report that GERD and heartburn get better on low carb. I know my DH has certainly seen a huge improvement in that area. Before low carb, Maalox and Pepcid were his best buddies. Now he never needs them unless he eats high carb for a day or two (like holidays).
Tums do have sugar in them, but you can try some of the over the counter (OTC) medications such as Pepcid, Zantac or Prilosec OTC. I believe of all of those, Pepcid is the fastest acting and any sugar or starch present in the capsules would be minimal.
Sometimes drinking a lot of water can stimulate excess acid production. How much water are you drinking? Other things that can irritate are caffeine, alcohol, carbonated beverages and many spices.
As Tofi advised, your best source of information regarding what's causing this and how best to treat it is your doctor, so do see them if this continues.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 08:05
Registered Member

BF:

Well I'll try something otc for the weekend. If you guys think it's a medical thing, I suppose I'll run up and see the Dr Monday.

I love this place, thanks for the help!!!!!