Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:33
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default I'm too stupid.........but is it true

that the Atkins Advantage meal bars are actually counted as only 2 carbs as they say on the foil package..................when the nutritional breakdown clearly shows 21 g of carbs?
I tried to follow the fine print about this but am hopelessly lost. It just doesn't make any sense since the fiber content does not appear to be a factor.
Is it true? I haven't had one yet but it seemed like a good idea to put a few in the glove box in my car for emergencies. BUT not at 21 carbs per bar..................
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Personally, that is the way I would look at it. Those extra carbs are from sugar alcohols. Every one reacts differently to SA's so I can't say for sure what they will do to you. For the most part though they tend to stall people when eaten on a regular basis. I would say as an "every once and a while" kind of thing, if you are stuck in a bind with nothing else to eat, they are better than nothing (or going off plan) in a pinch.

Be careful, they do start up cravings for some people too. I ate them for a while but I had to stop. I aimed for eating one a week but I started getting obsessed with them and couldn't resist when I had them in the house. Every time I ate one I got cravings and wanted more.

Some people though (it seems to me the minority) eat them on a pretty regular basis with no problems. YMMV-- you mileage may vary. It's a gamble . . . .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:47
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Arrow

Here are some articles I found helpful when trying to decide how to count sugar alcohols. This subject brings out may opinions and has been the topic of quite a few threads. The conclusion I have come to is that they affect everyone differently and you will have to decide for yourself how you will use them. Good luck!

http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/To...ot_to_Count.htm

http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LCG_LCdoublespeak.htm

http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/making_the_case.htm
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 18:48

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

The Atkins diet allows you to subtract the sugar alcohols from the total carb count, thus giving you the net carbs. As everyone has said before, they affect people differently so you will have to see how they work for you. For me personally, they trigger cravings and have a laxative effect.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 11:28
Renaissance Man

Default Hey thanks for the answers

especially the linked articles to read.
I guess the cynic in me should have kicked in sooner. It looks like the real answer is in one of the articles which basically notes that the reason for the discrepancy is corporate greed wins out again.
While Dr. Atkins cautioned against those sugars in his original book...it would have interfered with sales of many of the Atkins products in recent years if everyone followed his original advice and avoided them.
Hence the labelling nonsense about being able to subtract those carbs and make a 21 carb meal bar be only 2 carbs.
Yeah, and if I tape off the first thrid of the window on my scale I can probably lose a couple of hundred pounds just like that as well.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:17
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasert
Yeah, and if I tape off the first thrid of the window on my scale I can probably lose a couple of hundred pounds just like that as well.

Good Idea I like the way you think!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 21:18

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I eat about half an LC bar a day, and I haven't had any problems yet. They do cause cravings though, so if you're going to have them, be prepared and drink lots of water afterwards.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 11:01

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

I have one every day for breakfast and since I started eating them, I've lost faster than ever.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 13:50
Renaissance Man

Default meal bars

I'm sure they affect everyone differently and plan to just hold on to the ones I bought for emergencies. I was mainly trying to reconcile the two different bits of information on the same package.
It's curious how I've come to look closely at labels now and spend part of my time between meals mentally calculating (and looking at FitDay) to see what I can "squeeze" into my daily total at the next meal. I never gave two hoots about what I had eaten previously in a day, a week, or a month...........and just ate what I had a hankering for.
Might explain how I managed to weigh 302 in my doctor's office in March!!!!!!!! That, and the fact I had a major affinity for high fat content ice cream.