Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 22:31

Plan: atkins/proteinpower
Stats: 213/200/150
BF:HA!!!
Progress: 21%
Talking newbie in Jersey

HEY hey all! I'm a newbie here...originally from texas, relocated to jersey, and working in nyc!!

I've been reading alot about low carbing these days (and implementing alot into my lifestyle) and figuring out which diet is for me long term. It definately seems like the best choice for me...i'm just narrowing down the field.

I started this week just cutting out the obvious BAD choices i had been making (bread, pasta, rice.......etc), and so far, 3lbs lighter! so i think i'm doing SOMETHING right

Would be interested to know if anyone is in my area!! What diets are you guys doing? This site is GREAT! glad i found it in my search tonite! very informative ...and friendly

take care..and happy thanksgiving everyone!

LH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 10:50

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Hello Neighbor

Hi Latinhips,

I am about a half an hour away from you right over the NY/NJ line by Montvale.
I have been doing this just 3 weeks and really like it. It is frustrating at times, but I would rather get my but back in a decent bathing suit next summer than live like this another year. Life is too short to be hauling around all this excess weight.

I am pretty new to this but check in just about every other day. I will post on your thread when I do. Lets take this ride together over the next few months and give each other support. It is more fun and realistic that way.
I am following Atkins, what plan are you doing?

Kassy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:24

Talking HI KASSY

Glad to meetcha

I'm doing protein power...THOUGHT i would start with atkins, but the more I read of the protein power book, the more i decided that would be a better way to go. But the intial 2 weeks on protein power allow up to 40 g carbs and i'm trying to keep mine btwn 20-30.

I know what you mean...i have seen really good results so far...when i started just 'carb cutting' before i read all the books, I was weighing 213. For two weeks i've cut carbs and since this weekend i started tracking carb intake. (before i just didn't have bread, pasta, etc).

I'm down to 205 already! its awesome! i like that the results seem to be good...and from what i hear...ppl do continue seeing movement on the scale I'm eager to start going down in SIZES!!

BATHING SUIT?? i havent dared to get into one in ages! seriously...its been a couple of years SO HOPEFULLY this summer might be the summer i'm back !!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS WEATHER?? i'm probably speaking too soon but it sure has been great around here lately, huh?

Anyway...take care and thanks so much for posting! i look forward to learning more about you and sharing in your successes!! After we reach goal we can get together for a pool party hehehe

talk to you soon,
c
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/167/145
BF:who knows?
Progress: 60%
Default Finally...

Someone else from Jersey! I see it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread...I hope you two are still around!!!
I'm in Hunterdon County, NJ
We can have the pool party at my house... he he he.
I've been on atkins now for 35 weeks, and I'm down 32 pounds, 3 pant sizes, and oodles of inches gone - nearly 6 from my waist alone
I hope to see some new posts to this thread....I'll be looking for ya!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 17:57

oooh

hi! i'm in jersey city (am i repeating myself? i havent been here in ages...and didnt reread my old posts)

anyhoo...unfortunately i have NOT been doing well..originally lost almost 30lbs but been having a hrd time ever since the end of the summer!!! vacation, then new job, and now my best friend is in the hospital..it seems like its one thing after another...i've been making trips to texas to see him and to see my sister (just recently had a baby...i was there for the birth, then revisted her to help her out for a couple of weeks last month)...

so its been VERY slow going...

i need to find some motivation soon!!

anyhoo..congrats on your huge loss!!!!! that is amazin! so glad you have found success with atkins..i may need to try it...simple and easy...i did protein power before...liked it...but i think i need somethin fool proof!

anyway...glad to meetcha !
c

#6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 200/167/145
BF:who knows?
Progress: 60%
Talking

I'm glad to see a new post! Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time - but -- I've been there. Before Atkins, I lost and gained the same 50 pounds over and over. Atkins has been a God send for me. I lost it much quicker in the first 4 months...but I'm definately more in control of my eating now. I also exercise 5-6 days a week (Cardio and Weight lifting) I started this with a goal of 145 pounds. But since I've been lifting weights, the pounds are coming off as quickly as the inches are. (Not that I'm complaining!) I don't think I'll get down to 145...but I'm in a size 12 now...at 168 pounds. I'll be happy in a size 10...so maybe another 10-15 pounds would do it.

It's great to meet a fellow Jersey Girl. Congrats on being an Aunt...and sorry to hear that your friend is sick... Hope he/she gets better soon...You'll get back on track
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 07:20

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hello Latinhips and welcome to NJ. I was born in jersey city then in 81 moved to bayonne(just south of JC).three years ago I moved here in Newark NJ. There's a few healthfood stores and nutritional shops not far from you depending upon where you live in jersey city. if you are near the newport area you can go to "Hoboken Farmboy" on washington ave. in hoboken (obviosly) and if you live further south there's a good store in Bayonne on Broadway between 22nd & 23rd street called "Johns" I buy my Keto soy shakes there. I recommend going there if you want to make an afternoon out of it. there's alot of stores and resteraunts. let me know if you need more information on the neighborhood. i'm living in this area for 34 years and kind of know my way around. LOL
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:29

Default howdy!

we have a new one near here too...in edgewater. we went there last weekend and they have EVERYTHING THere! i love it! bought some brownies and dh got cheesecake! got lc bagels there too

i've been through bayonne a few times...lookin for a home dh and i don't have much so spend tho...hoping to find something inexpensive..maybe a fixerupper....but around this area its HARD

c
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 21:08

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs down

expensive it is . the closer to new york the more expensive it is.

they are building a new housing development in bayonne on rt. 440 north just north of the South Harmon Cove shopping plaza (stop and shop supermarket). check the pricing there
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:09
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hiya Jersey people

I am originally from the bronx recently moved to Fair Lawn.

Just nice to know more people around here.

btw ~tries to hide a shameless plug~ If anyone goes to the ballys in saddlebrook I am looking for a local LC gym buddy.

I seem to do much better when I go with someone else.

MJ