Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/214/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:lots
Progress: 33%
Default WARNING! LC ruby tuesdays

My husband and I went to ruby tuesdays over the weekend, and we discovered their farce marketing of lc menu items. The tortilla wraps they use, are not lc, in fact they are whole wheat ones, ie made out of wheat, making them not atkins friendly at all.... then we ordered the cheesecake which they claim is lc. IT IS NOT LC in the least bit. The cheesecake is made with sugar. We ordered the cheesecake and when the waitress brought it to our table i had the notion to ask if was sugar free, she said no it has sugar in it but it is LC, due to the but crsut... what!!!!!.... what a way to deceive people. i would rather have the graham cracker crust with all that sugar in it instead of the nut base. Thank god we never touched it and sent it back immediatley. So this restuarant does not know what low carb means. The only real lc item is the mashed cauliflower... big whoop they don't even taste that good i make them so much better. So those of u who ate that sugary cheesecake and thought it was too good to be true.... well it was.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:45

Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

Here is their LC Menu with carb counts.

Last edited by sonnofa : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 08:46.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:51
Registered Member

i know what the carb counts were, but you are not supposed to eat sugar or wheat that is the whole point of eating lc.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:03
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I thought wheat was ok. When is wheat wrong on Atkins in the latter stages?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:24

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Hmmm, thanks for this post jamba. DH and I also ate there this past weekend. We ate the chopped steak, mashed cauliflower and broccoli, which was excellent, and perfectly safe. However, we both had the cheesecake, but did not think to ask if it was sugar-free. I don't think there was much sugar in it, as I didn't get a reaction after eating it, but still, I would not have gotten it had I known.

Ruby Tuesdays is still high on my list for LC friendly places to eat... I'll just skip the dessert from now on.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:38

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

LOTS of LC products have some sugar in them... I knwo its not really 'legal' but 1 or 2 grms of carbs 1 time in months and months really cant be that bad..after all there's even some sugar in sausage I've noticed...my bacon is sugar free.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:40
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

How can it contain much sugar at just 8 carbs per slice?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:44

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think there is anything wrong with the wraps/tortillas. It's better that they're made with wheat and other whole grains instead of white flour. In fact, the la Tortilla low carb tortillas are also wheat. I think you might be mistaken on these. As for the cheese cake, the server is probably not very informed about their low carb foods (it seems most of them aren't), so she probably told you incorrect information.

~Kelly Deneen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I wouldn't trust what your server told you. Maybe we can get the ingredients from their web site. I was looking forward to trying Ruby Tuesdays for a special ocasion.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:42
Registered Member

the server did know it was made with sugar, she said we don't use splenda in our desserts, i wish they would. any yes sugar in cheesecake is bad even at 8g of carbs. i understand sausage and some other things may have sugar in them that is fine every once in a while but a whole slice of cake with sugar, what is the point of this diet then. I have made a great cheescake with splenda and it def was not 8 g of carbs per slice. anyway i think if they are going to market lc they should really make it lc all the way. they can harm people who really can't have any sugar like diabetics, etc like my paretns, it would have sent their blood sugar level through the roof all because they said it was lc. don't label it as lc when in fact it is not.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:46
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Jambo, I was not arguing that 8 carbs is OK even if they're from pure sugar. I'm just thinking that at 4 carbs per teaspoon, plus all the carbs in the nut crust and the cream cheese used to make the cheesecake, there doesn't seem like there'd be much room for sugar. It seems like if they were using sugar it would add up to much more than 8 carbs per slice. The slices aren't exactly small.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

8g is about right for a Splenda-ified cheesecake with an almond or hazelnut crust -- my cheesecake recipe, which uses a hazelnut crust and 3/4 c splenda, is not far off that at 5.5g per slice, and it's skimpier on the cream cheese than other recipes I've seen out there. Remember, Splenda itself has 24g carbs/cup from the maltodextrin filler, cream cheese has 1g per ounce (most recipes use 24-40 oz), and an almond or hazelnut crust usually adds 2-3g per slice. Unless you're using erythritol or DaVinci for sweetener, it's just about impossible to get a cheesecake below 5g per serving. The worst thing in it is likely to be a twblespoon or two of flour or cornstarch, which helps keep the cake from cracking (an important consideration in a commercial environment), and this is an insignificant amount when spread over the whole cake.

Hilary's right that there's no room at all in that carb count for sugar. A cup of sugar is 192g carbs, and cheesecake recipes almost never contain less than 3/4 c; conservatively assuming a 16-slice cheesecake, that's 9g just from the sugar alone, never mind the other ingredients. As for the tortillas, pretty much all LC breads and wraps contain some whole wheat flour; they're not recommended for Induction, but are perfectly fine for reasonable use in OWL and maintenance. All in all, I think Ruby Tuesday's has done quite well with their LC menu.

Last edited by atlee : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 13:50.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:13
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I went there last night and enjoyed the entire meal, including my cheesecake desert. I agree that that the servers do not necessarily know what is what with the new l/c menu. I asked all kinds of questions and the waiter said he would get the manager, they didn't know much about it unless they happened to eat that way too. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had no bad carb reaction. I normally would from hidden carbs, so I beleive the carb counts for the meals were pretty close, when I put them into fitday, it came up really close also. I think to each there own, but I will go again. i had the cheesecake because it was my birthday, wont necessarily have it everytime I go, but the fact that I had a choice available, was great.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:18
Registered Member

Stats: 293/254/150 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Ok Guys I just talked to them and they sent me this because I went today and picked up a piece and it is so good.
Menu Item: Carb Smart cheesecake
Recipe
Item Amount Unit Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber NET carbs Factor

Low Carb cheesecake 1 Each 360 7 32 11 1 6 1

Ingredient Statement for Low Carb Cheesecake

CREAM CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK AND CREAM, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, CAROB BEAN GUM), SUGAR BLEND™ (LEVULOSE, LACTIN, PHASE 2TM, SOLUBLE FIBER (MAY INCLUDE TRACE AMOUNTS OF THE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING; BETA GLUCAN, GLUCAN OR INULIN), EGGS, SOUR CREAM (CREAM, MILK, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, LACTIC ACID, GELATIN, GUAR GUM, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE), LOW FAT SOY FLOUR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BUTTER, GROUND ALMONDS, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CINNAMON.

Thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:20
Registered Member

Stats: 293/254/150 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Kindof hard to read but she said that it was made with splenda and it has 6 net carbs per slice.