Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%
Default My House Has Never Been so Clean!

I've noticed that since starting this WOE in a serious way over the past couple of months I have been cleaning my house more and that I easily become annoyed when I spot a dust bunny or discover something on the floor or out of place. Am I replacing my food compulsion with a cleaning compulsion? I also seem to have become addicted to this forum I suppose these are good things, eh?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:12

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Tedmom, please head over to my house when you are done beeing compulsive at yours! Low carbing has NEVER made my house cleaner and I have plenty of dust bunnies for you to enjoy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think i clean more because i don't know what to do with myself if i'm home....that doesn't sound quite right, but my kids are so busy doing things that i am rarely home....and now when i'm home, i'm not busy stuffing my face, so i have to find something to do---i need a hobby, i guess....wow....i realize how pathetic i sound........
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:29

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I have some cleaning for ya'll to do!! I never did get that 'energy boost' people talk about on Atkins and I'm not really bored at home.

My house is a little cleaner since this WOL just b/c there was so much I couldn't do before but, I sure wouldn't say I'm compulsive about it. Probably never will be and with 3 dogs, there are lots of dust bunnies. I could probably build a 4th dog.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:30
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

I haven't noticed an urge to clean more--but I certainly have more energy to clean thoroughly while I'm at it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:39
Contributing Member

Plan: ???
Stats: ???/???/??? Female ???
BF:
Progress: 10%

I think I once read it has something to do with finding order. When you take control of a specific thing in your life, you look for other areas that need tidying, so to speak.

I look for more things to do around the house now that I'm not taking up all my spare time eating. I was thinking about this just the other day when the rest of the family was out and I was bored. My initital reaction was to eat something but I wasn't hungry and just a little disappointed at the fact that I had the perfect opportunity to pig out in private, and I didn't want anything. Now that's sick! I realize how much of my time was spent eating or thinking about food.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:11

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco2
the family was out and I was bored. My initital reaction was to eat something but I wasn't hungry and just a little disappointed at the fact that I had the perfect opportunity to pig out in private, and I didn't want anything. Now that's sick! I realize how much of my time was spent eating or thinking about food.

I think it's GREAT - 1. that you realized you weren't hungry and didn't eat anyway and 2. that you realized this old behavior that you've now changed.

Way to go!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:39
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I wish you lived closer to me. You could get paid for your compulsion. I am a terrible housekeeper.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:50
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Compulsion smulsion, I wouldn't worry that cleaning the house is bad.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:01

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

I think its normal. You need something to do with your hands!! Instead of opening that fridge or cupboard door!!! Cleaning your environment is healthy. If your environment is in control, al lot of the time so is the rest of your life!!! I'm constantly tidying and cleaning (mostly though because my husband is a slob but that's another story). It makes me feel better.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:10

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

oohhh....what a HEALTHY compulsion!!! lol

I need to stand closer to you maybe I'll catch it! My husband told me our ew house MUST stay clean or he will flip out on me so I may be forved into compulsion! lol lets hope I can keep the place awesome! we'd all feel better I am sure.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:04

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Now if you are going around picking up empty glasses just as they are set on the table,you could have a problem. If you are going to other peoples houses and chasing dust bunnies you certainly have a problem.Especially if you are not getting PAID. But if you are just cleaning to keep food out of your mouth and keep your hands busy then you are normal.(what is that anyway?) You could take up a hobby but then you would have to clean up the mess. If I was going to have a compulsion I wish it was cleaning, heck, it is better than being a compulsive gambler or drinker or like me spender. I would be making money instead of spending it. Now there is a new thought.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 17:44

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Thanks for all your comments on my compulsive cleaning behavior. From your comments, it looks like I'm either being good (using my hands to clean instead of as the devil's workshop to shove high LC stuff in my mouth) or I'm hopelessly a nerd in search of the next dust bunny. While the offers of capturing dust bunnies across the country are definitely intriguing, I think I'll stay put for now up in the great north woods where I've got plenty of my own to tend to. In fact, I've got a big fluffy golden retriever who, despite being a male, gives birth to litters of dust bunnies daily. Hopefully, the cleaning compulsion will continue as the LC journey forges ahead! Thanks everyone! Julie.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 09:00

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've also noticed that I'm able to keep the house alot more clean, and I don't get as sore in my joints from doing that deep cleaning that needs to be done every once in a while.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 20:51
Registered Member

Stats: 282/257/140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 18%

I know what you mean ever since my first weekend on atkins I've been on a cleaning fury myself. All this energy and nothing to do with it so my apartment reaps the benefits. Although my dear husband thinks I've lost my mind.