Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/268/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question End of day one.

Well it is the end of day one and according to the info I have listed at FitDay I end up with 22 grams of carbs - 5 grams of fiber for a total of 17 grams of carbs. I have taken in a total of 2247 calories and have had all my water. But now I am feeling stuffed and kinda guilty. Can I possibly be doing this right? I certainly do not feel like I am on a diet. I'm afraid that I am not measuring correctly or that I am eating way too much of the "Atkins appropriate" food. I am thinking that tomorrow I will try to back off on everything just a bit and shoot for 20 carbs total including fiber.

A question! I was thinking of taking a daily fiber suppliment to head off any problems down the road. Can I take something like the Fibercon caplets while in induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:47

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Sounds like you are doing great! The wonderful thing about this diet is that you can eat until your full and still lose. I too was amazed at that fact.

As far as the Fibercon, I'm not sure about it. Some of the supplements contain sugar so I would suggest you read the label. Wish I could be more help there. There are supplements you can take. A lot of people use psyllium husks.

Welcome to the forum! It is good to have you here.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:32

Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

Pretty soon you will find it HARD to eat enough. Your need for food will seem to go down and you will actually be eating when you really dont want to......

Atkins, what a great life huh!

Max
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/140 Female 64 in
BF:?????
Progress: 45%

You are doing great. It will take a few days for your body to adjust and weeks for you to fall into a pattern of eating... keep your eye on the prize.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 21:08

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

From food I get about 1 gram of fiber per 100 kcal consumed with no problems. If you want to use that as a guide, you could aim for 22g needed - 5g food = 17g required supplement. I look at ratios of fiber:total carbs, and for myself get around 16%. I consider 14% or over to be good. You get 23% so I must say you are using your carb allowance wisely.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 22:02
Visit my Journal!

Stats: 257/330/280 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH!
Progress: 317%

I SOOOO agree!! My husband and I are ending our first day also. I feel like I have over ate, I feel stuffed. and My Hubby is still hungery, and he has ate more then I today. This all seems so unreal, to feel this full and it be ok, lol. Im use to starving my self to death to get any results.

Quote:
Even overweight cats instinctively know the cardinal rule: when fat,
arrange yourself in slim poses.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 22:09

Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

I too get full quickly. I find I have to eat a lot more smaller meals cannot even think of having a big dinner or anything. Way to stuffed.

Welcome to the forum, Good Luck!!

Lilbug
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 01:05

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

It takes a few days for the body to adjust and once it does your appetite will go down quite a bit. Don't fret these first few days, especially. I know it's hard to get used to after being on a starvation diet. Whenever I get hungry I find myself thinking, 'Okay--that's how I should feel on a diet!' Then the brain kicks in and says, 'No, that means it's time to eat, dummy!'

It's really important to get enough calories and I know if I don't watch myself, unless I'm having sort of a hungry day, I don't even go over 1300. My daily caloric goal is around 1800 currently.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 20:49

BF:

Well, end of day two and so far so good. I ended the day with 15 carbs and 3 fiber. I was about 12 ounces short on my water though. I'll try harder tomorrow. Ended up in town at supper time so I had to come up with something there. I opted for a Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken salad and a diet Coke. Not bad tasting. If their little nutrient list is correct the salad had 13 carbs (with ranch dressing) and three fiber. Oh, and I tossed the croutons and sunflower seeds that came with it and took off the big pile of carrots that was on it. (No loss there since I HATE raw carrots.) I had a bad headache since yesterday afternoon but that has started to subside over the last couple of hours. So at this point so far so good.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:42

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

When I started induction I felt like crap - I was starved and I had a headache and nausea for about a week. Now I feel great, and I have to remind myself to eat!! It just gets better from where you are!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 19:47
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I had the same problems my first week with the headaches and nausea, plus being ultra tired. But now I am headache free and I sleep better than I have in years.I personally could not handle chewing up a chalky fiber tablet, thank God somone turned me on to taking 2 PSYLLIUM husks veg caps a day to stay regular .
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
somone turned me on to taking 2 PSYLLIUM husks veg caps a day to stay regular .
Are these something I have to go to a health food store to get or can I pick them up at Wal-Marts?

Oh, and the headache is gone although the belly is still queezy.