Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Question Poll: Best Shake Mixes

For those who have been LC for awhile, what low carb shake mixes (dry) have you found to be the best..taste-wise and money-wise? I have to "drink" my breakfast quite often and am so tired of paying a fortune for mixes that I can hardly stand to swallow once I try them! Home-made recipes welcome as well! Thanks!! Also, I have noted that most of these shakes are quite sweet. Is this a problem during Induction?

Last edited by katlynweb : Mon, Nov-17-03 at 12:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 210/204/150 Female 5'6
BF:too much
Progress: 10%

Hi Katelyn, this is the first time I have ever replied to something so I hope that it works. I use the GNC PRO Rx. I am only just starting back on the LC diet. I don't even know if this is a "good" low carb drink or not so I'll be watching any other replies that you get. I work crazy shift work hours and I need to find something that is quick and easy to use.
The pro-rx has
calories 214
protien 35
carbs 20
24 servings per container
cost $45.99
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:34

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

I like the Atkins Shake mixes. They remind me of McDonald's shakes (especially the Strawberry). An added bonus (which I stumbled on by mistake), if you add ice to the mix when you mix it up it gets so thick you have to use a spoon to eat it. Although, when you do it this way, you have to shake vigorously as opposed to just stirring it w/a spoon.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:43

Plan: personalized
Stats: 215/185/175 Male 5'9
BF:31/22/15
Progress:

I use Pro Lean Mass from Extreme Labs. I get it from Bodybuilding.com. Not associated with them in any way other than a very happy customer. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/exl/lean.html

calories 200
protein 44
fat 2
carbs 4
fiber 2
servings 30
cost $34.48 including shipping

These amounts are for two scoops of the powder. I only use one mixed with a cup of water or half milk/half water. This is by far the best powder I've found, and I've tried many different brands. The chocolate and vanilla are very tasty. I haven't tried the strawberry. For that i generally just toss 4-5 frozen berries in with the vanilla. Another benefit is it is a protein blend using whey, casien, milk, egg and soy proteins. I prefer protein blends, but that is a personal thing.

The one drawback is that it doesn't mix up as easily as an instantized whey powders. The easy way around this is to use one of those hand/stick blenders. They work very well and are super easy to clean. And if you don't have one, you can get one at Wal-Mart for about $10.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:57

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

I know one NOT to get. The Keto shake (Strawberry) is horrible. I hate to just throw it out given what I paid for it ($18), but it is truly un-drinkable.

I had the Atkins mix in my hands today, but couldn't bring myself to spend another $18 without some idea that it was drinkable.

DanG
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 20:52

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

Does the Atkins shake mix taste like the Atkins premixed shakes? I like the premixed shakes (Vanilla being the only one I've tried), and would go for the Atkins mix if they taste the same.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 04:11

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Muscle Milk from CytoPro is good ... They have a bunch of flavors, but I have tried (and liked) the Chocolate Milk flavor and the Banana flavor.

Don't have the nutritional info in front of me, but I think it was 32g protein per serving (2 scoops) and 18g fat. Carbs were low too, I think 10g.

I'm sure you could buy it at Netrition ... follow the banner that's on the screen here somewhere ... Click on any product advertised and it should take you to Netrition. Muscle Milk is under the Drink Mixes section.

Last edited by Trainerdan : Wed, Nov-19-03 at 04:13.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 05:47

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

I like Carb Solutions, comes in choc. and vanella

3 net carbs per 2 scoops
130 calories

I get it at Wal Mart
cost $8.00 a can with 13 servings
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 08:12

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

Dan: IMO, I think the Atkins Shake MIX is better than the ready made shakes. (I LOVED the strawberry mix, but I thought the strawberry ready made had a horrible after taste.) I would "go for it". I think you'll be surprised.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 04:28

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

I'll give them another shot ... I tried cappucino before and it was nasty.

I'll try the other flavors and see. LOL. They're easy enough to find.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 04:57

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

I like the Keto "SOY" shake mix in vanilla . I put it in a blender and it whips up into a thick and tasty shake
Be careful because there's 2 versions that keto makes: regular and soy. only the soy version tastes good.
the worst I ever tasted was "Vitamin Shop" brand lowcarb shake mix
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 19:14

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I make my own with Optimum Nutrition 100% whey powder.

3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 Tbls. heavy Cream
2 Tbls. Davinci syrup of choice (experiment with different flavor combos)
1 scoop whey powder

if you want it thicker add a pinch of Xanthum gum.
if you mix it in a blender, add ice.

I do mine in a tupperware shaker. Yummy and filling for breakfast or snack.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 04:33

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

eew i thought the atkins strawberry shake tasted like pepto bismol. how do you make it less powdery?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 116/104/104 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 100%

My favorites are the Atkins shakes mixed with Soy Slender and ice. Makes all the difference over being mixed with water! I hate it with water. TrainerDan, have you tried it this way? The cappucino is great this way!

With the Atkins and Soy Slener vanilla flavors, I started adding Davinci eggnog syrup w/ a splash of nutmeg and O-M-G! It's great plain as well w/ a dash of cinnamon. Will try some other Davinci flavors soon. With the Atkins and Soy Slender cappucino flavors I add a bit more coffee if I have some made for fun and wow! The capp. Soy Slender is also great w/ the choc. Atkins. Don't be afraid to mix and match.

IWillLose, try the strawberry w/ vanilla Soy Slender and ice. I love this one made this way too! Let me know.

Last edited by Carolie : Sun, Feb-22-04 at 16:41.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:46

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I used to drink Atkin's chocolate shake powder mix all the time....it was awesome blended with ice and a little cream. Then, they changed the recipe to the spoon-stirrable version...now it tastes grainy and nasty. The strawberry isn't too hot either in my opinion. I'm so sad they changed the shake mix It tasted like smooth, creamy chocolate pudding before the change..sniff..sniff...hehe