Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 23:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudknife
Samuel, your entire post is very interesting. Would you please expand into how you think our bodies adapt to Adkins and LCing?

Thanks for appreciating my post. I can tell for sure that high carb, low calorie dieting could only make things worse. This should automatically mean that our only hope is in low carb dieting.

Now here is why I think low carb dieting could do better:

For millions of years some humans have been living in areas where the food available was mostly vegetables and some other humans have been living in areas where they could only hunt to get their food. The first type has been eating similarly to cows and pegs now. The second type has been eating similarly to lions and tigers now.

For the first type, food has been seasonal. So their bodies have developed a mechanism to store energy during the season when food is available and use it during the season when food is scarce. For the second type, food has been available mostly year round, so their need to store energy has been less. Additionally, the second type needed to be lighter and to have more muscles to improve their ability to hunt.

When you are on a high carb, low calorie diet, you are telling your body that you are a human of the first type who is currently in his food shortage season. So your body will use its energy reseve and at the same time will believe more in the value of its energy reseve. When the diet is over, it must make you equal amount of body fat or more. In no way it could believe that your body fat is no longer necessary.

When you are on a low carb diet, you are telling your body that you have moved to a different environment. Your food is no longer seasonal and you need to be light and have more muscles to fit your new environment.

Finally, these are just my thoughts. Low carb dieting is new to me and nothing I know is guaranteed to be correct. Thanks again.