Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Stop taking Zoloft?

Hi all,
I've been on Atkins for 3 weeks and was doing well and pretty darned impressed with it.
But, last week I started feeling down and put it over to PMS. The TOM is over but now I'm feeling REALLY down and spent yesterday rolled in the fetal position on my couch watching t.v. and crying. Today, I'm feeling just kinda numb and the don't care thing happening. BUT then I realized that I stopped taking Zoloft [100 mgs a day for 5 yrs] when I started Atkins and the book suggested.
I thought maybe I wouldn't need it when the carbs stopped but perhaps, I was wrong. The medication should be fully out of my system now and maybe this is why the depression seems to be starting up again - at least it's my fear that it is [that fear is always there tho eh]

Has anyone else tried to stop meds and the bottom seemed to fall out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:51

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

There was a big show On CBC TV on depression and Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac. I am not sure of the spelling.
Anyway, they were saying that these meds have to be weaned out of your system slowly and that you should no be doing it on your own. Sound like you are crashing and you need help.This could be dangerous for you .
I am on Effexor XR, which does not promote weight gain.
Hope this help you, go see your doctor for help.
Pene
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 17:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Dr. Atkins NEVER said to stop taking medications that your physician had decided you needed. I believe that he suggested that people should be monitored because meds might need to be readjusted after starting LC.

LC can help many conditions and chemical imbalances but not all. It sounds as though you should resume taking the medication as your doctor has prescribed. From what you say, it seemed to be helping. BUT PLEASE CALL YOUR OWN DOCTOR and explain what has been going on. He/she is the best advice since they have examined you and know you.

Losing weight is a happy thing, but cannot fix a chemical imbalance. That's what the meds are for.

Hugs and wishes for a happier next week.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 17:47.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 07:14
Registered Member

Stats: 260/165/110 Female 5'5"
BF:60/44/20
Progress: 63%

I take Zoloft and if you want to stop, you are supposed to wean yourself off of it. If you don't it can cause severe depression, which is probably why you got so down. There are conflicting opinions on anti depressants and weigh loss. I dont think I could have lost a lb without zoloft. On the other hand, my mother only finds that the antidepressant she takes (effoexor) only makes her gain more and more weight. If I were you, I'd talk to your doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 12:30
Registered Member

Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%

thank you all so much for your inputs....they are very helpful. I'm back on the Zoloft now and won't stop again! Unfortunatly here in Southern Ontario there is a shortage of Dr's and the ones we do have have too many patients. You can't really talk to then about such things cuz they just throw meds at ya.
BUT, I checked with my naturalist and she told me never to stop without checking with her!
Thanks again everyone
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 20:37

Stats: 230/240/165 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Wow. Your post described what I am going through. I already tried the St. Johns, Kava, Valerin Root like in the Atkins book pre-diet and pre-Zoloft, with no results. So when I started Atkins, I weened off the Zoloft but I decided today that going without is not an option. I haven't cried this much in years. I'm depressed over gaining 10lbs since I started Atkins as it is and the lack of meds certainly isn't helping my attitude. Like you, I have reasons I can't just run out to the doc, so I know how you feel. You are not alone (and neither am I!) I'm going back on the meds, too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 12:57

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

These medications have what is known as a rebound effect, wherein a sudden stop will worsen the condition it was supposed to be helping.
Never, NEVER suddenly stop an anti-depressant. If high carb was causing the problems, it can certainly be gradually lowered as your system adjusts, but this is not a do it yourself situation.