Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 22:40

Plan: Need help with this one.
Stats: 103/103/103 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress:
Question Atkins bake mix

Can anyone tell me where in CANADA I can get the Atkins Bake Mix. I haven't been able to find it. I wanted to buy it so that I could bake some things to add variety to my son's diet.

Also, when I was grocery shopping tonight, I went to the book section but couldn't find the "Atkins New Revolution" book. However, I did find "The Atkins for Life" book in hard cover. I gather it's a new book. Has anyone heard of it? Is it as good as the "Atkins New Revolution"?

Any information you have would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 23:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Cheryl!
There are so many wonderful Canadians here. You should be hearing from one of them soon!

As for the mix, I don't know the answer, but I do have the recipe. It tastes exactly like the one I paid $14 for! Got it off this site last week...

1cup soy flour
2cups soy protein
2 tbs b.powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbs splenda.

Karen said it's not necessary to add much salt. I add a bit more Splenda and it's worth the extra carb per packet.

For the books: Again, I don't know what source for you in Canada. But I order my books exclusively from half.com. It is part of ebay. They are so cheap!

Hope this helps!
Annie-Pie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 00:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi Annie:

Thank you SO much for the recipe. I just hope that my son likes it. Do you have some good recipes for things like bread, for sandwiches, etc.? I want to give him more variety so that he doesn't get bored with it. He usually doesn't complain about too many foods. He's pretty easy-going.

I'll have to teach him a few things because he wants to move out soon. He moved back in with me when he went back to college. Now that he's finished and has a good job, he'd like to get out on his own. I don't blame him. However, I wouldn't care if he stayed forever, of course. What mother wouldn't? LOL!! But, I want what's best for him.

I'm helping him with this diet because there is SO much reading, etc. Since I do the cooking around here, I thought it would be best to learn about this diet too. I'm really wanting him to lose weight because there are heart problems on my side of the family. My dad died before I was 10 years old. Everyone in his family has died from heart problems. Hopefully he will he healthy once he gets his weight down.

Thanks so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Cheryl
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 04:00

BF:
Progress:

Hi Everyone:

It's me again! First of all I want to tell Annie what a cute baby granddaughter she has. She's adorable. I have a granddaughter, a grandson and another grandchild on the way come March 2004.
Being a grandma is the best thing in the world!!!

Anyway, I have another question regarding the Atkin's Baking Mix. I still haven't been able to find soy protein, but the soy flour I bought is 35% protein. It's Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground, Whole Grain Soy Flour, 35% protein. Does anyone know if this can be used as both the soy flour AND the soy protein instead of two different products, or is it necessary for two separate products? Thanks for any help.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 05:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

Annie-Pie -Welcome....please be sure to check the recipes and Low Carb shopping areas at the top of this site (the orange bar). I think you'll find what you're looking for there. I've tried some yummy recipes and bought some of the Atkins products on -line.

And, yes, the baby is a cutie-pie!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

I am not sure if you have any GNC stores in Edmonton but we have them here and they carry lots of atkins stuff, muffins, bars, pancake mix, bake mix etc. good luck
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You don't need Atkins Bake Mix to make great low-carb baked goods. In Canada, it's unbelievably expensive and can be unbelievably gakky but there's two schools of though on this. I belong to the Bake Mix is Gakky school.

The Kitchen Forum is packed full of great recipes for breads, muffins and the like so take a cruise through there.
Quote:
Also, when I was grocery shopping tonight, I went to the book section but couldn't find the "Atkins New Revolution" book. However, I did find "The Atkins for Life" book in hard cover. I gather it's a new book. Has anyone heard of it? Is it as good as the "Atkins New Revolution"?
They're based on the the same principles but I would say that Atkins for Life is for people who are not over fat and in relatively good shape or for those in Atkins Maintenance. For fat loss intervention, you need Atkins New Diet Revolution. Another book that follows the same principles is Protein Power which explains everything clearly.

Quote:

I still haven't been able to find soy protein, but the soy flour I bought is 35% protein. It's Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground, Whole Grain Soy Flour, 35% protein. Does anyone know if this can be used as both the soy flour AND the soy protein instead of two different products, or is it necessary for two separate products?
There's a couple of reasons for using both. Soy flour is much higher in carbs and can leave a very strong soy taste which some people don't like. Soy protein isolate is much lower in carbs and has virtually no soy taste. Strange but true, de-fatted or low-fat soy flour is lower in carbs than the regular.
Quote:
Karen said it's not necessary to add much salt.
Um, I said there was too much baking soda in the original recipe which was 2 Tbsp and advised to use baking powder instead. 1 tsp. per cup of dry ingredients is plenty!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 23:17.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 23:48

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Karen,

I am so sorry for the misquote!

I'm glad you corrected me, and especially on the baking soda. Maybe that will keep it from tasting a bit on the bitter side.

Thanks everyone for the compliments about baby!

I want to encourage you all to make your own mix. It is so much cheaper. It's so expensive in Seattle ready-made. I can only imagine how much higher in Canada...and for a small can at that!

Hugs to you all,
Annie-Pie