Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 06:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/181/154 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Atkins Bake Mix Substitute

Does anyone have any idea what to substitute for Atkins Bake Mix in recipes? The shipping price to the UK makes it too pricey to buy online, but all the recipes for tasty treats on the atkins website use it. Is it mostly Soya Flour??

Help-I really need a muffin or cookie of some sort!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:55

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have no idea what is in it, as far too mean to buy it!

However, I have made fabulous muffin/scone/cake thing out of ground almonds (go to recipe section to find it, but I will look it out when I get home)

Also, I am very creative with Holland and BArretts soy isolate protein powder, which is v low carb and flexible.
I add an egg, a little baking powder, a dash of lemon juice sweetner and vanilla or cinamon and then bake/fry. Like drop scones?
Leave out the flavourings, add herbs, spread it on baking parchment and bake. Pizza base!

I have RObert (ex belarus) to thank for that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 15:28
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Vicky, and welcome!

I have seen substitute bake mix recipes posted here. Try searching the site for one. Just go to at the top of the screen, then type in "substitute bake mix." It will help if you confine your search to the Kitchen forums, and click on "show results as posts."

HTH

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 05:08

Stats: 182/181/154 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them out as I can't wait to start baking again after induction!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 04:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Can't remember where I got this 'recipe' from, but it seems to work well:

Faux Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda
Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper
and things come out about the same.

**You could try substituting soya powder (milder taste) for the soy flour
and substituting egg protein for soy.
Soy flour can be purchased in most grocery stores in the bake section; soy
protein isolate is available in vitamin and health stores, I buy GeniSoy.
It is a different product, more refined, and can also be used for protein drinks. Be certain you purchase the soy protein isolate that indicates it can also be used for baking.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:25

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I've done some experimenting with basic baking, substituting self-raising flour with a mixture of soya flour and ground almonds plus baking powder. It works reasonably well, but does tend to have a slightly "heavier" taste than good old Victoria sponge And Splenda is great, but you have to bear in mind that when a recipe calls eg for 2oz of sugar, then the Splenda equivalent is only 4 TBSP
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 17:10

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

#8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 06:50

Stats: 181/159/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

DON'T WORRY IF YOU CAN'T GET IT. i.VE GOT SOME . IT TASTES DISGUSTING AND THE TEXTURE IS REALLY GLUEY.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: efgt (modified)
Stats: // Female
BF:
Progress:

Sylvia:

To get a lighter texture I wonder if separating the eggs, addign the yolks as normal and then folding in the whipped whites would help to lighten the textture.

Also if one is baking a lot its worth working out the cup measurements as Splenda is measured by volume (as they do in the USA) so 1 cup sugar is equal to 1 cup Splenda. Below is pasted guidelines from the USA site for Splenda (tho' I am not sure about adding dried milk powder given that milk is antipathetic to low carbing)

"Cakes:
Successfully make a cake sweetened with SPLENDAŽ Granular by following these tips:
For every 1 cup of SPLENDAŽ Granular, add 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder (sifted) and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Add sifted nonfat dry milk and baking soda to the remaining dry ingredients. Otherwise follow the recipe's directions.

Baking: Check for doneness 7 to 10 minutes earlier than the recipe calls for.

Bar Cookies, Brownies, Muffins and Quick Breads: Successfully make bar cookies, brownies, muffins, and quick breads sweetened with SPLENDAŽ Granular:
For every 1 cup of SPLENDAŽ Granular, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Add SPLENDAŽ Granular to the butter, and cream the mixture well. Add baking soda to the recipe's directions. "

SL
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 15:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
(tho' I am not sure about adding dried milk powder given that milk is antipathetic to low carbing)

"Cakes:
Successfully make a cake sweetened with SPLENDAŽ Granular by following these tips:
For every 1 cup of SPLENDAŽ Granular, add 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder (sifted) and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Yes, I think there are other ways to go without using dried milk powder, which will add 31 carbs for ˝ cup.

Rosebud
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 05:01

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Thanks, Sunnylady I'll try the eggs the way you suggest.

However, I think I'll stick to measuring UK recipes by weight. I got the equivalent amounts off the UK Splenda site, and assume they must know I use cups for US recipes though.