Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/319/165 Female 67 inches
BF:54.2/52/25
Progress: 23%
Question Atkins Accel - What's up with the Caffeine?

Has anyone else bought Atkins Accel. I didn't read the list of ingredients before buying. Just knew I wanted help to speed things along. To my surprise tho there's a caution on the bottle which reads as follows:

"This product contains naturally-occurring caffeine, approximately equal to one cup of coffee per serving. Consult your physician before using if you're on a caffeine- restricted diet."

Well as far as I know I'm on a caffeine-restricted diet advocated by the makers of this product. How do they reconcile the two? Does anyone have an answer?

I've actually taken 3 of the tabs which btw you're supposed to take one with each meal therefore approximately 3 cups of coffee caffeine equivalent daily. I've stopped taking them as I felt kind of sick and nervy and had pains the first day I took them. Wondered if I was having a HEART ATTACK so I decided to stop.

Remind me pls someone of why caffeine is bad for low-carbers and if you can point me to a page in DANDR that explains it.

Thanks.

Nicckkii
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 08:14

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

If you go to Atkins.com and type caffeine in the search engine, there are several articles that come up on the subject.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:54

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

wow..thats CRAZY! I am SO glad I didnt buy those! I have pretty severe reactions to caffeinne and it takes a week to get over again if I have some even once now...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 10:01

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I recently bought and tried the Accel. I did not have chest pains, but it did make me jittery and somewhat nauseous (perhaps that's the way it curbs your appetite?). I do not think I'll be buying this product again and also wonder why they would put the caffeine in while Dr. Atkins preached against caffeine. Seems as if Atkins Corp. is taking liberties with the program now that he's gone.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Stats: 364/319/165 Female 67 inches
BF:54.2/52/25
Progress: 23%

LC: I checked the website and found the following in the FAQ list:

"Why is caffeine unacceptable in the Atkins Nutritional Approach?

Excess caffeine can drop blood sugar levels and leave you craving sweets. If you're addicted to caffeine, you must give it up. The best way to do this is to segue from the high-octane stuff to decaf by gradually adding decaf to your full-force brew until you are drinking straight decaf, which you can enjoy with cream. Water-processed decaf is preferable because it does not use chemicals, as other decaffeinating processes do."

Seems self defeatist to take Accel when the makers of the product warn you against one of it's ingredients.

Tedmom: I wholeheartedly agree with you, no more for me. I really would like some type of enhancer but when I think of how I felt that day I know this one is a no no.

Oh got this off the Atkins website too:

"The Caffeine Content
The source of caffeine in ephedra weight-loss products is often indicated on the label as kola nut or the herb guarana. In most products the amount of caffeine is generally at least 40 milligrams, or about half the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee; some supplements contain much more. Caffeine is a stimulant that makes you more alert and active, which in turn can make you burn more calories. However, caffeine temporarily raises your blood pressure, which is undesirable if your pressure is already high. That’s bad enough, but when you read the label on many popular over-the-counter herbal appetite suppressant pills, you’ll find they contain other herbs, such as licorice and yohimbe, which are also well known to raise your blood pressure.

Excessive caffeine also poses a more serious risk for people with impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes: It can cause hypoglycemia. That won’t help your weight-loss effort—in fact, it will hamper it."

Nicckii