Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Angry Pre Maintenance blues...`

.. wow just when you think youve cracked this WOE - along comes another phase and messes you up.

I started pre maintenance a couple weeks ago - and I have started having cravings so bad that i actually had a chunk of cookie in my mouth on saturday night! ( I spat it out before I swallowed it - how sad!! But I was so disgusted with myself) - so this week i am back to owl and not too sure where to go. It seems that the minute I get out of ketosis or up my carbs I want to eat sooooo badly.

I followed the DANDR suggestions for adding things back. Fruit is a no no for me - I am very disappointed - even a cpuple of grapes has me wanting more....

So now I am thinking of sticking to owl until after christmas (when all the major temptaions are gone) and retrying pre-maintenence - i guess I will have lost a couple more pounds by then too.

I will not be one of the people that regain it all when they leave OWL - but now I can see how it can happen easily.

Claire
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

First, congratulations on recognizing what your body is reacting to. You're already ahead of the game, so be proud of yourself.

Might be very wise to stay away from the trigger foods. I know I absolutely cannot have any of those low impact carb sweets, ice cream, etc. I simply cannot stop once I start.

Yes, it can happen easily. I went off the program for about 6 weeks, and I've gained back 10 pounds and some of the inches. And I felt icky to boot.

The holidays will be tough for us all, but we can do it!

Hugs,
Shirley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

You should try L-Glutamine 500mg 1-3x a day, it has really helped with my cravings. I can't recommend it enough.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've heard great things about L-Glutamine, and my Mom & I found that CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) stopped our fridge raids at night.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:39
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I am having the same problem as you, I was completely comfortable with my 20-25 carbs and induction foods but decided to move on to OWL... fat lot of good that did me!!! I am only up to 35 carbs a day and I am so unsure and second guessing every move I make... Oh to be back in the safety net of induction. I know I just have to work through this and stick with it in order for it to become my safety phase when I try to move on to pre-maintenance, but..... at least I know I am not the only one in this boat (of terror) hehehehe
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Woolina - the purpose of OWL and premaintananc eis to take away that safety net and teach you how to make eating decisions for life. At some point you need to learn how to make good food decisions. It is typicaly the people who do induciton all the way to goal weight, then aren't sure what thier CCL is, or try to go back to eating the same as before they went on the plan, that have problems.

usedtobero- What about premaintanance made the cravings? Did you add a certain food back in? Did you try to do a sudden jump in carbs? Rememebr too that when you add back in fruits you have to start with low GI fruits. Grapes are very high GI if I remember. You need to start with berries, then maybe later add in a small portion of apple, orange, or peach. Not jump to grapes and bananas. Make sure to read up about Glycemic Index, and Glycemic Load.

You might want to look into getting a copy of Atkins for life from your local library. It has easy to use tables showing what foods to eat often, in moderation, and rarely.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 05:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank You for your help.

I am getting there slowly... I truly undrstand that this is a learning process in pre maintenance. Learning what you can and cant do for the rest of your life and I am trying to approach it constructively and methodically.

It helps that this week I did lose 1lb whilst eating at pre- maintenance levels - so i know that slowly but surely I will lose the last 10lbs. I guess my problem us trigger foods and fidning CCL. CCL level is a tough one beacuse it seems that all carbohydrates are not equal - and so its really more than that.

My Trigger foods :
- any fruit - even berries - strawberries etc - this one i have to work on somehow - as I dont want to give up fruit comepletely! I am going to try fruit in combination with other things, cream maybe or something high in fibre to see if that lessens the impact.

- I can only eat one slice of low carb bread at a time - this is not too bad - I got a little excited when i found low carb bread and started to use it as my staple which meant i was eating less veggies and protein.

On the plus side I have been able to eat a couple of roast potatoesand also sweet potatoes with no problem also carrot and parsnips. Veggies really are your best freinds - even for me the higher starch items!

I am going to be working on the fruit thing - then I am going to try some brown rice and maybe some lentils - which I have really missed. I have decided that pasta is going to be a never again food for me. Even before atkins I found I felt better when i didnt eat it and i dont miss it it.

ANyway thanks for listening to my thoughts and for the encouragement. For anyone else going thru this ; just hang in there , follow the program and listen to what your body is telling you about what you feed it.

CLaire

I have asked Santa to bring me Atkins for life as its not in my library and i cant really afford it - I hope he gets the not so subtle hint I gave him!!!

I have

Last edited by usedtobero : Mon, Nov-17-03 at 06:14.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 11:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When ever you have fruit or other carby food make sure to have it with protien. Such as a piece of apple and a cheese stick and so on. That helps slow the time it takes for the gluclose to enter your blood stream and you don't experience the inslulin rush that could be causing problems.

Veggies really are great I've been experimenting with different ways of using squash. I made a potato like pancake thing with acorn squash, and love spaghetti squash with garlic butter as a side dish Then of course there's pumpkin, yummm.