Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:07

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%
Default Looked in the mirror today....

Naked......First time ever. I always avoided mirrors...last week DH bought me a full length mirror. I never owned one..heck I didnt ever want to see me in full length.
Well...I finally got the courage to view myself naked...I didnt look so hot...but I can finally see some improvement...I didnt look that bad....need to work on some areas....stomach and legs...but Im sorta ok with my body now...
Ill never be able to wear a "bikini"...but maybe by this summer...Ill walk around in a one piece bathing suit....I have never done that....
Im so looking forward to the new me....

Funny how sometimes the more compliments you get the worse you feel ...its like why cant I see how good I look....I hope someday....to get a compliment and smile...and say thank you...not to pick apart my flaws..and comment on how I still need to loose more weight...

Does anyone have the same issues about themselves.....?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

From your pictures You are a beautiful girl....Stop being so hard on yourself ( I should take that suggestion more often also)

When someone gives me a compliment I always put myself down....My best friend told me to just say "thank you, I'm trying" when someone comments on my weight loss...or just plain thank you.

You are doing great
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:17

Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%

oh, boy - if you only knew! i am very hard on myself. that's why i like coming to this forum - it's teaching me to be a kinder me. i still look in the mirror and think, sheesh - you still got a ways to go, girl. but i have to stop myself before i go any further. i believe that the negative thoughts we have about ourselves play a major role in hindering our progress and keep us from succeeding in our goals. so i am trying to say at least one nice thing to myself a day and treat myself to some new clothes when i do good. just recently, i started buying thong panties (i know, TMI!) and i have to admit, they are much nicer than having to pull the wedgies out that my *granny* underwear used to cause.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:27
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Orignally posted by cetacean
just recently, i started buying thong panties (i know, TMI!) and i have to admit, they are much nicer than having to pull the wedgies out that my *granny* underwear used to cause.

I laughed when I read that.... I too just recently started wearing them myself. I find it really hard to over eat wearing them, don't know if it is my own little psycological tick or what...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:35
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Wow you two...thong undies?? Good for you! I can't go there -- I tried them years ago and found them unbearable to wear. But there is no question that I'm going to have to do SOMETHING about my underwear. Just this AM my husband noticed that my undies are drooping terribly in the back -- my butt isn't filling them out QUITE as fully as it used to. I pulled them all the way up to get them to stop drooping and we had a good laugh over that. Maybe some string bikinis next...

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I think most of us have those issues that we will have to deal with while we are losing weight.
People used to look at me not because I was beautiful, not because I had fashionable clothes but because I was (am) fat. I know that look. Now when people are looking at me I am still feel uneasy because I hate being judged.
This weekend I had a family gathering and at first they said you are looking great, then they asked for me to turn around so they could see and then they asked me to take off my vest so they could take a closer look at the real me. I should have felt great about this, they noticed, but I felt like I was being judged and my fat person came back in my brain and I all wanted to do is get the hell out of there. I had to console myself with a smile on my face and work through these issues and practise makes perfection.
So yes accept the compliment and the next time you look at yourself give yourself a compliment as well. Tell that fat person in your brain to go away.
angie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:54

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I am really happy to hear that there are so many people out there like this. I too, get compliments, I have learned to say thank you, and move on, but then I go home and look in the mirror, and see fat, fat, fat. My husband thinks that I look fantastic, but I am flabby in places I don't want to be, and I have lost almost all of my boobs!! But, I did start wearing thong undies too, and I even splurged this weekend an bought a pair a Victoria Secret. I have never paid that much for underware before!! It makes me feel good about myself, (and a little naughty at work) to wear them. I also like to wear my jeans tight now, and they don't show panty lines!! But, put me in front of the bathroom mirror naked, and I still only see the fat!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:18

Thanks for all the replies...Glad to see im not the only one who is having a hard time with compliements....
As for the Thong Issue..lol...I cannot imagine my butt and stomach in one of those....ewww....I dont think Ill ever wear one....I rather look at me naked then see some thin silk thong only covering half my fat....not a good pic let me tell ya!...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:12

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacean
i believe that the negative thoughts we have about ourselves play a major role in hindering our progress and keep us from succeeding in our goals. :

Wow! Aint this the truth? I totally agree. Abusing yourself with words and thoughts goes HAND IN HAND with abusing yourself with food (i.e, killing yourself slowly by feeding your body crap). It's a viscious cycle! Time to love yourself and realize that you "deserve" to eat well and be healthy....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:16

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieK
\
This weekend I had a family gathering and at first they said you are looking great, then they asked for me to turn around so they could see and then they asked me to take off my vest so they could take a closer look at the real me. I should have felt great about this,

Eeek. I would be bent out of shape if my family put me under the microscope like that!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Just wanted to say that I think each of you are beautiful people inside, and out and I wish you nothing but the best on your LC journey!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:28

Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%

you know, girls - as scary as they sound, thongs really aren't that bad. i used to think "oh my, i could never wear a thong. if i did, all you would see is cheeks!"

but they really are more comfy than regular undies and if you buy them in the right stores, they fit those of us that are a little more endowed better. lane bryant is where i got my thongs and they are wonderfully comfy. the funny thing is, i actually had to get them in the smallest size because i'm shrinking!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:44
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree with cetacean...thongs are actually pretty comfortable. It took me a few times to get used to them, but now I don't mind them at all. I own a few pair of pants that show VPL (visible panty line) with ANYTHING besides thongs, so I had to buy a couple for those days. Yeah, all you see is fat flabby cheeks, but at least they're not as flabby as they used to be!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:48

So...what you guys are suggesting is I go get me some?...lol...

I will...just to see..Im sure I will not like them...but hey..with all this THONG support..they must be ok...just to get used to them..is the hard part...I bet they feel sexy on...I guess wearing them you might actually feel thinner...cause I always thought they were for Skinny women not me...
Wish me luck....LOL
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:51

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%

Well good for you, i don't think i will be doing something like that for a very long time. But i know it will be a huge step for me to do it. Congratulations on your weightloss