Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/170/135 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Cool Good Ideas For Alcoholic Beverages???

Need to celebrate and need some ideas.... Is clear liquor like Rum or Vodka okay? I have been using a little of that and some Diet Rite. Any other suggestions? Also, how much right after induction is okay? Thanks!

J
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 14:45
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jackie,

Yes, spirits have zero carbs. You'll find more ideas in this beverage list.

One big thing to note though, is that we low carbers have much less tolerance to alcohol than before. And those hangovers can be nasty!
So enjoy your drinks, just don't have as much as you would have before, and space them out with lots of water in between.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:28

Stats: 283/251/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have found that since low carbing that alcohol makes me have stomach cramps the next day. I usually drink a couple of michelob ultras or vodka sodas with lots of water. Before I started low carbing I was a pretty regular drinker so I can definitley tell a difference. Does anyone else get stomach cramps the next day?

LB
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:41

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

From what I've seen and heard, Michelob Ultras are the lowest carb beer if beer's what you like (1g). A bartender told me that Bud Light's the next lowest carb, though I don't know the exact count.
There's also a lemonade-type malt drink called Thin Ice, that apparently tastes a bit like Smirnoff yet with only 1 carb. It's sweetened with Splenda.
I think the best is vodka or rum mixed with Diet Rite, but the White Grape DR tastes kinda gross mixed with liquor.
I'm not sure about the stomach cramps...wonder if it could be from mild dehyrdation, i.e. drinking more alcohol than water?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:22

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Diet Soda and Vodka is the best!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:31

Stats: 210/140/135 Female 67"
BF:19.3%
Progress: 93%

I go to happy hour frequently and when I order, I will order a Colorado Bulldog made with diet coke. Rum and Diet Coke. Acreamscicle screwdriver is fairly low in carbs (about 5) it consists of Vanilla Vodka, OJ, and cream. Very good! If you are amking your own at home, Baja Bob's Pina Colada mix is Yummy and has minimal carbs. I have heard that Michelobe Ultra is nasty and the next lowest carb GOOD beer is Miller lite not Bud Light. I don't drink beer.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 11:01

Stats: 212/180.5/145 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Awful hangover

I can definately confirm the fact that you will very easily feel sick as a dog if you're not careful.

I took my first drink about 3 weeks ago. It was 4 or 5 glasses of dry white wine. Now, I was a major drinker before I started Atkins in Sept. I could drink a lot without any problems.

Let me tell you! I drank the wine and seemed fine, then, like a train out of nowhere I was drunk. It just hit me like that! Within one hour of that I was sick as a dog all the way into the next day. Also, a major headache.

I can definately say that the experience made me realize that I wasn't missing nothing and I will be super, super cautious whenever I do have a drink (or maybe 2) again. Since that time, I've had no desire to have a drink.

I'm on the straight and narrow path for now!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 21:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

I like to drink white wine. it only has .9 carbs per 4oz and i just do a little bit and ADD seltzer water to it,, you can do maybe diet sprite or 7up too... its really good. It tastes like a spritzer,, and seltzer has NOTHING in it.. so i like it that way. have fun
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 21:54

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingintn
From what I've seen and heard, Michelob Ultras are the lowest carb beer if beer's what you like (1g). A bartender told me that Bud Light's the next lowest carb, though I don't know the exact count.

Your bartender needs to do a little brushing up! Mich Ultra is 2.8 or 2.9 carbs ( I personally don't like the taste). Miller lite is 3.4-- or is it 3.3? (GOOD taste- my personal fave) and Bud Lite is over 6 carbs (BOO!).
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 01:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

Well that bartender was close. To a regular person 2.7-9 grams of carbs =is= actually the lowest on the market..& to him thats probably extremely low. <shrug> cheerz
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 20:46
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

See now I feel real bad, over a month ago I was out with DH. Thought we were being good, and I have about 4 Gin and Tonics over the night. Tonic water, I assumed was like club soda, no carbs right? Wrong!!! Isn't it said that I am only now feeling quilty for something that happened a month ago? Darn, and we were so careful not to eat any of the carby food!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:57

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

i like vodka and diet soda....i think a few drinks here and there are great for the attitude....and a few vodka drinks wont take you out of ketosis! COOOOOL
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:15

Stats: 177/165/135 Female 5foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Vodka and soda with a lemon or lime wedge is my drink of choice!! Gin and soda works well too! The odd glass of red wine at 2g isn't to bad either but whatch out for those headaches!!