Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Low sodium
Stats: 322.5/275/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Rosa.

I think it is very important for your hubby to read the book too. I am with DW, when he says this: "Also, I really think your husband should read the book because it helps so much to understand the reasons why this WOE works. I fear that by not educating himself, your husband is setting himself up for failure. And as most of us know, it's that failure that causes us to gain even more weight. By not reading, your DH is approaching this like a "diet". And it aint."

I also believe wholeheartedly, as an addict of both carbohydrates and an addictive drug - nicotine - that YOU have to take responsibility for yourself. If your husband is not willing to read the book, not only is he possibly setting himself up to fail (all addicts like to leave that as an option - until they finally make a firm committment to never touch their substance again), but he may be using his ignorance of DANDR as a way to put the responsibility for HIS life change onto YOU. This is dangerous, because it may adversely affect his health, and yours as well as you may feel guilty and responsible for not being able to control *his* addictions. We all know we are all only one step away from being fat again - and stressors like these are huge triggers for relapse. It's a vicious cycle. And it should be noted that this is not a 'male' thing. I did this, and am obviously not male. Addiction knows no gender bounds.

Be careful, and let him know how important it is to be informed about such a major change. He has to be more involved in it.

Diana

Last edited by Diana D : Fri, Nov-07-03 at 13:50.