Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%
Default a little nervous about eating while on vacation - advise please?

leaving thursday morning for a few days in florida. i'm only into my 8th day of induction. done great, 4 lbs gone. this is the first time i've been able to stick it out this far.

i'm really worried about falling off the wagon (we'll be at a wedding & all kinds of events). i've not had bars, shakes, atkins chips etc. been a good little low-carber.

however: should i pack some frankenfoods just in case i'm in a situation where i don't have a low-carb option (or any other situation that would break me - i'm still weak!)? i know it's usually pretty easy to find the right options... but i'm nervous!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:49
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Pack a bar or two, along with some beef jerky and other non-perishable low-carb snacks. Yes, you might feel out of place chomping on jerky at a wedding, but you have done so well up to this point and you don't want to sabotage it!

Don't be nervous. Eating out and eating at events is easier than you are expecting. Just stick with meat and veggies, and you'll do great. Now, back away from that wedding cake...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:50
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

What part of florida are you coming to? I live here and low carb just fine just teasin ya!! if you are going to be in a larger area Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, Clearwater....they are pretty much used to low carbers and you can get something from just about anywhere you go out to eat (except that horrible macaroni grill down the road) If you are staying at someones house and worried about what they are going to cook, that is a different story. I would suggest maybe "helping" in the kitchen as much as possible, that way you have input as to what is being prepared, and no matter where you go, they generally have meat! If you even have to go to McD's they are carb freindly down here, they will give you a double cheese burger no bun no ketchup no onion for a buck and not even bat an eye.
At the wedding itself, that will be tougher, but like I said, they generally have meat and salads, even if it is cold cuts, wrap some around some cheese and go to town!! good luck on your adventure and have fun. It will be easier than you think, I am sure!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:31

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

we'll be at a resort, and running all over the place. i'm not worried at all about not being able to find anything i can eat at a restaurant. i'm just worried about finding myself in a situation where it's going to be easy to break my resolve. also have airline food to contend with, that kind of thing.

yeah, i'll pack some bars & beef jerky just in case. probably won't even need to touch it.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 16:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Most airlines don't feed people anymore!

I usually fly Delta, and they give out pretzels. I skip the pretzels and pack my favorite nuts. Nuts are very portable. Just watch your portion size!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 16:26

Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I actually do better when I travel. I usually stay with family or friends that know I low carb and they watch me like a hawk........waiting for me to goof up. I am always a paragon of virtue. wish I could travel all the time.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 05:44

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I went on three vacations this summer and never gained an ounce.I ate in restaurants every day also.Chicken,shrimp,lobster and beef with salads were easy to find.Hamburgers and hot dogs w/o buns great also.I also took a big can of mixed nuts and cheese.Whenever I was hungry I ate a handful of nuts or broke of a piece of chesse and of course washed it down with water.It was so easy to follow and guiltfree.Have a good vacation and keep it simple.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

originally posted by woolina:
Quote:
except that horrible macaroni grill down the road
Believe it or not, it IS possible to LC at the Macaroni Grill. They have a Tuscan Ribeye Steak there that you can get with vegetables in lieu of the starch.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:34
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I had a horrible incident with them about a week ago, the one down the road from me is not low carb friendly, I thought it may have just been my waiter, but the other two people that I flagged down where just as unhelpful. I will not form a judgement on all macaroni grills, that is why I specified the horrible one down the road.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sorry woolina about your bad experience. At restaurants, you'd think the customer was always right. Harummmphh! Most places have become used to LCers strange requests. I order a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich from our local sub shop in a container with no bread!