Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 06:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Tuesday, November 4

I like our old name, so I'm resurrecting it.

Rob, yes I have seen MY intro. My favorite is "Wet Shoe Diaries" (a variation of one of my earlier suggestions).

I guess the sticky is ok. But geez, everyone opening it is going to see my silly face staring back at them!

Still at 165 today. That's fine, though. Losing 10 pounds in 4 weeks is pretty amazing for me. My goal of 155 by the end of February looks pretty attainable.

Marjorie, good to see you two days in a row. You are doing amazingly well. Wow, that's a lot of pounds and a lot of inches. When you first started this journey, did you think you would be this successful? It's a wonderful WOL!

Robin, you said you're hyper after eating certain foods. Yea, that happens. It's really good that you're noticing these things. In this circle, we try to get everyone to listen to their own bodies to determine what works, and what doesn't work, for them. You're well on your way!

Catch you all later!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 06:47

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning all.

So the wench is minus 10 lbs! Good for you!!!!!!!!! Does that mean we have to spell 'wench' in a smaller type font?

Marjorie, sorry I missed your post the other day. The WW/LC thing is sort of on hold right now- I am incredibly bloated and I think it may have something to do with whatever is driving me to the doc for a pelvic ultrasound. I can't even get my pants buttoned this AM.
The way I do it is to use the points that other people would normally eat for grains and use them and the flex points (about 4-5 per day) towards more protein and full fats. For instance, if I hit my target of 26 and I do some exercise, that will give me 27-28 points. On top of that, I will use 4-5 flex points per day and have a couple extra ounces of protein, maybe real butter or cream and low carb grains. I don't eat a lot of the pretzels, etc, have popcorn on the weekends only if that, so I am still leaning toward LC eating. What it's teaching me is how to eyeball portions.That help?

Ok, it was Ellie who was sore but it's still Wendy with the boyfriend Sounds like a keeper. I like Barenaked Ladies too(I know alot of current pop groups even though I am well out of that generation LOL)

Hello to everyone else !!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:24

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I actually got to drive yesterday and take off the oxygen for two hours - that went well so it will be four hours without the O2 today.

I ate tuna for lunch yesterday and did pretty well with my carbs - went over on protein - it is going to take me a while to get used to the idea of limiting it to close to min amount, but research on ketone disorders suggest I really should do that to minimize the sort of problems I've had in the past. I looked back thru my journals - every time I have turned my ketostixs black, I had eaten 168+ gms of protein within the previous 24 hours. For newbies - I have a rare disorder that makes high level of ketones dangerous for me. Ketosis is not dangerous at all for healthy individuals

Lissette:
Glad Momma cows and calves are settling down some. Imagine the calves were kind of taken aback by the snow The cow pies sound almost like something we would eat. Aren’t cows herbivores? Why would they need a protein cube?

Ignore that Yeti in priestly robes and the band of renegades with him… <operation rescue from the planet carb is now in progress.>

Wendy:
Missed you - hope it was because the weather was great and you and your kindred spirit went rollerblading. Was he able to get a ticket for the concert tomorrow?

Ellie:
Hope you are better today. Ouch re: fingers - I'd forgotten that part. I knew from personal experience how sore you'd be. + motrin or Advil liquid gels

Elaine:
What you are eatting doesn't sound too bad - hope you can stretch things out until Friday. I had to do that last week cause I couldn't drive and hubby was too busy to take me to grocery store.

Bawdy:
Went out to your journal - note my photoshop skills will be needed soon for a book cover.... darn near put the pic of a clydesdale in heels in the 'pee in the woods' thread, but no one except this group would have understood it and how in the heck could we have explained it

BTW, the intro post we were using to start the thread daily is now a sticky. The board has a policy of discouraging repetitive posts because it gets confusing. So you are now a sticky BawdyWench

Marnie:

Great work - 48 lbs in 8 months - what an achievement.

Sorry to hear of s-i-l problems - will keep her in my prayers.

Robin:
.............................. .....
Great detective work on finding what specific items are causing you problems! So glad to have you sharing here.

Rob:
Reverend Yeti - I think we need to travel to SD - Lisette is mentioning having been abducted by aliens from the Planet Carbohydrate. I feel an exocerism coming on ..... .....

Your menu stats are looking good - has the scale budged yet? I'm just itching to post the melting witch pic again - you need to whoosh and give me a good excuse

Has anyone heard from Amy (metroames) here or elsewhere? Just wondering how she is doing... and what about Dee?

Kristine:
Hope you will drop by and participate in the daily thread on a regular basis. Thanks again for the sticky and the compliment on my avitar.

Black57:

Re: your lost pound. Come share with us. We welcome your interest and sharing re: 'historic eating patterns'.

Anyone using or curious about the PP WOE is welcome to participate

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Nov-04-03 at 12:51.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:55

BF:

Bawdy has lost ten pounds !!!!!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:05
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hey Bawdy!

I just noticed that you were up in my neck of the woods.

Congratulations on losing 10 pounds!

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:45

BF:

Gee, thanks for the congrats. It was rather surprising, seeing as how I've been stalled (er, maintaining) for the past year despite trying like heck to lose. It seems I was just too high on my calories. I'm hovering around 1,000 to 1,200 now, and it seems to be working. I feel the same now as I did when I did Atkins Induction a couple years ago.

Memory is a funny thing. For the past year, I would have sworn that I was eating the same way as when I lost the weight to get down to 155 before. Now I know better. I really was eating a lot less then, and it's sure helping me now.

Isn't it weird, though. If you don't want to be hungry, eat less. If you don't want to be sleepy all the time, sleep less. Sounds like the opposite would be true. Maybe I'm just a mixed-up bass-ackwards bawdy wench!

Orang, I'm so happy you're weaning yourself off the O2. Amazing catch on the protein, too. THAT's why journals are so important!

EDITED TO ADD: Beth, what part of Maine? I'm in Norway, and I work near the Maine Mall in South Portland.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:24
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm Down East, near Machias. My mother and the rest of my family live near Farmington.

I used to live in Portland when I went to USM. I now teach music in two schools, one k-8 and one high school.

Nice to meet you!

Beth
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:57

BF:

Bawdy, Your hometown newspaper is listed as as having one of the funniest news stories - Seems Norway, Maine police arrested marijuana legalization activist Aaron Fuda in the buff Saturday, at a wild party. They charged him with providing a place for minors to drink alcohol and resisting arrest. Even had a pic from the party.

Love the new outfit, Bawdy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:09

BF:

At least it's not poison ivy!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi all. Yep, went for another round of rollerblading yesterday with that guy from work. Today I am taking the day off before my concert tomorrow night. I was so beat last night that I went to sleep at 8:45 pm! I am not used to that much exercising. Again yesterday I had a really good time. He's great for conversation, and it is really unusual for me to connect to someone that well, especially a guy. I don't think he's gotten a ticket to the concert for tomorrow, at least not yet. I'll have to ask tomorrow. Barenaked Ladies are the greatest. They are so entertaining. For those who don't know, they are fully clothed, ordinary-looking men Their songs are hilarious and very amusing.

Weight is holding steady at 154, as it hasn't wavered in 3 days. I'm okay with that, though, b/c I would have expected for it to fluctuate up a little actually, which it hasn't. I'm thinking of bumping up my protein day to Thursday this week instead, and then it will be on to try to maintain this loss for awhile. I'm needing this b/c I have got to get myself back up over 1000 calories again. I am worried b/c food disgusts me right now, which I never thought I'd say. Usually I have a little appetite at breakfast, but then it gets less and less as the day goes on. Last night after rollerblading, I was so grossed out by the thought of dinner I didn't think I could eat it. I somehow managed to, but it was no fun. How weird is this? I must be in some severe state of ketosis or something that I've never really been in before b/c this is odd. I second Grady's ideas about how eating less actually makes you less hungry. It seems so contrary to logical thinking, yet it is so true.

Grady-I am so proud of you getting down to 165, that's halfway to your goal of 155! It's got to be encouraging to see that it IS still possible to lose the weight. I think my body is waiting now for you to get to 164 and be on pace with me, so hurry up, okay????

Renee-I didn't know that people with ketone disorders should worry about limiting protein. That certainly changes things, doesn't it? Are you planning on just lowering your calories and protein together, or are you going to replace some protein with carbs/fats?

Elaine-I hope you get whatever is wrong figured out. It doesn't sound like any fun. I'll be thinking about you. I DO NOT HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:09

BF:

What? That isn't poison ivy? The fine young man with you told me that's what it was
< snicker >

Last edited by Orang : Tue, Nov-04-03 at 15:38.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:21

BF:

Wendy
Glad to see you and glad you were out having fun. I wish I was going to the Barenaked Ladies concert.

No boyfriend --- yet

Re: changes in my diet - for now I will keeping the carbs a bit higher, the protein around my minimum (102 gms) instead of 130 - 175 gms I was eating before. I need to continue to keep fat moderate to keep me from having added ketones due to dietary fat. This may change after I meet with the endo, but for now -- that's the plan.

Elaine:
Just saw your post from earlier. Hope the ultrasound gives the doc an idea of what is going on here. Take care of you.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 16:26

Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

OK, I take it back-Wendy has a rollerblading buddy LOL.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 17:25
Registered Member

Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi all,
Three days in a row!
Thanks Elaine for the info. The appointment today went well for her. Turns out she doesn't have an infection and her surgeon is making an appointment with another surgeon in the city concerning trying a different artificial shoulder that might give her more shoulder mobility. No urgency for the surgery though. She seemed in a much more upbeat frame of mind on the way home.
We also had a good talk about her WOE. She's gradually slipped into more WW type eating--tons of raw carrots, lots of tomatoes, 1/4 of an onion in a salad. That sort of thing. She says that the WW group she attends is extremely anti-LC, so it's easy to see how she has got into that mindset. She is diabetic and LC has done wonders for her blood sugar but they have been higher than usual lately. She thought it was because of the infection, but on the way home admitted that it was probably because of increased carbs. She's rereading DANDR. I also encouraged her to get more protein. Blood work showed she is anemic. I think part of this is that when the home she lives in serves a dish she cannot eat, she brings herself a salad to eat. When I suggested she needed protein with that, she said that she puts a hard boiled egg on top. Well that's not enough. So she bought some salmon, tuna and sardines to have for such occasions. Also the prospect of further surgery is another incentive to get that weight down.
Wendy, have fun at the concert. When my daughter was a student at Calvin College (a Christian college in Grand Rapids Mich) they had BareNaked Ladies there for a concert. I wonder if the name caused any of the parents a little anxiety!
Renee, glad you are able to get out and about a little more again. Keep up the good work!
And, Kathy, thanks for the kind words. I've amazed myself in many ways. I realize I have more determination than many--why I don't know. Strangely enough I have absolutely no inclination to cheat at all. When I told my husband that I didn't miss bread, pasta, sweets, etc., he clearly didn't believe me. Hopefully I will be down to my goal weight before my 1 year anniversary. And congratulations on your weight loss too.
Marjorie