Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%
Default Unsure, so I ordered EggDropSoup-Any ideas??

I was out in a social setting at a CHINESE restaurant. Reading the menu I was SURE every item was DRENCHED in carbs!!!

So, I did what I thought was the best-I ordered Egg Drop Soup. I figured the broth was harmless and the egg was fine. Possibly the lowest carb thing on the menue.

HOWEVER, after it was served-I began to worry and even have a small amount of anxiety that it had more carbs than I had figured. The broth was clear but thick. I wonder what they thicken it with? Carbs??

I did eat it-all-but does anyone have any idea what the carb count might be for this?? Need to put my anxieties to rest.

Thnaks, LoryH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

I think it really depends on the chicken broth they added the beaten egg in to. A number of recipes add cornstarch or other agents that would really jack up the carb count. The chicken broth itself, depending on the source would have some carbs as well.

That being said... I'm pretty sure you will survive.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:39

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I couldn't find a carb count, but I think you did great. When in a situation like this you just try to find the lowest carb thing on the menu, and that's what you did.
Don't sweat it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

In my pre-LC days, I used cornstarch to thicken the broth. You chose well, considering. Another thought, if you are stuck in another social situarion at a Chinese restaurant, is to get the wonton soup. That is usually a clear, thin broth. Just use your spoon to get the wonton wrappers off in the bowl (usually pretty easy to do by the time the wontons have cooked and soaked in the broth - and that way most of the people you're with will not know what you're doing). Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 07:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%

ok-I feel better-
yes-corn starch was just the thing I was worried they used to thicken it iwth. BUT even though it was thick it was STILL clear so I wasnt sure if it WAS corn starch. Wouldnt CS make it cloudy??

Either way-your right-I will survive!! This too shall pass-LOL!

Anxieties much less!! xoL
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:20

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Just for thought-
I eat chinese food about 2 twice a week.
This is what I always get, its DELISH!
I never go out of ketosis so I know its perfect for Atkins eaters. ( what ever the phase your in )
Mu-shu chicken. Hold the starch mixers and the sugar sauce. ( and no plum sauce on the side or pancake rolls )
Its terrific! I ask the chef to toss in a wee bit of soy sauce and its a HUGE HUGE meal!
NoSunNoFun
if you have never had this its like a huge veggie and egg and chicken dish, the best part is you can toss this in your scrambled eggs the morning too!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 158/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I LOVE chinese food! I've found most restaurants will gladly do special requests- Moo Goo Gai Pan, no sauce, no rice is a good option, or just about anything else not breaded & fried. Curry, hold the rice, is good too. All of this supposes you're off induction, though. You can always ask what is used for thickeners, it's usually cornstarch.
Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:33

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

also...most Chinese restaurants will steam shrimp or chicken with vegetables. Ask for the sauce on the side and just use a touch of sauce for flavor.
Judi
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

I make my own egg drop soup that I got recipes for from 2 different lo-carb websites (which I combined - one of them didn't call for the cheese) and it is a little cloudy though I use no thickener. I add a bit of fresh grated parmesan cheese to the soup after I've dropped in the beaten egg, but it is cloudy from the egg - so maybe they didn't use anything! Think positive and don't worry about it - it's a good choice.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:47
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I would second AJ... the Chinese place that i frequent told me that they don't use any starches or thickeners... it is alittle off colored from the egg and the cheese they add... so maybe if you really need to ease your mind give the restaraunt a call and ask them... but for the most part i think you made a great decision... i like to get beef and broccolli or something with bambo shoots and waterchestnuts with chicken and peapods... the posibilities are endless at a chinese food place... . if you can stay away from the crab rangoon and the egg rolls that somehow know my first middle and last name... and call me from the time i walk in to the place.. til i leave