Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Non-impact Carbs

I went to my local Vitamin store today and bought a few LC bars that stated "2 or 3 Net Carbs" on the front of the wrappers. When I got home (put my glasses on)and read the small nutritional info on the back I was surprised that the actual Carb counts were in the 20's and the fiber (which I figured they merely subtracted out to get the net number) was only 4 or 5 grams. One bar stated, "Only the NET CARB COUNT of 3 g of carbs should be counted toward your daily carbo intake. The remaining 20 g of NON-IMPACT CARBS come from glycerine, malitol and fiber, all of which have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels." Should I be eating these?

#2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 16:08

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

CeeTee, some people eat the LC protein bars with no problems, counting only the "non-impact carbs". Other people find they are sensitive to the maltitol or other sugar alcohols and have to limit or exclude foods made with them. Do be careful, because while they may not affect your weight loss in a negative manner, they do sometimes cause gastric distress (to put it politely).

My personal experience has been that I suffer no gastric effects (unless I eat WAY too many) and my weight loss was unaffected for a long time. Lately, I have been stalled so have given up the sugar alcohols to see if that makes a difference. The jury is still out on that question, however!

Hope this helps. My suggestion would be to try the bars in moderation as an "emergency" food and pay close attention to how you feel and how your weight loss goes. There are also LC chocolate bars (not protein bars) out there that many of us rely on for an occasional sweet treat. All are made with sugar alcohols, to my knowledge. Sugar alcohols are also known as "polyols" and include maltitol, lactitol, and sorbitol (there may be others, but usually they end in "tol". Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

CeeTee
From what I understand whether or not you should be eating them depends on how your body processes them. I've seen many people post that their body treats the sugar alcohols the same as "real" sugar and as a result it stalls their wieght loss or causes cravings, or they tend to overeat them.

I only have Atkins advantage bars in cases of emergency (seldom) and haven't suffered any cravings or stalls due to them ... however ... I don't like the taste of sugar subs anyway so that may be one reason why they don't effect me. I just don't eat them for enjoyment.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 19:17

Stats: 140/136/118 Male 5'6"
BF:13/13/10
Progress: 18%

Its my second day and i had one for a snack and am super worried but just relax i think as long as you stick to the diet and eat an Occasional bar or shake it wont effect any weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 19:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Althought the bars are "supposed" to be alright for Induction, it's a better idea to wait until the 2 weeks are over. That way, you get the biggest possible loss during Induction.

Later you can find out if you are a person who is stalled by the sugar alcohols in the bars. Don't take the chance of sabotaging your Induction and only losing a bit.