Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:07

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%
Talking halloween binge and i'm ok with it

I did it. I binged last night. Couldn't resist the Reese's cups and Kit Kats. It was a long time coming though. For the past week I haven't been measuring anything. I've been making little concoctions from heavy cream, cream cheese, splenda and different flavored extracts. I also stupidly bought unsweetened chocolate. And even when I was eating real food, it was mostly large quantities of meat and maybe some veggies once a day. Then in the past few days I've had INCREDIBLE urges to just carb binge. I'd managed to avoid binging on illegal foods up until last night, but finally I just gave in. I know I should be upset, but really I'm not. I think in my head I believed that as long as I was eating legal foods, not matter how much, I was still sorta doing Atkins. Now that I've binged, I feel like I must start over from the very beginning. The slate has been wiped clean so I want to keep it cheat free.
If anyone else cheated during Halloween, don't get all upset. You've got a brand new chance to do it right this time. Atkins works, don't give up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/205/200 Male 6' 2
BF:
Progress:

Man, I'd love to cheat but I cant. Eating high amounts of carbs makes me vomit.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You should probably cut out the LC desserts if you are having problems with cravings. Especially during induciton when the whole point is to give up sweets and reset taste buds.

Next haloween have a game plan. Keep a couple bars of SF chocoalte around just in case, or better yet, make your own with no sugar alcohols. Put the kids candy in the back of the freezer so you aren't tempted, plus it will stay fresher.

If you cut out the sweet treats though, you may find next haloween you won't even be tempted. This year I was on a hungry day, but sweets didn't even look good. I was pigging out on LC things like veggies, or peanutbutter
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

I made myself a batch of the LC PB cups yesterday... I only had 1, and it more than satisfied me. Maybe you ought to try some of those next year? Some like them even better than the Reese's stuff, actually. *twiddles her thumbs*

I've only had one cheat that was totally intentional. It was on a day I was very stressed (found out that a family member did something very, very stupid and was going to pay massive consequences for it). I had almost an entire carton of mixed nuts... a 'legal' food, but that many whacked me out of ketosis and made me gain about four pounds. I felt bad about my figure, of course, but not the fact that I cheated that once. I haven't been tempted to do anything like it since then, either. I think that even Dr. Atkins himself, God rest his soul, would not have cared about that one little indulgence. This WOL is about control, though. You eventually learn that if you do not grow stronger from your mistakes, you are doomed to re-eat them.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 18:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Karen's truffle recipe is also very good. Hmmm peanut butter truffle......I wonder how that would be?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Being lazy is definetly good on thier WOE at times. There are so many good recipes out there, I want to make them all

I just wish there were more recipes for 1-2 servings. When it is mostly just me, and maybe a couple servings to everyone else, the food would eather rot, or be overconsumed. I can reduce some recipes, but like the LC donut recipe that makes 40 donuts, or a cheesecake that serves 12, what in heck would I do with them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 23:32

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I was tempted too. I bought reeses to hand out and that was always my weakness so somewhere in my mind I must have planned to cheat by picking up reeses. your mind is always trying to play tricks on you. I did open up a bag and put one bite in my mouth. I chewed it twice but did not swallow it and then I spit it out and immediately brushed my teeth to get the taste of it out. Then I did not go back. Since you did binge you know that this will elevate your blood sugar and cause you to have bad cravings for several days. So hang on for that ride and fight it out. Start over, but don't be ok with it. That's my advice. I am never ok with it when I cheat or binge. Being ok with it is what got me to 309 pounds.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 23:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Armywife-- interesting point about buying them for a reason. I think you may have hit the nail on teh head for a lot of us... how many treats does a person buy "for the kids" when it's a favorite of OURS, and they's be happy with something else... I know I'm quilty!

I disagree about not being "ok" with it though. There's no need to beat yourself up over something that already happened. I think the original poster meant that it was the last straw that encouraged starting over "clean". For me, guilt feelings and feelings of failure are what made me give up time and again over the years and get to close to 300 myself. Letting go can be liberating. it's taken that ability to forgive myself to make progress and not sabotage myself along the way!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:10
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I can reduce some recipes, but like the LC donut recipe that makes 40 donuts, or a cheesecake that serves 12, what in heck would I do with them.

I have not seen the LC donut recipe, but Karens cheesecake that serves 12 I am planning on making for my birthday in 10 days (well making it the night before lol) I decided I wanted something special that night and didnt want to go out and a bad habit is I wont trust anyone else to be as careful measuring the stuff as I am so I am better off making it myself. I am the only one who will eat it, and I am going to freeze the rest of it.

Just cut it in individual slices, put wax paper in between and freeze and then when you want a slice for some occasion just eat it frozen or let it thaw for 2 hours on the counter.

Other recipes like chicken, I make in large batches too and keep in the fridge or freezer and then I dont worry about meals. My salads also last for 3 or so days (picture in my journal lol)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:28

Can I make a suggestion? This cheesecake is really really good as a lemon cheesecake, I think it needs taht extra flavor to it. I also increase the sour cream, if you want I can find the creamcheese/sour crean ratio, I think it just turns out alot better this way.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

hmm, I am not too crazy about lemon, how about almond or a different flavor. I would love the cream cheese/sour cream ratio if you have it.

Thanks,

MJ
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 12:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

You have a point. I definitely agree with not beating yourself up about it......too much.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 12:18

The sour cream and cream cheese ratio is 50/50. Also I whip the egg whites. Other then that the recipe is about the same. I would make the cheesecake the night before, the texture seems to be alot better the next day.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 13:19

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Does anyone use chromium picolinate for cravings? I usually have cravings around TOM and find it helps to add some with my vits and oils. There's another one, too, that Atkins advises, I think it's L-carnitine but I've not tried that supplement.

I actually surprised myself this Hallow'een. Usually I take about one third of my kids candy (telling myself I'm helping them by reducing their sugar intake ) I wasn't tempted at all. Well, I guess maybe a little since I had a sf Russell Stover pecans & caramel chocolate and that helped.

But I feel confident I can survive the Cadbury chocolate easter eggs (the little robin ones AND the cream ones). Hallow'een was my guage and now I'm sure I'll survive! I was worried I wouldn't last that long. Another downfall of mine EVERY year were the conversation hearts at Valentine's. did anyone else just eat bag after bag?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I had pizza on Halloween just a little but still...I wonder if it was any better/worse than candy...lol oh well. I dont feel bad either. I am surrounded by candy here at home though and thus far havent had ny need for it.

I also have been craving carbs bAD so badly that I feel like my body is telling me it needs them actually...becuase I dont eat sweet or cheats in general so dont know what would start the cravings.