Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/157/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Question Same Old Query? No Ans. Still.

I'm sorta stuck: need some advice & help. I know this query has been asked but after reading 16 pgs of posts I did not find my ans. ? is there a mistake in the Faux Atkins Recipe because 2 tbsps of baking soda seems like a lot to me in that recipe, I did make it but found I cud really taste the soda in my baked stuff. also I am just not able to find the Vital Wheat Gluten but hav located plain Gluten Flour ~ my local Bulk Barn here in Pickering. I spoke with the mgr of that store & his response was "well all flour comes from wheat orginally so it really is wheat gluten" I'm wondering if their are any ways I can add in something to equal the formula with my Gluten Flour? Like I said Help? cuz I was planning alot of baking & bought 5lbs. of this flour.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Vital wheat gluten and gluten flour might and might not be the same thing. Read the label and compare how many carbs it has with regular flour. If it's significantly lower or tells your to add the product in proportion to the flour in your regular recipes then it's wheat gluten. If not, then it's bakers flour which has more gluten.

I think there's a misprint in the recipe for the amounth of baking soda, perhaps it means 2 teaspoons which would be more reasonable.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Vital wheat gluten - the kind we low-carbers use - should be at least 80% protein and weigh in at about 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup.

A reliable brand that's readily available is Bob's Red Mill. I've even seen it in grocery stores.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Vital wheat gluten - the kind we low-carbers use - should be at least 80% protein and weigh in at about 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup.

A reliable brand that's readily available is Bob's Red Mill. I've even seen it in grocery stores.

Another brand of Vital Wheat Gluten I've seen in the stores, in the bulk bin section, is the SuperGluten 80, which may be the Canadian naming convention. It's the same as Vital Wheat Gluten, 80% gluten protein or more and therefore very few carbs.

Another US brand to keep an eye out for is Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten, 75-80% gluten.

Regular All-Purpose Flour contains only 12-14% gluten (in the US, max 12%, in Canada up to 14%). "High Gluten Bread Flour" is at the 14% level.

Hope this helps.