Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Ah ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichihuahua
...I've heard this happens when you hit a weight that you stayed at for a long time in the past. Well, I'm at one of those weights. I guess the only thing to do is keep on keeping on. Ugh!!

Thanks for mentioning that. I'd been contemplating posting a question about "old" fat being harder to lose than "new" fat.

I've been doing the 2-4 pound bounce battle for weeks and am at a weight that was my norm for several years -- but that was over a decade ago. It seems my losses have been from the newer fat that was less entrenched and now it's time to go to war with the well-established fat.

Time to dig in and work a bit harder to get going again. Persistence seems to be the word of the day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 08:49

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I read a post some time ago where the individual said they only considered themselves to weigh what their lowest weight had been and paid no attention to the flucuations...I thought that was a terrific idea (as long as you are faithful to whatever plan you are on, of course). There are too many things that can make the needle on the scale go up and down and the stress over watching that needle can sabotage you. I agree with the concept that whatever my lowest weight was, that is what I weigh. But I am faithful to my WOE so I know I'm not gaining real weight...cheat and you are on the road to true weight gain. There are some really scarey posts from folks who have "cheated just once" and ended up off this WOE and gained a tremendous amount of weight. If I am tempted I just go read one and that's all it takes for me!

Last edited by FromVA : Tue, Oct-28-03 at 08:53.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

Stick with it! The water weight will go away,I sometimes go up a few pounds on the scale around tom. I also retain water after a hard work out. When my body is ready it releases it. Dont worry you may even get a huge WHOOSH!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:10
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I think using your lowest weight is probably a really good idea as long as you have been true to WOE. My work scedual is so odd that I often wake up at different times in the morning. I can weigh as much as 3 pounds more or less depending on how late I weigh in. This is before my meal or any water.

Gabrielle
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:22

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Be kind to yourself and remember that the scale is just one tool, and it doesn't show how much of the weight loss/gain is water and how much is fat.

Also, our weight can vary depending on how much food is making its way through our digestive tract. Water retention isn't the only thing that makes our weight fluctuate.

When my weight bounces up a couple pounds, that can put me in a foul mood all day. For that reason, I skip the daily weighing. I weigh in once a week, or when I absolutely know that I have lost something. Those daily fluctuations drive me crazy.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:35

BF:

Colleen1: Impressive stats...great job!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:43

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Thanks so much, FromVA!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:23

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well today I am up yet again to 189.2... I am trying to not let this bother me, but honestly it does a little. I have re examined my eating habits over the past few weeks. I haven't really cheated or anything, but I think I have had some legal things here and there that may be the culprits (I had a lovely asian pear on Sunday... mmmmm). So I think I am going to get strict again - maybe not go back to strict induction, but cut out a lot of the specialty cheese, fruits etc. that I have been eating and see if that helps.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:02

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

That zig zag pattern has been mine since the beginning. I have NEVER loose without gaining it back again, so I celebrate the new low, forget the gain and wait for a new low...
Anyway it has helped me a lot to keep up my motivation to average all the weight of all days of the week and almost always is lower than the weight of the week before.
Cheers, Isiar
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%

My weight has been stuck before too...BUT have the inches moved down?

If you are working out your weight can stay the same for quite some time even though you are shrinking in size.

Good luck and hope you see that whooshie thingy soon.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:37

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't been stuck for long but I have been wondering because of those 2-5 pounds that keep fluctuating, is it maybe becuase I'm eating too many carbs? I got stuck right when I moved on to OWL, DA says to add 5 carbs if you gain take 5 away does that include the 2-5 lbs we are talking about? I'm confused.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been between 145 & 150 for a month. It would be frustrating, but in the meantime the pants that fit just a tad snugly are now two inches loose in the waist.
So I don't care. Try to pick another measure of your progress. I think this is why Dr. Atkins stressed taking measurements. He knew this sort of thing happens.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:55

BF:

adkpam: You look terrific...inspiration for me to just hang in there and never become discouraged! Thanks!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:57

Stats: 222/206/165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

coming off induction i stayed at 207 for like 3 weeks. Finally this morning I saw 205...
it makes you second guess yourself, "am i doing this right?" "am i eating too many carbs" "do peanuts or aspartame stall me?" it's so frustrating to wait out, but when it finally comes it's a relief and inspiration to keep on trucking.