Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/193/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default My neighbor is an Atkins authority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a neighbor or friend who knows all the reasons you shouldn't be on Atkins? My neighbor (male) who hasn't seen me in a while, was shocked by my weight loss. Although I've been on Atkins since Jan. He told my husband that I was losing weight too fast, and that Atkins wasn't good for me to be on. I asked my husband, what does he know? He's at least 100lbs. overweight himself, he also has very high blood pressure, and who knows what other problems. I've found this same response, from my co-workers ,to my weight loss. When they asked me how long can I stay on this diet, I reply, "I'm not on a diet, this is the way I choose to eat for the rest of my life." I just want to add, I feel great! Having been cheat free since Jan. 13, 2003.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I get it from people all the time.... Tonight I made a comment at football practice I was making buffalo wings for dinner. My friend commented "I thought you were on a diet". Followed by you wont loose weight that way. I looked him straight in the face and called him a "dumbass" and walked away!!!! He came over later and begged for forgivnesss lol
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:24

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

It is pretty amazing how those so called experts will be begging you to tell the the secrets of your weight loss in a few more pounds. Once you become a walking talking billboard for the Atkins WOL you'd be surprised at how quickly they forget all the bad stuff about your WOE. LOL
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 21:25

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

My parents are advocates of the Weight Watchers way of life, namely high-carb, low-fat. They do not necessarily agree with my choice, but they do respect it and are willing to accomodate me if/when I eat at their place.

I cannot blame them, though, because their WOL has worked wonderfully for them weight-wise. Of course, enjoyment and satisfaction are another story.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 04:13

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've got a degree qualified Physical trainer in our office (she's only young and doing some office work on the side).

She will actually go and buy a packet of lollies (sweets) and saay it's okay because it's low fat!!!

wtf ?? SO much for the so-called experts!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 05:39

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Sounds like a little Atkins envy mixed with a large dose of denial on the part of your neighbor. Congratulations on your loss! Julie.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 06:35

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

well I personally dont think you've lost too fast! you're doing great! I have had cashiers at grocery stores lay into me about atkins and how I am killing myself eating this way...lol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 08:33

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

The nerve of some people. I have people talk to me in the office all the time about how I'm "killing myself" trying to get rid of my wieght. They make comments like "Aren't you supposed to go off that diet every few weeks or soemthing?" or "You know that you are harming your kidney's by doing that low-carb thing" ETC!... I really get fed up with hearing these kinds of comments sometimes, but you know, when I am at my goal weight and all of these people are still attending thier weight watchers meetings, I'll smile in thier face and in my head be thinking "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Lots of love,
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:50

Stats: 271/193/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just want to add that yesterday there was an article on my msn homepage by Weight Watchers, basically attacking lc eating. After reading part of the article, I can see why people get the wrong impression of lc eating. As a former W.W. member, I remember starving myself to lose the weight I did, and going to bed many nights, hungry. I don't have that problem on lc. lol ddmumm
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:22

Plan: general low carbing
Stats: 225/200/150 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am not very informed in regards to people who have to be on a diabetic diet, but it seems to me that by following a l.c. way of eating we will not have to deal with becoming diabetics. Correct me if I am wrong, please.
When my daughers MIL was diagnosed as a diabetic, she had to watch her carbs. and lost a lot of weight.
She now has it under control, and is allowed 45 carbs. per meal. That is still only 135 per day. If it is a safe way for diabetics to eat, then I would say it is a healthy way for all.
By eating this way, I am filled and am satisfied. I don't have to constantly be telling myself, no to this, not to that. I eat and am satisfied until I am hungry again, which is when it is time to eat (4 or 5 hrs.) my next meal.
How can that be bad for anyone??
I could see that if a person were only to eat meat and cheese that they wouldn't get all the vitamins, etc. and that could affect their health. With this WOE I am eating healthier than I have in many years!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:37

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

You are right, shari kay - more and more doctors are now telling their diabetic patients that they need to watch their carbs. My sister was just advised to watch her carbs and was given 45/meal. She started at 10/meal like I have been doing and her sugar was dropping too fast (she is insulin dependent, I just take meds), so she upped it to around 30/meal. I told her to make sure she really keeps an eye on here levels because she might need to adjust her insulin shots in the near future.

Surprisingly, I am not getting the comments like I used to back when I first started. Slowly folks are starting to get the hint.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:09

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

Don't you just love these experts. Meanwhile his plan is working so well. That's ok you'll laugh your way to the scale and the clean bill of health from the docs. If it was good enough for my ancestors, it's good enough for me.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 06:21

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I just had a conversation the other day with one of my neighbors --- she noticed my weight loss and asked me how I was doing it. When I told her Atkin's, she automatically reverted to the anti-LC crap you hear everywhere. She said she just couldn't eat that way - all that bacon, no veggies ever - her mind and body just wouln't function eating like that, and it probably would kill her. Boy did I have a lot to tell her about! We ended the conversation with me handing her the Atkin's book (one of my 2 copies was in the car) and she's sounded very excited to read it. She was shocked when I started rattling off the veggies that are allowed and told her how I have a nice sized salad every day for lunch. She swore up and down she had heard that no veggies were allowed on Atkin's - and I told her I believed her, but it's not true and is just negative propaganda spurred on by low fat pushers who have never read the book!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:48
? what to put here ?

Plan: Atkins / Calorie counting
Stats: 385/204/195 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 95%

ddmmm...
Congrats on being cheat free!!!!