Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 00:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%
Default proc. cheese/sundried tom.etc.lets talk~~~

Chello everybody. I have a couple things I just wanted to chat about and get others opinions. (FYI im in 3rd week,, seems to be going ok...so far.)

#1) Does anybody eat sun-dried tomatoes? I really like them. How do they work in this WOL? I dont eat them every day but just on salads maybe 2wice a week.

#2) Processed cheese, i was reading the label and I saw something about "potato starch" & "cellulose". Are these no nos?I dont even completely understand what processed means.. LOL.. (ditzy me). Its shredded and comes in a bag.

#3) Has anybody noticed they crave sodium when eating LC? I have.

#4) I got the Colon Cleanser with psyllium husk in it. Has anybody tried it? Today was my first day taking it. So we'll see. I do feel a bit constipated so if this doesnt do it i'll have to settle for some sort of fiber lax. eek.

Ok. well. Let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 01:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Sun-dried tomatoes would be good, just keep in mind tomatoes are kind of carby, and use accordingly. I've dried a lot of tomatoes in the past and it's a great way to preserve them. In fact, it brings to mind a special 'pink' sauce I always used them in for pasta, which would be very low carb, indeed (the sauce, not the pasta. ) I also liked them cut up into salads. Yum!

Different processed cheeses use different ingredients. Basically, the cheese is mixed with other ingredients. If the ingredients look safe and the carb count is within cheese limits, then I don't think a little is going to hurt.

Salt? Hmmm. Not craving any salt. Maybe you aren't getting enough in your food. It seems like every few days I end up getting way too much!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins says to stay far away from processed cheeses. Not only do they contain other starchy fillers, but many contain hydroginated oils. Those are the kind that can raise colesterol and do nasty things to the heart.

Instead of going for processed, use the real thing. If you like the convience of presliced, get cheeses from the deli. Yes processed cheese lasts forever, but that should be a warning sign. Most foods are not ment to last forever and that means things have been added or removed.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:46
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I would say go for the sundried tomatoes... but use sparingly... they have about 2x the carbs of regular tomatoes... just cause they are smaller doesn't matter... remember the size of the tomato before it is dried...

I would stay away from the cheese... You can have the real thing now... why not enjoy the good stuff...

I love salt... I have been craving salty foods alittle bit more often than before LC'ing... but nothing totally unusual for me...
If you are having alot of sodium.. salt... just drink extra water so you don't retain water...

Good luck