Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/152/130 Female 5'6
BF:how do you know?
Progress: 8%
Default ketosis and not losing?

good evening everyone.....

i am wondering if someone could clarify ketosis for me -
does ketosis imply that you are losing your *stored* fat,
or can you be on ketosis and only be burning fat that you are
intaking through foods etc?

ive been in ketosis since i started nearly 3 weeks ago,
flucuating between moderate to trace amounts, and
have basically stopped losing any weight during week three.
but i have also added in other carbs (i.e. atkins advantage bars
and shakes, primarily, and nuts too).

should i be losing weight if i am in ketosis? or can you be in ketosis
but not losing any weight because im taking in too many carbs?
but if i am taking in too many carbs, shouldnt that imply that i should
no longer be in ketosis?

thanks so much for your insights -
you all are always so helpful...

cheerios,
mossygyrl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 00:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

Cheerio Mossy! I am no expert; yet i think its safe to say that you *can* be in ketosis and not be losing significant weight; perhaps due to exercise levels maybe, or your body adjusting to this new lifestyle.

This is also happening to me. I am in my 3rd week right now and always moderate to trace levels; which is sort of discouraging because I am staying WELL within the guidelines I THINK//// unsure.

I was thinking the lower levels of ketosis could mabe be due to high water intake levels. I drink so much.

I would say keep with it. Don't get discouraged. Its gotta happen if we just keep on truckin. Maybe if you start a journal that would help everybody out here in helping you out with this long journey.

The thing about exercise is that some say you dont really have to to lose weight, but do it for health reasons anyhow; however, i think if you're eating more calories than you burn, either way its hard to lose. You just might not gain or lose at a slower pace. So hopefully we'll get some more insight on this thread! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 00:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mossygyrl,

Yes indeed, you can be showing positive ketones from the fat in the food you are eating. Alcohol will also give a "false positive."

If you go to Low Carb Tips on the orange band at the top of the screen, you'll find more information in an excellent article there by Doreen T called Ketosis and Ketone Test Strips.

You may find that the reason you have stopped losing is that you have added sugar alcohols (in the LC bars). They are notorious for stopping weight loss in some unlucky people. (You'll find an article about sugar alcohols too, in Low Carb Tips. )

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 00:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi!
The bars and shakes are known weight loss stallers for a lot of people on the forum so that might be your problem.

Also it doesn't matter what level of ketosis you are in...you are either in it or not. Most of the time the darker shades (on the strips) will be caused from not taking in enough water and being dehydrated. Yes, ketosis does mean you are burning fat. You don't have that much weight to lose so unfortunately, you can expect to lose slower than someone with a lot to lose. It will come off though.

I see by your profile that you haven't read any low carb books. I can't tell you how much getting and reading one will help you. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution explains ketosis in detail and also the rules and regulations of the diet. If you decide to do something other than Atkins, get the book for it. I don't think I could have done this diet at all if I hadn't had the book to refer to often.

Glad to have you here with us and best of luck to you!