Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 02:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default fat to protein to carb percentage

Hey guys...I've seen it somewhere on here before, but I seem to have forgotten...what is the correct intake percentage for the above daily while on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 06:33

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

For Induction my rule of thumb is the bare min calories that you need to consume are 10-12x your weight. Don't go under that number but don't really worry about how much you go over that number either. Calories don't really matter on Induction.

For Fat-70% Protein-25% and Carbs 5%

For protein generally you may consume 1 gram per lean body mass unless you are weight training and if you are you would need to increase your protein a bit. For carbs stay under 20 grams a day and write down everything that you eat. Using Fitday.com is really helpful. It takes a little getting use to entering your food into the computer everyday, but it calculates everything for you!

A typical induction day for me:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs using real unsalted butter and 3 slices bacon with water

Lunch: Burger King Chicken Caesar Salad with 4 Tablespoons of Newman's Own Natural Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (I buy the dressing at the grocery store and keep it in my desk at work-it doesn't need refrigerated and it's high in fat and you need fat)

Snack: 10 grape tomatos and 2 slices of natural cheddar cheese

Dinner: Hamburger w/let, tom, mayo and mustard
1 cup of steamed broc with 1 pat butter and 1 Tablespoon mayo

Calories:1680
Fat: 132 71%
Protein: 101 24%
Carbs: 19 5%

Hope I could help and welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/275/150 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default clarification please

10-12x your weight in calories? So, if you way 230lbs, you could consume 2300 calories and still be ok as long as you keep the protein, fat and carb %'s in check?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Exactly...it's hard enough eating as much as I do now...and I'm always satisfied. I couldn't possibly eat 2200 calories of food a day. I usually take in abou 1400-1500 according to fit day. Should I just up my fat intake then? And if so ...how?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:58

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

E-Lo
I've seen it said that as long as you keep your calories above 1200 then you shouldn't be worried about calories at all while on induction and when you still have a bit of weight to lose.

There are easy ways to get your fat intake up while on induction ... use olive oil (a very good fat) in your salads or drizzle on other foods, 1/2 an avocado (another very good fat), mayo, and butter are the easiest. Of course there are also cheeses ... but remember that Atkins recommends limiting them to only 3-4oz while on induction.

Way to go on your weight loss so far and keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:59

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Lori,

i was just reading along and noticed that you had quit smoking - good for you!!! That is such an awesome accomplishment.

We were in Del Mar this summer as my daughter was playing soccer in the Surf Cup. It was beautiful and we had a great time.

Sally
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 19:58

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

indigogirl
Thanks for the support. I am proud to have been able to quit smoking!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to Del Mar. It is indeed a beautiful place. Does your daughter make it to the surf cup each year or was this a really great year for her team? Congratulations on her making it to the cup.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 20:29

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

HI,

She was on the BC Provincial rep team - top girls from all over the province. She is at the youngest age group to be on a provincial team (age 14) so it was her first year to the Surf Cup. She is not sure if she wants to try out again this year - it was an enormous commitment and she had to give up lots of other sports and activities. She told me she wants to take a year off to have fun and then be serious again next year - so we'll see what happens.

One of her teammates lost her house in one of the many forest fires we had this summer - she also lost all her surf cup memorabilia. I contacted the organizers and they were kind enough to donate some clothing for her. It was so wonderful of them!

Sally